The bible

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Afentius
Forum Intermediate

Come_Forth[D12] wrote:I used to be a very conservative (Protestant) Christian so that is mainly what I know lol.

Ah just let natural selection screw around for a few billion years, look what it has done in a few thousand!

thats what I am right now mate... and LOL!!!!!!
The Xeno
n00b prophet
ID: 0

??? wrote:wow what fun debate the never ending one. Well now that i am here there is a few questions i woudl like to ask the people whom believe in god.

Interesting that you would use a guest account to ask them.
Ah well... might as well walk into a trap head-first. :P
I would suggest that you search for more theologically credited evangelists, if you wish the finer points... (Not to suggest in anyway that I have even the most rudimentary credentials for discussions relating to faith. Or many temporal and mundane things for that matter.)

1. If god created the world in 7 days on what day did he create and kill the dinosaurs. and why ?

I would assume he created them along with the other land animals; day 6 iirc. Further I wouldn't describe him as 'killing' them off, creationist explinations range from climate change, noahs flood and climate change, human activity, and etc. the answer for the date of their extinction ranges in time from millions of years (old-earth) to less than 4,500 years (young-earth).

Likewise, evolutionist theories and time-tables also cover a wide range.
From the clichéd meteor, to volcanoes, to climate change, to human activity, to parasites, to a global flood....

2. If god created man in his own image why was woman supposedly made second and how much of the bible was written by a woman ?

There are reams upon reams written about this. :wink:
As for your query about the Bible, as far as I know, no woman directly participated in it's writing. However that does not reflect on some sexist leaning of Christianity, just the demographics of literacy at the time.
Keep in mind, women have always played a leading role in the scriptures, and have likewise held high regard in the life of the Church.

We are all human in God's eyes, as I said earlier, gender has little to do with a things perfection.

3. IF mary was a virgin did she have a husband?

Yes. Joseph the carpenter.
Afentius
Forum Intermediate

The Xeno wrote:There are reams upon reams written about this. :wink:
As for your query about the Bible, as far as I know, no woman directly participated in it's writing. However that does not reflect on some sexist leaning of Christianity, just the demographics of literacy at the time.
Keep in mind, women have always played a leading role in the scriptures, and have likewise held high regard in the life of the Church.

We are all human in God's eyes, as I said earlier, gender has little to do with a things perfection.

:shock: I think you meant.. "Keep in mind, MEN have always played a leading role in the.."
lol, and the reason is, men are supposed to lead in the household, and in the church... there is nothing wrong with that that I can see.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

2. If god created man in his own image why was woman supposedly made second and how much of the bible was written by a woman ?

If you read the first few chapters in Genesis you will see two creation accounts.

First creation account
Genesis 1:26-28 KJV

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth F6 upon the earth. "

Second account of creation.
Genesis 2:7

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

2:18
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

I do not think that any was written by females but females do play an important part but they could not hold authority and once Paul/Saul comes along he continues the sexist attitude in the NT.

1 Timothy 2:9-15
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Speak to the people of Israel, saying: If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days; as at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean. Her time of blood purification shall be thirty-three days; she shall not touch any holy thing, or come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purification are completed. If she bears a female child, she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her menstruation; her time of blood purification shall be sixty-six days.
(Lev. 12:2-5)
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Afentius
Forum Intermediate

Come_Forth[D12] wrote:

If you read the first few chapters in Genesis you will see two creation accounts.

First creation account
Genesis 1:26-28 KJV

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth F6 upon the earth. "

Second account of creation.
Genesis 2:7

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

2:18
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

I do not think that any was written by females but females do play an important part but they could not hold authority and once Paul/Saul comes along he continues the sexist attitude in the NT.

1 Timothy 2:9-15
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Speak to the people of Israel, saying: If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days; as at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean. Her time of blood purification shall be thirty-three days; she shall not touch any holy thing, or come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purification are completed. If she bears a female child, she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her menstruation; her time of blood purification shall be sixty-six days.

weeee you have better answers than I do
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Those are God's answers I do not agree with them or like them.

