Halo

solmyr
Forum Elite
Alliance: Faded Empire
Race: Masstastic
ID: 94442
Alternate name(s): Thurisaz, Dance Commander

Re: Halo

yeah but your post on tactics is what i usually play... like i said youtube MLG..... youll see what i mean, plenty of map control, teamwork, communication and just damn awesomness
TRADED WITH ME??? Lemme Know how it went!!
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=154179
8 Multi's reported and banned
CABAL
Forum Expert
Alliance: Aquila Ignis
Race: Death Watch
ID: 0

SuperSaiyan wrote:its a video game, I don't care if your a bloody chess champion of the universe if you don't know how to work the controller your gonna lose ](*,)

and that goes to any game worth playing

True, but it's the fact that it's completely reliant on your skills of controlling the controller. In other, more 'tactical' FPS, you can be #1 on a round without firing a single shot. (For you sneaky basterds: or without using the knife :lol: )

And solmyr, compare these with your pitiful Halo 'teamwork' :roll:

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzrEaElE84[/spoiler]

MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV -> KV-3 -> IS -> IS-3 -> IS-4 -> IS-7
CABAL
Forum Expert

SuperSaiyan wrote:
CABAL wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:its a video game, I don't care if your a bloody chess champion of the universe if you don't know how to work the controller your gonna lose ](*,)

and that goes to any game worth playing

True, but it's the fact that it's completely reliant on your skills of controlling the controller. In other, more 'tactical' FPS, you can be #1 on a round without firing a single shot. (For you sneaky basterds: or without using the knife :lol: )

name me one video game, that does not require any knowledge of a controller to play :-s

by mastering the controller, which is part of the game, you gain a tactical advantage over another

Space Invaders.

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Ar ... 13856.html

But that's not the point. The point is, it's too reliant on how well you can master the controls. As with other FPS, you merely have to know, move forward, move back, move left, move right, strafe left, strafe right, crouch, prone, shoot, secondary shoot, scope, change weapon, (sprint), etc etc. The rest is how well they actually play, not how well they can press buttons (nothing is being implied. 8-[ )

CABAL
Forum Expert

SuperSaiyan wrote:space invaders requires knowledge of its controlls, regardless how simple, you must know how to work them to play...

Yes, it's true that you need to know the controls to play, but you're telling me that a person will automatically become one of the top 10 once they have mastered the controls? No. #-o

Corran Horne
Knower of ducks
Alliance: & Leicester
Race: Cheltenham Gold Cup
ID: 314159265

Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Firstly...the Halo series is neither the best, nor the worst game franchise...but it does fall solidly in the "better" category.

Cabal, watch a man with a Plasma Pistol destroy a man with a Scorpion Tank*, and you'll suddenly understand that it is most certainly not a matter of "who has the bigger gun". :roll:

Controls are everything in every situation...a fighter jet is not easy to operate, it requires advanced math and some physics knowledge to fly effectively...not to mention years of experience...if you cannot control it at an expert level, you will die. Similar rules apply to all video games, if you cannot master the control interface, you will crash and burn.

Play any Halo game, especially the first, on Legendary difficulty...all the way through...

Then you can come here talking about tactics.

And for the record...

My official "Tool of Destruction" on Halo 3 is melee...accounting for roughly 24% of all my logged kills. If you don't believe me, look up Demonspawnomega on Bungie's site...the stats are there. :twisted:

*for the record, though I love it, the tank is a bit of a death trap...you can't get out when someone boards it...so a plasma pistol + boarding a tank=free kill...if they aren't paying attention.... :-"
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
CABAL
Forum Expert

Eternal Usul wrote:Firstly...the Halo series is neither the best, nor the worst game franchise...but it does fall solidly in the "better" category.

Cabal, watch a man with a Plasma Pistol destroy a man with a Scorpion Tank*, and you'll suddenly understand that it is most certainly not a matter of "who has the bigger gun". :roll:
well then that would be considered tactics though, wouldn't it? But consider this. In 2142, you would have 2-3 support class soldiers pounding a walker with EMP grenades while recon class placed RDX (remotely detonated explosives) underneath/on the walker. That's what's 'fun', not about one person taking down the walker (Though that is possible if the walker operator is stupid #-o )

Controls are everything in every situation...a fighter jet is not easy to operate, it requires advanced math and some physics knowledge to fly effectively...not to mention years of experience...if you cannot control it at an expert level, you will die. Similar rules apply to all video games, if you cannot master the control interface, you will crash and burn.
But that's the thing, it's a game completely dependant on how well you can aim with a 360 controller. Anything else is trivial.

