So why do we pray?

Travis Dane
Forum Newbie
ID: 0

Re: So why do we pray?

Well, I will tell you this,

I would rather believe that in this world we were in fact created by a higher/superior being, than to think for any second, that I came from pond cum or whatever else science says that over a billion years we evolved.

If in fact we were created, and such possible things are true, wouldnt you like to ever say thank you to him. Prayers dont ever have to be about being selfish.

If i prayed and asked for my wife to be healed vs. god give me strength to get thru this soccer game, which in fact is selfish.

I have prayed, and at times in my life 100's of times a day, most of them for other people though. Then if by chance those prayers or even one out of ten, get answered, its always nice to say thanks.

There are some people that believe their very next day, their very next breath comes from the ability that God allows it. And then some of them go blow up a car bomb killing 2-30 people or some even go even against the very word they believe in and molest some young boys.

Those people you really have to pray for.
Ghoul
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Ghoul
ID: 1977000

Is not prayer a form of self-reflection? Essentially you reflect or consider aspects of your life and are seeking an answer or correction to something.
The forces of Ghoul's Assassin break off from main attack force, and seek out spletstesser's Undercover Agents!.....With 156,771,387,021 power remaining, they manage to eliminate 1360922 of spletstesser's Undercover Agents!
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Travis Dane wrote:There are some people that believe their very next day, their very next breath comes from the ability that God allows it. And then some of them go blow up a car bomb killing 2-30 people or some even go even against the very word they believe in and molest some young boys.

Those people you really have to pray for.

No, those are people who should be locked up, or put down humanely.

We've had these religious debates many times, more murder and war have been committed in the names of various gods than can ever be justified, god is just an excuse, some people use it in a way to preach a good set of morals to live by ( nice idea but against human nature and mostly futile ), some people simply propagate the beliefs they were indoctrinated with ( a pointless cycle ), and some use to shirk responsibility for their evil actions ( Such as your suicide bombers who claim to be doing gods will, and criminals who claim all actions are part of some grand plan, denying free will to excuse personal accountability for the things they have done ).

I dont believe in gods, but even if I did and somehow the existence of a god was scientifically proven I still wouldn't follow a religion. None of the religions even claim to have been started by god, none of the religious books were written by god, and none of the religious doctorin were created by god, they are all the writings and creations of MEN, supremely arrogant men how presume that not only there is a god but that they can speak on gods behalf. Then these writings and creations were perverted further for use as methods of control.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Thriller
Forum Addict
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator

mezzanine makes a good point.

Faith can make us lazy.

Instead of refelcting upon what's wrong and maybe trying to do something about it you choose to pray instead. Well you really haven't done anything to address the problem simply left it up the solutions to chance.
Spoiler
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

KnowLedge wrote:There loads of smart and religious people here.. I believe in god. But i cant figure out why we pray.

why does god want us to pray? why do we have to spend out time praying to a god when this god is said to be selfless.. Is your god shelfish? did he make a law that "if you pray to me, then i shell give u powers"?

Why do we talk to people?

Why do we communicate?
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon

you talk/communicate to get by your day.

you dont need to prey to get by your day, do you? if you do, then god made a very selfish rule..
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
BlacK Oblivion
Forum Irregular
Alliance: TiTans Legion
Race: Oblivion
ID: 1947742

well of course everyone going to have a different view in this.

i pray. why do i? because i believe there is a god ( heavenly father) that looks upon us everyday. i pray to him for many things,for myself and others.

when i wake up i kneel down to thank thee for looking after myself an my family over the night, that nothing bad happened. an i ask of thee for a good day. plus it depends on the day as well. if i have a exam. i ask of thee to help me remember of the things i have learn t for this exam.
that just a example of something when i wake up.

an when i go to bed. i thank thee for what ever happened to me that day. ( look after family, protection, knowledge, the body that i have, the country i live in) an so much more.