I find this kind of stuff sick:

1 Sam. 15:3
{3} Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

"And he brought forth the people that were therein, and put them under saws, and under harrows of iron, and under the axes of iron, and made them pass through the brickkiln: and thus did he unto all the cities of the children of Ammon. So David and all the people returned unto Jerusalem." (II Samuel 12:31)

"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

Enough said :(
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

The Bible wrote:Speak to the people of Israel, saying: If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days; as at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean. Her time of blood purification shall be thirty-three days; she shall not touch any holy thing, or come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purification are completed. If she bears a female child, she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her menstruation; her time of blood purification shall be sixty-six days.

As if you would want any male attempting to touch you for at LEAST 2 weeks after bearing a child, male or female. :o Once you have passed a watermelon through "there" (or even through a nice little ceaser like I did) you don't allow anything with a Y chromosome with a 20 meter radius for MONTHS! Just ask poor Titanium........... :wink:
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
Apadizamek
Forum Spammer
Race: Goauld
ID: 1925332

*sends poor titanium 100kUU

poor guy*

rofl i just personally cant see a single being excisting a supreme ascended RACE i could see
AncientAnubis wrote:Would you be worthy of being a God if you didn't have an overinflated ego?
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

At least having children will get you into heaven lol
John Stuart Mill
The Xeno
n00b prophet

"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

“The oracle concerning Babylon which Isaiah the son of Amoz saw”
Historically, the full passage is believed to reference the sacking of Babylon by the Persians in 539BC. Iirc, the Persian king also frees the Israelites, who are slaves in the Babylonian city.

1 Sam. 15:3
{3} Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

I believe the Am'alek's were the same who assaulted the fleeing Israelites as they left Egypt. Over the course of time, they continued to attack the Israelites, along with the more well known philistines.

And he brought forth the people that were therein, and put them under saws, and under harrows of iron, and under the axes of iron, and made them pass through the brickkiln: and thus did he unto all the cities of the children of Ammon. So David and all the people returned unto Jerusalem."

The ammonites hired thirty-three thousand (33,000) Syrian soldiers, drew up a native army of their own and attacked Israel. The conclusion of the war was the sacking of the ammonite capital. Do note that 'under the harrows of iron' and etc. are often translated "and set them to labor with saws and iron picks, and iron axes" etc.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Lol the Jews as the Bible tells it pretty much destroyed everyone in the promised land. So the people were just defending it from the Jews but the Jews killed them all.

The attacks were in no way justified.
John Stuart Mill
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Actually, I would say they were. Eye for and Eye isn't often seen nowadays, but I would suggest that in those days it was the only way to go. In all three cases, the Israelites have been attacked, often for generations.

In two of the three cases, the Israelites face extinction should they not resist.
In two of the three cases, if the Israelites fight back, but do not take the war to the enemy; they will be fighting an endless war.
If, however, in two of the three cases, they utterly vanquish their enemies, tribes and cities who have been attacking them for generations; well, it's over.

In the case of modern times, the enemy is decentralized, the people incohesive.
One only needed to defeat the army and the leader, see Hitler’s Germany.
The Isrealites however, were dealing with an enemy closer to that found in Iraq, veitnam, and Afghanistan. If anything, the tribes they fought were far, far, more fanatical.
The end meted out to their enemies, would have been the same end they would have received.

---------

In the third case, the Israelites are already slaves and 'toiling under the harrows of iron'. The Persians subjugate Babylon, and free them.

----------
Once again,
The Israelites are not More's Utopians, who see a plot of unused farmland and slit the throats of the slothful owners. :roll:
God does not say: that city is in the way of my Children’s sheep... "poof"
No, The Israelites are putting an end to generations long attacks, by stopping the source rather than treating the bloody symptoms. Something that any nation would do.

<selfEdit2>
Speak to the people of Israel, saying: If a woman conceives and bears a male child, she shall be ceremonially unclean seven days; as at the time of her menstruation, she shall be unclean.

Do remember, men have similar passages... albeit they do not directly relate to childbirth. :)

<selfedit>
On a somewhat random note:
Exodus 4:2-4 wrote:The Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?"
[Moses] said "A rod" And [God] said, "Cast it on the ground"
So [Moses] cast it on the ground and it became a serpent; And Moses fled from it.

