Admin voting for Ombudsman

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: Admin voting for Ombudsman

Why should any group of users get special treatment?

If administrators are to be forbidden from one part of it, should perhaps also those that cannot follow the rules, with say three or more warnings be forbidden from the election? Would not such count of warnings indicate an incapability to function well in the forum community?

Remember, the ombudsman (or ombudswoman) will not be the shining white knight of public opinion the way some of you seem to think...

He (or she) will a neutral party between users and the administrator team, and is answerable to the latter. He (or she) does not have (and has never had) any power over the administrators, aside from the power of his (or her) words...

We cannot recall the exact number of times that ombudsmen have managed to convince us (and other admins) to change opinion on some case or other, but it is quite a few times...

As we mentioned earlier, we have no intention of nominating anyone, unless there is a good candidate near the end with one too few nominations, and then only to give that candidate a chance to join the election...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

I do not disagree with admin people voting for or nominating someone, they have a voice also..and I do not think any of them is as bias as you think they are..I have been spanked by them ALL for misconduct, have massed them all (I think) :-k for my own reasons and have been mistreated by NONE in any way shape or form. Every instance bar none they have been right in either backing me or admonishing me for whatever the cases were.. Is this on topic?

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
zeekomkommer
Forum Addict
Alliance: sigma leader
Race: systemlord
ID: 70578

speaking as former ombudsman (so can't resist to use the old olour again)

it has happend in the past where admins have voted on the ombudsman elections. the last election i took part in i had an admin and 2 GM's voting against me, those were the only staff member votes cast. now ad first i gotta admit it pissed me off and i doubted their neutrality.

now after a few hours of letting it sink in i went 'screw them, they are making a mistake'. afte that the mentality changed to 'i'll prove em wrong'

see a good ombudsman (not claiming i ever was, i can't judge myself) needs to have a very thick skin. if you can't take other ppl liking other things, if you can't take different opinions and if you can't take working with someone who would've rather worked with someone else: NEVER RUN FOR OMBUDSMAN !

cuz here is an eye opener, the ombudsman will often disagree with moderators becausse of his different vieuwpoints, there will be alot of behind the scene's shouting and arguing. new this is not a bad thing ad all, as long as it's constructive and gets you somewhere.

so to sumerise for you, if you can't take having an admin voting against you then you shoudn'tbe an ombudsman and the admin was right to vote against you. admins only care about the welfaire of the forum, just like all mods and ombudsmen should. wheter or not you are the best of the forum is also their call

someone drop me a note for next elections, wanne screen the candidates then ;)
Lithium
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Pirate's Panties
Race: Pirate

there should be no conflict of interests between admin - ombu . Ombu shall be nominated and voted by only users, the admin team shall have the right not to accept the application due to poor background.
Previously on GateWars Forum
The orgin of Guild
Spoiler
Lithium wrote:he was talkin bout me and remembering the days i was massing him wit one finger ;)
Guild wrote:is that the same finger you stick up your bum ? :smt060
Lithium wrote:no its the one who gave u life ;)
Field Marshall wrote:Lith put his finger up his bum and Guild arrived? :smt017
I wish that was genuinely true :)
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
MajorLeeHurts wrote:
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
Agreed that was the funnies **Filtered** ive read here!
Im sure JT is enjoying this thread , if he isnt hes in a coma !
Feedback Me
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=101259
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

This thread is stupid. Everyone posting in this thread is stupid. Well, except for me of course. I am, after all, only the most intelligent person, EVER. 8)

ANYWAY. All I see is the same old tired bull **Filtered** misconceptions about the Oms. You all think they have some sort of power, whereas in reality the only power they have is to press the post button in sections no normal user can see. The admins get to make the decisions on all of the cases, the Oms only make recommendations. Not only does it not hurt to have the admins voting on Oms, it actually has the opposite effect. If an Oms is elected that the admins get along well with and respect, then it's infinitely more likely that the Oms is going to be able to persuade the admins to change their mind on a case.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Phlamingoe
Forum Addict
Alliance: Phoenicopterus
Race: Ruber
ID: 65498761

Eärendil wrote:Saying, I know that you are probably talking about me (lulz).

There is no voting at all for a while, I did nominate someone who I think would do a good job though.

:smt044

deni wrote: the admins are not only admins but forum users as well.

In RL a president can vote in a parliamentary election too :)

Dr. House wrote: Not only does it not hurt to have the admins voting on Oms, it actually has the opposite effect. If an Oms is elected that the admins get along well with and respect, then it's infinitely more likely that the Oms is going to be able to persuade the admins to change their mind on a case.

^This
Below Me.
Spoiler
MSN wrote:[EPA] BMMJ13 [BoT] Mr. Orange says (11:35 PM)
only one of us can wear black eyeliner
and im not stopping
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

The Ombudsman is a mediator; he does not exist to 'side' with the users, but nor does he exist to 'side' with the mods. He's there as a go-between, and a neutral third party. As both 'sides' will be dealing with him, I believe both sides have a right to vote.

I'm not sure if the 'another puppet' remark is a swipe at me and Jack, but FYI we sided against the administration just as often as we sided with them. Just because we might have not have agreed with you once upon a time, it doesn't mean we're in anybody's pocket.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

exactly what is wrong with it?

in what way is it cheating or anything in which this argument is turning into. Cba to read all of it as it is bull.

My 2 cents ;)

~Wolve

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”