Play any Halo game, especially the first, on Legendary difficulty...all the way through...

That's you alone, you could talk about luring the people into a mined area or something for quick efficient killing, but what's the point? In other games you have troops giving a suppression barrage while snipers picked them off one by one, or perhaps a troop transport (helicopter) filled with multiple troops working in unison to make it possible one of the most feared things in the game.

And for the record...

My official "Tool of Destruction" on Halo 3 is melee...accounting for roughly 24% of all my logged kills. If you don't believe me, look up Demonspawnomega on Bungie's site...the stats are there. :twisted:

As I said before, a game shouldn't be solely based on how many kills you get.

*for the record, though I love it, the tank is a bit of a death trap...you can't get out when someone boards it...so a plasma pistol + boarding a tank=free kill...if they aren't paying attention.... :-"

Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

To be honest I can't name a worse game than Halo off the top of my head right now. It sucks. Call of Duty is SOOOOO much better than it's not even funny.

It IS about the guns you pick up, and most of the time, skill is meaningless. If some guy has rockets, good luck killing him with a BR, assuming he isn't a complete idiot. Sure you CAN use a Pistol and kill someone who has a shotgun or something, but like I said assuming the guy with the shotgun isn't an idiot, you're pretty much NEVER going to do it.

I play Halo a lot, I pretty much hate it though, unless you're playing with people who are good, most time I am not, so I hate it. I play Call of Duty 4 a lot more.

There are quite a lot of tactics to Halo 3 though, just talk to any major gamer who plays the game, I know a few... They time everything, down to the seconds, MLG teams, watch them play or watch videos with audios of them talking or something, and you'll be shaking your head in disgust... They time the Overshield respawn down to the second

Player 1: Overshield respawn in 3..2..1.. GO!

Player 2: *Arrives at OS 2 seconds later exactly at respawn*

They know to get all the gun spawns, and keep them on lockdown, counting the respawn timer, know where they died with it and then who on the other team has it. They know how to perfectly use every gun and how to throw a grenade against the corner of a wall to get someone coming around the corner to own it in one shot. Being able to effectively use the controller to get a headshot every shot, and get sick snipes on noobs is only one part of it.

That all being said.. Halo sucks.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
CABAL
Forum Expert

Sarajevo wrote:To be honest I can't name a worse game than Halo off the top of my head right now. It sucks. Call of Duty is SOOOOO much better than it's not even funny.

It IS about the guns you pick up, and most of the time, skill is meaningless. If some guy has rockets, good luck killing him with a BR, assuming he isn't a complete idiot. Sure you CAN use a Pistol and kill someone who has a shotgun or something, but like I said assuming the guy with the shotgun isn't an idiot, you're pretty much NEVER going to do it.

Yay, finally someone who agrees with me :-D
I play Halo a lot, I pretty much hate it though, unless you're playing with people who are good, most time I am not, so I hate it. I play Call of Duty 4 a lot more.

There are quite a lot of tactics to Halo 3 though, just talk to any major gamer who plays the game, I know a few... They time everything, down to the seconds, MLG teams, watch them play or watch videos with audios of them talking or something, and you'll be shaking your head in disgust... They time the Overshield respawn down to the second

Player 1: Overshield respawn in 3..2..1.. GO!

Player 2: *Arrives at OS 2 seconds later exactly at respawn*

They know to get all the gun spawns, and keep them on lockdown, counting the respawn timer, know where they died with it and then who on the other team has it. They know how to perfectly use every gun and how to throw a grenade against the corner of a wall to get someone coming around the corner to own it in one shot. Being able to effectively use the controller to get a headshot every shot, and get sick snipes on noobs is only one part of it.
Well if you still compare the tactics used by Halo players and those by squad 2142 players, 2142 players will usually be about teamwork and reaching a goal, then Halo players trying their best to get kills.
That all being said.. Halo sucks.

Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

CABAL wrote:
Eternal Usul wrote:Firstly...the Halo series is neither the best, nor the worst game franchise...but it does fall solidly in the "better" category.

well then that would be considered tactics though, wouldn't it? But consider this. In 2142, you would have 2-3 support class soldiers pounding a walker with EMP grenades while recon class placed RDX (remotely detonated explosives) underneath/on the walker. That's what's 'fun', not about one person taking down the walker (Though that is possible if the walker operator is stupid #-o )

That's not the only way...just my favorite method...the gun I mentioned causes vehicles engines to just stop. Usually you don't see such tactics, far more commonly you'll see two or so people fire on the tank from cover while another with an anti-vehicle weapon...such as the spartan laser, or rocket launcer, or plasma mortar...comes around and hits them from the sides or behind.