I've always found that rather funny, and also an insight into the imperfections of man. :)
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Quote:
SO because god is a him it would automatically imply men are far more perfect them women..we know thats not true! and to give god an imperfect attribute..you cannot do it...as he will become imperfect."

Again, I ask you... how would making God a woman make him any more perfect?
How would making him a neuter make him any more perfect?

How would changing a things gender, make that thing more perfect?
If we take a human, and make him/her neuter, have we make 'it' more perfect? Hardly....
The same holds true for God. Either he is perfect, or he is not, gender does not matter. Smile

And again, this is assuming we take 'Him' in an extremely literal and unimaginative way.

no...i did not say making god a gender would make him perfect..you are dancing around the fundemental point and i think, deliberately misenterpreting what i say because you cannot argue against it...or your literally very badly misinterpreting what im saying, which i doubt as you appear marginally bright.

Having a gender is an attribute of imperfection. Being a neuter is having a gender isnt it? its in between the two, its a neutral gender. as god is perfect, it cannot have an attibute of the imperfect. hence because the bible gives god the attribute of the imperfect and yet claims god is perfect ...it contradicts itself.

ill lay this out simply for you.

GENDER - attribute = IMPERFECT (neuter, male, female)
GOD (supposedly) = PERFECT

PERFECT + IMPERFECT = LESS THEN PERFECT
SO...if the bible wishes to claim god as a him, it is wrong to begin with.

ill put it in another simple way for you. the simplest i can possibly see. A perfect being cannot have the attributes of a imperfect being. if god is perfect it cannot be a him as that is an attribute of the imperfect, so in the context of the bible it proves something in the book false, giving much reason for doubt to the rest of the book.

In the context of Gods existence. It proves nothing as you can simply claim you do not believ god to be a him, as we cannot prove that god has that imperfect attribute, and ultimately this argument becomes insignificant in the conexct of proving its ultimate existence, for that you would be looking at the cosmological and teleological arguments...the un moved mover. You are taking my argument as one against god itself, not the bible and what it says, so please..read and understand properly..if xeno, you wish to post another repeat of your previous argumentsand continue to dance around the fact you have been pwned because there is no counter to that fact..trust me..we spent weeks studying how the bible is wrong from a philosophical point

smile. I now rest my case on the bible, you want to argue about god..give me a link..and ill destroy the teleological and cosmological arguments for you, but ultimately im more inclined to belive there is a god..for the mere purpose of hope.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D [/quote]
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Having a gender is an attribute of imperfection. Being a neuter is having a gender isnt it? its in between the two, its a neutral gender.

I've always held that neuter was being without gender, (an inanimate rock for instance), or having the attributes of both genders (our friend the microbe and thus being both).
<self edit> Neuter: Neither masculine nor feminine in gender.
Once again, I do not understand how a gender (he,she,it) implies inherent imperfection.
So far, the only reason you've given is a purely physical one that I simply don't see as having any consequence when dealing with the metaphysical.
"(as both genders have majour faults as neither can reproduce without the other etc etc)"

ill lay this out simply for you.
GENDER - attribute = IMPERFECT (neuter, male, female)
GOD (supposedly) = PERFECT

I would agree with you. That is quite logical if the premise is valid; However, I still don't see how you have arrived at the sexist conclusion that a gender implies inherent imperfection.
It might for biological species, when relating to the scientific criterion for life, but I don't consider women less because they are female; and I certainly don't consider our friend the asexual microbe to be of more value than a fellow human just because it is genderless.

the simplest i can possibly see. A perfect being cannot have the attributes of a imperfect being.

I disagree. Some elements of an imperfect being can be perfect.
Thus not all elements that go into an imperfect being (a human for instance) are necessarily imperfect. One bad apple will spoil the bushel as you prove above. They need not all be bad.

Again, my problem lies with your claim that gender in-and-of-itself carries any weight when dealing with the metaphysical. If so, that microbe, or sexless piece of sediment, are of far more value and perfection than man.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

I do not think that God has a sex.

"Being which none greater can be conceived."

God would have no use for any sort of sex organs so He/She/It is just a personality trait. I think that the God of the Bible acts like a male so people just call Him/Her/It a male based on personality.
John Stuart Mill

Return to “The Book Club”