Why?

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Re: Why?

If something definitely belongs somewhere else, then by all means move it.

But, if there is doubt, give the thread the benefit of the doubt, and leave it in general. For example, in this current situation:

C2 is NOT making an alliance announcement.
C2 is NOT making an alliance recruitment thread.

C2 IS making a pact amongst players. No different to various anti-bullying threads, educator threads, galactic council threads....all of which were left in general.
deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

caesar2 wrote:
deni wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:Why are there topics on the first page of sgw general that were last posted in over a month and a half ago? Why is general now perhaps one of the most dead sections of the forums?

It used to be a thriving section, but now things have become so categorised and compartmentalised that hardly anything actually fits under "sgw general" anymore...

Can we have our general section back please? As a gamer more than a forumer I would always check general and the gc, now I have to check dozens of sub-sections...just relax the rules somewhat so we can have a proper "general" section again....

So lets keep it constructive.

What do you think belongs in General?

- war threads
- alliance announcements
- recruiting threads
- questions about the game mechanics
- market trades
- non game related topics
- forum only related topics

I think that covers all of the threads that have been moved out of General.

- war threads / my topic was tempted to anounce some war/wars
- alliance announcements / alliance can be called empire, alliance, family, or pact? i anounced pact
- recruiting threads / I did not rectruit in my topic, but few can say I did. It was not my goal
- questions about the game mechanics / none
- market trades / none
- non game related topics / none
- forum only related topics / none

There I sumarize it Deni, and my topic perfectly fits the section where I posted it. Eärendil and his "friends" thinks something else.

Magni and JT are right, forum should be about GAMERS and not about forum staff and what THEY want and what THEY consider fits TEHYR rules.

I think you misunderstood my post, C2, und unwantingly agreed that your thread was to be moved.

I personally see your thread as an alliance announcement and would have moved it there myself considering I did not have the info Earendil did due to a pm exchange I guess.

The topics listed are currently topics that do NOT belong in General. As RepliMagni asked the requirements to be "relaxed", I asked him what topics that are currently moved out of General he thinks belong there and should not be moved.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
BMMJ13
Lord of Winterfell
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Tollan
ID: 89633

Honours and Awards

The problem is there are often thin lines between some topics.

Recruiting, Announcements, Even wars and out of game issues, can all be argued to belong in general sometimes. When a topic such as c2's technically has a few of these issues involved: recruiting in the form of getting people to join the pact, announcement of the pact, and definition of the war and teamwork basis behind said pact, it crosses multiple lines that make it confusing where in fact it belongs. Many topics are specifically shown to belong in these areas, with a war topic belonging in the GC, while a discussion/announcement that could lead to war may be shown to belong more in General. Alliance Announcements and Alliance Recruiting belong in their specific sections, however when something different comes along, such as the Galactic Council, there becomes less of a clear line with which to put something. While many people say that the only active sections are General and GC, specific other sections exist when they would cloud up a lot of general if they were allowed. As deni said, there are specific sections for a reason, why would you want alliance recruitment, alliance announcements, newbie questions, people talking about the weather, or many other topics which the various other sections cover

The problem comes with topics like C2's, where people can argue it belongs in many a number of different sections. Mods will always use their best judgement, and in honesty, the topic could of belonged in any of general, announcements or recruiting due to it's nature and the discussion within. This section is for discussion exactly like this, for discussion about topics and for discussion of reasons of where it should go. However, as I said before and will say again, just because of your inability to check other relevant sections, does not mean that general should become a collection for everything. It is ignorant to place the blame on moderators if your laziness as a user does not allow you to check more than two sections for topics.
Mar 18, 14:52 General Zeus Sabotage Repelled 104,724,369 details
Spoiler
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

caesar2
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Pirate's Panties Island
Race: [carrot]
ID: 1933254

BMMJ13 wrote: However, as I said before and will say again, just because of your inability to check other relevant sections, does not mean that general should become a collection for everything. It is ignorant to place the blame on moderators if your laziness as a user does not allow you to check more than two sections for topics.

And as I did before, I applied for mod position, and another forum staff positions. I am not lazy. Seems few mods are just to smart and thinks they are gods, but they are just mods or admins on ONE forum. Which is not such big win in my eyes.

Bmm, I did not post this against you, but will be happy to know if you was one of those who agreed with earendil in that "private discussion" about my topic.

And back to my lazynes... you maybe dont know, I always try to contact mods if my topic is moved, and if I see theres reason I say OK.

earendil keeps moving my topics since hes forum staff mmber and he never want to discus. Well, he always says hes right and thats what I hate. Hes not! And the position of admin maybe gives him power to do "what he want because he can"... but I dont care what he thinks about my topic.

Yday on MSN he openly tryed to lie to my eyes, when I told him i changed post, he said its not good... but he didnt even know what I changed and he didnt even read it, because he was using words which were there and he thought i changed those... so dont tell me about lazynes, if one admin is lazy to read changed post if I ask him more times.

EDIT: i just found one curious rule, and many guilty user, mods and admins including...

section name is : Newbie/ FAQ Forum
description:
For all newcomers... / only newcomers can post?
Here you ask questions to the other users... / newcomers can ask?
searching through this section will usually answer most questions... / newcomers can look for?

This is the way how forum staff usualy thinks, so ... can they clean up the section and remove all old users's posts please? =D>

Black or White... nothing between... thats how some mods/admins usualy thinks... right?
RETURN of the P I R A T E
BMMJ13
Lord of Winterfell
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Tollan
ID: 89633

Honours and Awards

C2 wrote:And as I did before, I applied for mod position, and another forum staff positions. I am not lazy. Seems few mods are just to smart and thinks they are gods, but they are just mods or admins on ONE forum. Which is not such big win in my eyes.