I just enjoy popping them to stop their engine, then hopping onboard and beating the driver to death...it's not exactly efficient, or safe...just brutally embarrassing.

But that's the thing, it's a game completely dependant on how well you can aim with a 360 controller. Anything else is trivial.

So anyone should be able to pick up the controller and win? Because a game that does not require skillful use of the controls boils down to a game of who has the bigger gun...

That's you alone, you could talk about luring the people into a mined area or something for quick efficient killing, but what's the point? In other games you have troops giving a suppression barrage while snipers picked them off one by one, or perhaps a troop transport (helicopter) filled with multiple troops working in unison to make it possible one of the most feared things in the game.

My point, which you seem to have missed, is you do not have sufficient experience to judge the tactical nature of the game. Until you do, your opinion is invalid.

And for the record...

I didn't say it was, you pointed out it was a tactical decision to kill stealthily with a knife...I am pointing out that such methods are also a valid option on halo...and I am using my own kill record as proof...If you took the time to look at the stats, you'd see objective games are the majority of what I play.

Running into the other team's base, guns blazing is the epitome of a "n00b". I prefer to take my time to stealth in and achieve the objective, killing quietly when needed, and avoiding the enemy when possible. It is an effective method that many experienced players use. A fact that supports my point that there is more tactics in the halo franchise than you think.

"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
CABAL
Forum Expert

Eternal Usul wrote:
CABAL wrote:

That's not the only way...just my favorite method...the gun I mentioned causes vehicles engines to just stop. Usually you don't see such tactics, far more commonly you'll see two or so people fire on the tank from cover while another with an anti-vehicle weapon...such as the spartan laser, or rocket launcer, or plasma mortar...comes around and hits them from the sides or behind.

How easy is a tactic like that to spot? If I was in a tank (Which I normally am not, seeing as I'm usually a medic) and some people started shooting at me behind cover, my first instinct would be to back the tank up into something which hopefully will block the rear (which is insanely weak) from possible RDX or anti-tank weapons. Then I would start shooting at the people behind cover whilst spamming f10 and f11 (different camera angles) so I see anyone trying to sneak up on me. If someone fires at me with a anti-tank weapon, I would use active defence (Thing that blocks all incoming projectiles available on almost all vehicles) And start to run - not stay and fight, as a highly skilled engineer class soldier will be able to make short work of any tank. (Anti-tank motion mines, or their Pilum (Giant anti-tank gun))

I just enjoy popping them to stop their engine, then hopping onboard and beating the driver to death...it's not exactly efficient, or safe...just brutally embarrassing.

So anyone should be able to pick up the controller and win? Because a game that does not require skillful use of the controls boils down to a game of who has the bigger gun...

But that's the thing. If you have two people playing Halo, with exactly the same stats as the other, but one had a bit of a stiff thumb the one with the stiff thumb will lose badly as their aiming will be slightly off (If they are sniping) or they won't be the first to fire.

My point, which you seem to have missed, is you do not have sufficient experience to judge the tactical nature of the game. Until you do, your opinion is invalid.

Have you actually seen dedicated Halo players play other, more 'tactical' and 'realistic' games? They go absolutely nuts.
And for the record...

I didn't say it was, you pointed out it was a tactical decision to kill stealthily with a knife...I am pointing out that such methods are also a valid option on halo...and I am using my own kill record as proof...If you took the time to look at the stats, you'd see objective games are the majority of what I play.

Killing with a knife is all but stealthy. As the dead teammate will appear on radar/minimap, and the person you just killed will know where you are. A 'stealthy' tactic would be to avoid them completely, or take them out at an extreme distance.

Running into the other team's base, guns blazing is the epitome of a "n00b". I prefer to take my time to stealth in and achieve the objective, killing quietly when needed, and avoiding the enemy when possible. It is an effective method that many experienced players use. A fact that supports my point that there is more tactics in the halo franchise than you think.
Ah, but do you use your squad/team to the fullest of their ability? Because if not, then your 'tactics' are invalid.

And for the record, Halo 3's graphics are mediocre for a FPS.

Return to “Old Temple Grounds”