an Juliette first post is right. its so then we can connect to our heavenly father, an talk to him. he wants us to talk to him like a real person, not just a myth.
plus if you ask something from thee, you wont get the answer straight away, the answer could come to the person who prays in many different forms. plus you would need faith of course an believe there is a heavenly father.

so thats what i believe in about prayer as a fello
member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints

plus i respect every ones views in here, an i expect the same.
i rarely visit these debate sections only cause people mock me an so forth through the internet.it just gets annoying. so there ya go. there is my church view. tho other could go in a lot more detail on why in my church.

anyhow. respect all.
Spoiler
Ascended Ra wrote:
MaxSterling wrote:
Ascended Ra wrote:and u joined DDE........ :shock:
They have hot women... ;)
RAWRRR!
Yea i understand that but they aint as hot as Nagini :P
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate

KnowLedge wrote:you talk/communicate to get by your day.

you dont need to prey pray to get by your day, do you? if you do, then god made a very selfish rule..

You must have a sad and lonely life. If the only reason you communicate is to get by your day... It must suck.

Communication creates a bond of relationship. You cannot have a relationship without communicating.

Prayer is just a form of communication to God. There are many others. For example; Worship, Praise, Reading his word (i.e The Bible), Meditation on his word.
Just to name a few.

In answer to your statement, "Very Selfish Rule" well, If you think about it, It is selfish of us not to pray; more importantly, how is it a rule? You mentioned earlier he wants us to pray. Thus, you state it isn't a commandment. Therefore, you negate the notion of a rule, which negates the selfishness claim.

Why do we pray? To continue and nurture our relationship with God.

We also pray to let God our needs, even though he already knows them. It A.S.K, Ask, Seek, Knock. Among other things.
Brdavs
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
ID: 69113

God is vain.
ImageImage For Rome!
Calibretto wrote: WIR SOLLEN *insert* AUSRADIEREN

Inserted part could be you!
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate

Brdavs wrote:God is vain.

Who are we to know what God is.
No mortal man can understand God. Words cannot define God. Becuase God is God.
Brdavs
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
ID: 69113

Well the part of its being that is observable in our dimensions comes off as a bit vain for his demand of worship.

Its just as valid an observation as the one that he is just, compassionate, loving etc. More substantiated even.
ImageImage For Rome!
Calibretto wrote: WIR SOLLEN *insert* AUSRADIEREN

Inserted part could be you!
Thriller
Forum Addict
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator

Mister Sandman wrote:

Translation; Don't ask questions, you're making God angry. You wouldn't like God when he's angry.
Spoiler
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D
BlacK Oblivion
Forum Irregular
Alliance: TiTans Legion
Race: Oblivion
ID: 1947742

Thriller wrote:
Mister Sandman wrote:

Translation; Don't ask questions, you're making God angry. You wouldn't like God when he's angry.

Rofl nice pic
Spoiler
Ascended Ra wrote:
MaxSterling wrote:
Ascended Ra wrote:and u joined DDE........ :shock:
They have hot women... ;)
RAWRRR!
Yea i understand that but they aint as hot as Nagini :P
dark lord tacoma
Forum Elite
Alliance: ROT
Race: System Lord
ID: 1991753
Alternate name(s): *~Thoth~

Thriller wrote:Translation; Don't ask questions, you're making God angry. You wouldn't like God when he's angry.

posably my favorite comment ever
"Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game."
Winston Churchill
Tek wrote: Your're attempting to gain a steady footing, on a moral highground made of rice pudding.

You have started playing at 15:46:39 on 29. August 2008
Eärendil wrote:I am going to mass them all
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate

Brdavs wrote:Well the part of its being that is observable in our dimensions comes off as a bit vain for his demand of worship.

Its just as valid an observation as the one that he is just, compassionate, loving etc. More substantiated even.

Wether he is vain or not I do not know.

You say that he demands worship, could you cite a bible reference?

Infact you should ask more questions, and make less stupid comments.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”