Forum Modding becoming OTT?

want to publicly say something about the current Forum Mods? The Mod setup? The Rules of the Forum? here you go...
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Technocracy
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1910219

Re: Forum Modding becoming OTT?

goodie wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:
23:13 Lord Emerson ascendedAttack 35,171,722 Life Force Lost...

lessens this by 92,132,147 to 35,171,722 total damage taken

reduces by 96,289,411 resulting in 70,265,246 total damage inflicted by Darkalbino_ on Lord Emerson!

19:02 MassinForChrist ascendedAttack 39,852,557 Life Force Lost

lessens this by 104,393,572 to 39,852,557 total damage taken

reduces by 83,552,324 resulting in 87,661,455 total damage inflicted by Darkalbino_ on MassinForChrist!

:D

Yup... my not updated in the last 12 months or so ascended attack managed to do half of your current stats damage. (ps: 12 months ago i was ranked somewhere in the 500+ influence wise)

Now... should i update it? or not?

-Goodie

As shown in this post, its relatively easy to see who's stats are who's. total damage inflicted by Darkalbino_ on MassinForChrist!

Normally one would assume a number becomes before this, and that normally belongs to the person inflicting the damage...

Sorry guys, but I have one suggestion. Get to what counts. Stop modding the politically correct stuff and start cleaning threads. My war threads are still filled with spam after numerous requests to remove it.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Darkalbino_ wrote:As shown in this post, its relatively easy to see who's stats are who's. total damage inflicted by Darkalbino_ on MassinForChrist!

Normally one would assume a number becomes before this, and that normally belongs to the person inflicting the damage...

Sorry guys, but I have one suggestion. Get to what counts. Stop modding the politically correct stuff and start cleaning threads. My war threads are still filled with spam after numerous requests to remove it.

and have those requests come in the correct manner? (through the use of report post function)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Zeratul wrote:and have those requests come in the correct manner? (through the use of report post function)

LOL that's asking a bit too much Zerri.
Image ImageImageImage
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

sometimes threads get lost in the multitude, and thus not cleaned...

but if the report post function is used, it will be dealt with...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

@ darkalbino - It's never been allowed to post others stats on the forum, in any shape - and personally, I agree with Psi, standards on this forum have been allowed to lapse over the years, leading to more arrogance and ignorance being posted - which in turn led to more arrogance and ignorance towards the mods when they have done nothing except do their job.

If anything, the modding recently has gotten better than what it has been in a long time, so to say it is OTT is just ludicrous and seems to stem from the fact that you have had something modded that you don't agree with (rightly or wrongly) - in which case you have an ombudsman to go through, not to post bleating about it in General.

@ teesdale - yes, you can see peoples stats by spying on them - but not everyone can spy on everyone in game - therefore stat posting is not allowed, because I'm sure if it was, then we'd have some people who would post the stats of others to encourage people to gang up on them, or simply because they had a grudge on them.

The ability to see somebody's stats needs to be earned - not given away for free on a forum. What happens outside these forums is not our concern - but while the rule exists (and it isn't going to be removed) it will be abided by or modded accordingly. Whether people disagree with or dislike the rule is, frankly, irrelevant.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

Semper i am here RL just needed my Attention dont you worry, i will soon get enough time to be back 100% as i was before i had to look RL up so no worries you will have me back to be here helping you out.

Beside your clean up of GM nah we have some good GM's amongst us some might need to go because of Time issues that we can talk about.

Beside that its just a thing about finding a strict new forum where rules that are here are honoured and breaking them wont get a eyebrown or a user finding it wrong then we are where we should be heck if we could get rules all would follow so the mods had nothing to do beside the odd moving a thread then we would be perfect never gonna happen but still.

On another Note the rules of Stats has been here since [29/04/08] and as the rules says you should have been warned for it before we just removed but i do recall the new rules which are here says warnable

As you can see under Rule 5 which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=101808:

e. Stat posting
The posting of other users current in game stats are not permitted on the SGW forums. You are however permitted to post your own.

Consequence:
The offending user will be given one warning point.

Now that you didnt get a warning was only because Clarckey is nice. And that he then accidently took yours because he where in doubt is not over the top.

