The disconnected modern politician.

[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Re: The disconnected modern politician.

It boggles my mind just how literal people can be when faced with a debate/discussion regardless of the content of said debate/discussion.

The whole point of this thread is to hear what you guys have to say, not for you to sit there picking apart my OP because you happen to disagree. disagreeing with my views is welcome but what do YOU think about all of this?

My OP was a tongue-in-cheek post. would i do some of those things if i was PM, sure i would. would i do all of them, probably not, but that's not the point here ;)

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Well, as I said in my initial post, I think people from different backgrounds needs to be encouraged to run for political office. These days, there's too great a political and social elite running Britain. A lot of high up people in government, from both parties, went to all the same schools. The same is true of fleet street. They all know each other, they drink in the same bars, and they mix in the same circles.

Take my own Conservative party, for example. In the late sixties, one of the outlined reasons for our lack of electoral success was the perception that we were all toffs. That Harold MacMillan and his cronies spent all of their time fox hunting and quaffing champagne; with no idea how ordinary people lived or what the challenges facing them were.

So we listened. Our next leader was a carpenter's son. The one after that, a certain Iron Lady whose one of the most influential figures in British politics ever, was a grocer's daughter. The guy after that, believe it or not, didn't even go to University let alone Oxbridge. They understood the core principles of Conservatism; the importance of hard work, of everybody having a right to achieve their potential, and of less state intervention. Subsequently, they appealed to the electorate. We had 18 years of undisturbed Tory rule.

Now, curiously, the situation has reversed, and the Eton clique are back in the saddle. Personally, I hope it reverses again.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Avitir
Forum Regular
Alliance: In one.
ID: 0

MEZZANINE wrote:Couple of points first

1) Office work can be very hard and stressful

2) You cant discriminate against people for being wealthy

That said I do agree that politicians should be grounded by working in the real world before trying to represent the real world, several years in normal life would be beneficial to their perspective.

Personally I think the problem with 'modern politics' is that they want to be all things to all people, not possible. Historically politicians said 'I believe in these ideals and think this is the way forward if you agree vote for me' now politicians look at the media and whatever the polls/newspapers/TV say people want they say 'thats whats we will do if you give us power'.

Basically politicians now dont appear to believe in anything, so they cant make a passionate argument about their ideals and plans. Instead we get spin, soundbites and unrealistic promises.

There is a guy in Australia who stands for something good and real- his name is Tony Abbott.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”