A really wild and crazy idea

NoDot
Forum Irregular
ID: 0

Re: A really wild and crazy idea

Enfant Terrible wrote:Basically this all stems from something I've been noticing of late. Namely the game is more and more moving away from being stargate "wars" and becoming stargate "economic management techniques".
Two words: Pinpoint Strike. If it's balanced with Motherships and Sabatoging, Pinpoint Strikes could become very useful tools for Economic Destruction among other things. I'll post may balancing ideas in a new thread.
Trade Feedback Thread for NoDot
You recieved 980 Naquadriah in exchange for 490,000 Units!
Don't! Just...don't!
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

Re: A really wild and crazy idea

NoDot wrote:Two words: Pinpoint Strike. If it's balanced with Motherships and Sabatoging, Pinpoint Strikes could become very useful tools for Economic Destruction among other things. I'll post may balancing ideas in a new thread.

Since I posted the initial idea a couple of people have made some suggestions that have given it a new life in my mind now though and I think it could actually add a great deal of depth to the game and here is how (and this is something that could really be enormously expanded on),

Planets could initially at least have two attributes. 1. Carrying capacity and 2. Resource (naquadah) generation. Now here is what could make this extremely interesting and add a whole new strategic dynamic to the game.

Planets would be randomly generated with some minimu and maximum value for these attributes (ie. not every planet generates the same naq, or can maintain the same population). What this means is that some planets would be low in both categories and thus not strategically valuable although acrruing a large number of them could offset that. Other planets might be very strong in both categories and thus highly prized. So suddenly you have to consider which planets are worth defending and which are not because, and you have to curb your expansion so you can maintain a defensible position.

Oh yeah important point. it would require changing how defense works a bit. You would need a seperate page for different planets and on each planet you would spereately set up defenses. ie on planet A you buy 10 ion cannons or whatever your defense is and those cannons only protect planet A. for simplicity i would say you cannot move defense weapons from one planet to another.

So if you go and conquer a planet you have to prepare to properly defend it since existing defense won't.

If you really want to go crazy with the idea you could even have desert planets and water planets and jungle planets etc. and have specific troops or units that fight better on different sorts of terrain planets :-D (although this would mean that we would need more weapons to choose from and how those weapons work becomes more complex. eg. X302s would not be as effective on jungle planets as on desert planets.)

I guess now what i really like about the idea personally is that A. it makes attacking much more of a strategic thing, and B. it's the basis for something which could be given even more detail adding loads of depth to the game.

If research gets implemented you could even start to allow limited research to improve things like carrying capacity or naq generation by researching improvements or maybe..oh boy now i'm going too far...create yet another new unit ...engineers who can improve those things or even terraform planets changing a jungle planet into a water planet or whatever might suit your units best.

oh oh oh...and fortifications would i guess have to be built on every planet rather than just generally applying to all units. There may even be room to develop other plantary improvements which could be built.
forgive_me
Forum Irregular

Enfant Terrible u realy spent a lot on writing that.......so no quote.....:P

well the ides are real good but it enterfiers a problem......because the planets will be in great numers(and for every planet u have a lot of objects) u will need a enormes mysql table.....and serching in a table like that(the bigest i created had 795 coloms and little over 3k users).......and finding someting in a table like that(with 1 recuest) did pushed the servers procesor a bit....with 20-100 recuests like that any server woud probaly crash........so i dont think that this wll be implemented.....

basicly your idea is so complex it will kill the server if its implemented....;)
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

damn...i kind of suspected it might be too complicated..but i thought i might throw it out there anyways. maybe someone can think of a simpler way to implement it. so that it retains some of the added depth without creating a too much of a server overload...i don't know enough about how that all interacts.

but couldn't you lower it by creating seperate tables for each user? so that you find the user than have a relatively small table for that user's planets? (i have really no clue what i'm talking about here so if this is really stupid that's my excuse) :)
forgive_me
Forum Irregular

Enfant Terrible wrote:but couldn't you lower it by creating seperate tables for each user? so that you find the user than have a relatively small table for that user's planets? (i have really no clue what i'm talking about here so if this is really stupid that's my excuse) :)
it is posible ....but from wath i know....a way preaty fiable is to limit the max number of planets...to 10-20...that way u only acces a specific table......

these upgreads (if they are to be implemented) woud be beter implemented in a new version of SGW.....:)
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

forgive_me wrote:these upgreads (if they are to be implemented) woud be beter implemented in a new version of SGW.....:)

Yeah I agree with that. Implementing them in this game would be impossible since I don't think it could be done fairly. If anything my suggestion for that would IF they would be implemented to try it out in quantum first and see how it works and how people like it, since that game resets periodically anyways.
Forum
Site Admin

Honours and Awards

what you can see in your mind is not always out of reach in reality...
there is a secret (not anymore) project going on to make a game more complex than this one that will not crash on complexity....
give us a month or three :)
it is coming.... like the tides.. it will soon be here... well - maybe not here- - but there...
this will provide the complexity and fine tuning that i think many want... and then some.......
Don't make me use this!!!
thor23
Forum Newbie

nice to hear thats sounds like fun. you have to keep us all posted on the updates of it.
Robosheep

Is it going to be an updated version of SGW or an entirely different game?
Xavier
Fledgling Forumer

I hope it's an update; It's difficult enough at the moment having to switch between Main Server and Quantum without getting confused. Also, an entirely different game would further spread uses, diminishing the total popularity of all three. (What I mean by this is that there are users who currently only play one or the other, and this would be further exacerbated by the introduction of yet another game).
---
~Phoenix~ wrote:Rememberance day for what event?
IcER
Fledgling Forumer

As you said enfant, the way defence works will have to change a lot. If you want to hold 5 planets, you will have to have 5 times the defence of everyone elses' attack as they are going to send it all at just a fraction of your defence. This game would be extremely hard to balance, but I imagine its possible. I will be interested to see how this develops.
_____Jedi_____
Forum Grunt

That is a BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!

It gives a purpose to the game other than just attacking for the hell of it. You could like take over nutral planets and set up mining operations etc.. or attack planets and take them over fom other players and get part of that planets level of tecnology!

Woah! My heads spinning I think that is an AMAZING idea. Dude edit your post and run a poll. If you cant PM me and I will set up a thread for it (giving you credit of course)

Kind Regards Folkes,

Simon
TOAA
_The Order OF Allied Aliens_
_____Jedi_____
Forum Grunt

Forum wrote:what you can see in your mind is not always out of reach in reality...
there is a secret (not anymore) project going on to make a game more complex than this one that will not crash on complexity....
give us a month or three :)
it is coming.... like the tides.. it will soon be here... well - maybe not here- - but there...
this will provide the complexity and fine tuning that i think many want... and then some.......

Tell you what, I'll look into buying you a new server.

Simon
TOAA
_The Order OF Allied Aliens_
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

IcER wrote:As you said enfant, the way defence works will have to change a lot. If you want to hold 5 planets, you will have to have 5 times the defence of everyone elses' attack as they are going to send it all at just a fraction of your defence. This game would be extremely hard to balance, but I imagine its possible. I will be interested to see how this develops.

well if motherships get implemented with the ability to stock them with weapons maybe the amount of weapons a mothership can carry would be balanced with population limits hence armable weapon limits of a planet, and attacks on planets could only be done by a single mothership. thus a certain balance would be preserved between attacking and defending.

This being said without me having a clear idea of how motherships will work.
Master System Lord Ra
Forum Newbie

I have an idea that might make it eazyer, you can't have other planets until you max out fort. and seg..[/b]
Bow before your GOD!

Return to “Suggestions Archive”