And those rules where as i would like to quote thanks to following reason:

Jack wrote:lol

It was the users that wanted the no stats rules, and stricter insult rules. ;)
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

On one hand you have this, and on one hand you have that...

The forum standards had slacked, we have tightened up. It will no doubt take time for the mods to discover exactly the correct mix of ingrediants...that mix will come with time, all they need to do is keep on modding. Mistakes are inevitable, and not blameless, but nor should a mod be blamed for makeing a small mistake like editing out your stats, as well as someone elses... Come on, Get real here. They arent getting paid and neither are we, So how about you get with the programe, see that we are trying to turn it into the nice, Polite, Fun place it was, You know you can have fun without insulting people, Right? We allow banter in all but one war thread, That being TJP vs FUALL, Why have be dissalowed it there? Because of repeated abusive and offensive posts that where simply unaceptable, Yes, Call someone a n00b if they fail to mass you, But dont call there mother one.

As to semper's point, You'd be surprised which mods do work and which dont, All talk and no action, All action and no talk, Or both, or neither. I have a button i can click which lets me see exactly who has done what in the past 3 years of the forums existance, 1 person may move a say high profile topic, Or lock it , once every week, and earn huge amounts of credit. Others may do alot of editing, verbal warning for minor infringements, moveing of spam and the wrong places...Its not a case of "A to B". And the admins are still able to mod you know...Im sure i locked something just the other...week...
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

You want OTT modding? I've got OTT modding for you.....

Today I was banned from a forum because I dared to ask for clarification from an Admin when he posted the following (at the start of a new topic):

"I need $200 for November's Payments"

That was it - no explanation. I searched the forum high and low - every thread for some insight - nothing. So I asked for clarification, stating that if he wants help, he should let people know what exactly it's for.

I was told I was being rude.

I explained I wasn't being rude - and was subsequently warned via pm.

I replied, asking what the warning was for, and that if he didn't have a reason, I demanded it to be removed.

My request went largely ignored, so I took it public, in his 'November Payments' thread - stating the warning, and asking clarification for what it was for. I also asked for somebody to point me in the direction of the rules, so I could see for myself what rules I had broken (They don't exist - I'd already checked!).

I was subsequently banned and apparently my account was deleted and all posts removed - ironic really, since the topics I'd started were generating about 60% of the forum conversation!

Another forum user was also subsequently banning for agreeing with me (and all the bannings happened while I was at the cinema!).

That's OTT!
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

no, I don't see the need for name calling etc at all.

As Buck posted in his thread a while back, don't post anything you wouldn't say to your gran and things will be fine.

Its about having respect for others of the SGW community.

Stat posting has been a no-no for as long as I can remember.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Technocracy
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1910219

Well I have seen both sides of the argument, and still hold the same view I use to. I have one question though, to anyone and everyone. Should a person be warned for saying any of the following on the forum: "S***", "F***", "B****", "C***" ?
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Yes, because that is masking, which is generally used to cover up swearing - and the simple fact is, it is against the rules - there's no other argument.
Mod Speak
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Darkalbino_ wrote:Well I have seen both sides of the argument, and still hold the same view I use to. I have one question though, to anyone and everyone. Should a person be warned for saying any of the following on the forum: "S***", "F***", "B****", "C***" ?

Yes they should, and personally I see no need to use that language on these forums.
Even in roleplay in the GC there is no need for that language.
Image ImageImageImage
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

given the broad range of ages of ppl using the forum, I think ppl should try to self mod their posts.

Ask if you would like your mother or younger siblings talked to/about like that by anyone?
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

@ Nimras. Well that opinion on the GM is very subjective. I strongly dissagree lol. I am very certain I could do a better job than all current GM's save wolf. (admins excluded)

@Buck. Yes and from what I can see the magic button just lends more merit to my points if you take a peek. As for the Admins modding, well I never address that because your admins, not mods. It is not your job to mod the forums directly say like a GM or regular lackey. I mean, I am not telling you what your job is, as you decide that because your the boss, but as far as I am concerned, if I were admin, modding would not be on my agenda because they are two very different positions, a point that has become very muddy in recent years.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

Needs must...and So on...
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."

Return to “Forum & Mod Feedback”