Bmm, I did not post this against you, but will be happy to know if you was one of those who agreed with Eärendil in that "private discussion" about my topic.

And back to my lazynes... you maybe dont know, I always try to contact mods if my topic is moved, and if I see theres reason I say OK.

I mean that forum users in general are lazy. It's quite known that many look only in GC or General, I know I myself look there a majority of the time. Because of this, often people get angry if something gets moved out of general as they feel that means their topic is going under the bus.

I know you try to contact mods if your topic is moved, as you did with me, and then I pointed the mod who had moved the topic in your direction, and I believe the topic was moved back after you talked to him. That is the way the forum is supposed to work, if you can provide a reason to have it moved back, then it will be moved back.
Mar 18, 14:52 General Zeus Sabotage Repelled 104,724,369 details
Spoiler
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

deni wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:Why are there topics on the first page of sgw general that were last posted in over a month and a half ago? Why is general now perhaps one of the most dead sections of the forums?

It used to be a thriving section, but now things have become so categorised and compartmentalised that hardly anything actually fits under "sgw general" anymore...

Can we have our general section back please? As a gamer more than a forumer I would always check general and the gc, now I have to check dozens of sub-sections...just relax the rules somewhat so we can have a proper "general" section again....

So lets keep it constructive.

- war threads
- alliance announcements
- recruiting threads
- questions about the game mechanics
- market trades
- non game related topics
- forum only related topics

I think that covers all of the threads that have been moved out of General.
Hi Deni, As you have said non game related topics.

I see 3 topics made by 1 person on the first and second page about Bdays, but on the third all other bday threads have the moved link.

My question is Why is Bday threads allowed on the first 2 pages, but on the third page they are moved someplace else?

I also see a thread on the second page asked about ATs, but yet not moved to the market discussion section.

Examples: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=178458
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=176548
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=175996
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=175247

If it is the Staff members intent on keeping the SGW General section strictly for game related threads, as it says below the link. Can you please tell me why these threads have still remained in SGW General section when they are not related anything about the ingame like how it is described
Forum for all general ingame discussion.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your answer.
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.
deni
The Initiate

Honours and Awards

Thank you for the feedback, Rudy.

You are right, birthday threads belong to This, That & Those. They are however allowed to stay in General for a period of about 24 hrs. Unfortunately, the threads in question were not moved. They will be in a second.

The other thread is a general discussion about the current ingame market rates intended to start a discussion about them.

If you think some thread does not belong in General, the General mods will appreciate if you used the report function :)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Rudy Peña
Forum Addict

deni wrote:Thank you for the feedback, Rudy.

You are right, birthday threads belong to This, That & Those. They are however allowed to stay in General for a period of about 24 hrs. Unfortunately, the threads in question were not moved. They will be in a second.

The other thread is a general discussion about the current ingame market rates intended to start a discussion about them.

If you think some thread does not belong in General, the General mods will appreciate if you used the report function :)

You're welcome and thank you Deni. :-)

I have one more question, since Birthday threads are allowed to stay 24 hours. Why not have other threads of different topics not pertaining to game related topics stay a 24 hours too?

May I also suggest that topics stay about 24 hours in General to get some face time with the public like birthday threads do? If you and the other staff memebers or just admins talk about it, that would be good. Maybe some sort of agreement can be made for allowing topics a certain timeframe of face time, then the thread will be moved to the section that is the right one.

This way, the thread will be seen(maybe some posts too) and after a timeframe be in the right section.

I will also take your advice on reporting those topics as I come along them.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
deni
The Initiate

Honours and Awards

Rudy Pena wrote:

I have one more question, since Birthday threads are allowed to stay 24 hours. Why not have other threads of different topics not pertaining to game related topics stay a 24 hours too?

May I also suggest that topics stay about 24 hours in General to get some face time with the public like birthday threads do? If you and the other staff memebers or just admins talk about it, that would be good. Maybe some sort of agreement can be made for allowing topics a certain timeframe of face time, then the thread will be moved to the section that is the right one.

This way, the thread will be seen(maybe some posts too) and after a timeframe be in the right section.

The reason for allowing birthday threads to stay for a limited time in General before they are moved is that they are a "tribute" to active players.

This is not the case for other topics that are posted in General but do not belong there.

I personally would hate to see spam topics or market trades posted in General and have to tolerate them for a set amount of time.

Rudy Peña
Forum Addict

Eärendil wrote:
Rudy Pena wrote:
deni wrote:....

That could probably be done, no real reason for it not to happen if there's a very legitimate reason for them to be there for a small period, else there are several sections on the forums for them, many by user request. Someone would just have to ask Empy real nicely about it, I heard he likes milkshakes, so that might help.

And as Deni said, reporting things are wonderful, I've often skipped over a topic that I need to read and for what ever reason, I just don't see it.

I do see what you mean, I do agree if the thread serve a legit reason, they could stay for a small amount of time.

deni wrote:
Rudy Pena wrote:

The reason for allowing birthday threads to stay for a limited time in General before they are moved is that they are a "tribute" to active players.

This is not the case for other topics that are posted in General but do not belong there.

I personally would hate to see spam topics or market trades posted in General and have to tolerate them for a set amount of time.

Oh ok, I see and understand. :-)

As for spam topics and market trades, I do not think they should be posted in the general section at all and if they are the person should get warned because they know what they are posting is spam.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”