market bug using development server - crime and punishment

Sleipnir
Merriest Mod in the West
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

It has to be made clear that abusing loopholes will not be tolerated. Therefore, the punishment should be high. Did you think you were just gonna get away with paying what you earned? I think not, cause then you'd just try it again next time. I think forum has made a clear statement here. If you find a loophole and keep it to yourself for your own benefit, you will get punished, harshly. Next ttime it may involve account deletion, so I'd be careful. And if anyone ever finds another loophole, report it, don't use it. Unless you want to be punished like these.

As soon as you build an idiot proof system, somebody else builds a better idiot.

If it moves, kill it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does move, and then kill it.
~Phoenix~
Forum Addict
Alliance: Unaligned
Race: Immortal

I dont see anythign wrong with those punishments?
Its like you rob the bank and expect to get away with it?

Somehow .. I dont think you would? Do you?
Myseri
Forum Elite
Alliance: The Pond
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 15959

Sleipnir wrote:It has to be made clear that abusing loopholes will not be tolerated. Therefore, the punishment should be high. Did you think you were just gonna get away with paying what you earned? I think not, cause then you'd just try it again next time. I think forum has made a clear statement here. If you find a loophole and keep it to yourself for your own benefit, you will get punished, harshly. Next ttime it may involve account deletion, so I'd be careful. And if anyone ever finds another loophole, report it, don't use it. Unless you want to be punished like these.

What Sovetski was saying is that he doesn't agree with the punishment but will live with it. He just doesn't need more people sending PMs to him accusing him of doing other ways of cheating in which he has recieved a few.

As far the punishment goes, I agree it is just.

As fair as our intentions, that is where I disagree Sleipnir. I used it, I admit it, but I did not use it to my benifit, I used it to help a friend as did most of the people in the Eternal Knights. If anything I lost something else out using it, my market turns, oh well I will survive. I can work back the punishment and I will. I will not leave just because I lost something. I also admit what I did was wrong, I do promise I will never do it again. I know that I have broken people's trust and I apologize. In the end, we are sorry about doing it. We just wish people would stop commenting on it.
[AG]Ra
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: AK
Race: SystemLord AGofIndu
ID: 16144

Dyneasty wrote: I used it, I admit it, but I did not use it to my benifit, I used it to help a friend as did most of the people in the Eternal Knights.

so basicly you are saying that admin should punish whole alliance?

Dyneasty wrote:We just wish people would stop commenting on it.

and why should we do that?
Space2050
Forum Newbie

We were already punished for our actions, don't even think about punishing us extra. :evil:
Last edited by Space2050 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myseri
Forum Elite
Alliance: The Pond
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 15959

Ra wrote:
Dyneasty wrote: I used it, I admit it, but I did not use it to my benifit, I used it to help a friend as did most of the people in the Eternal Knights.

so basicly you are saying that admin should punish whole alliance?

No, I am not saying that you should punish the whole alliance, but those of us who used the loophole that are in the alliance did not do to further ourselves but to help others in the alliance.

Ra wrote:
Dyneasty wrote:We just wish people would stop commenting on it.

and why should we do that?

Because you in way were affected unless you were one of those who used the loophole. We were dealt our punishment and we will live by it. We don't need you guys to continue to debate on wether the punishment was too harsh or not, it is over and done with. It is in the past, so let it stay there and stop bringing it up.
Wintermute
Fledgling Forumer

Ok I didn't read the whole thread but I read forum's message. I probably made some trades on the development server but I wasn't doing it with the aim of cheating or manipulating a bug. I wasn't even aware there was a bug there until I read this thread :shock:

I can't even conceive that I made so many trades. I've lost about 4.5 billion naq. I remember distinctintly making one trade on it because i couldn't sign onto the main server and I was in a hurry renewing ppt.

I guess the main concern I have is being essentially named on the forums as a cheat.

Personally I don't think I deserve to be punished. I signed onto the dev server because my ppt was running out in like 20 minutes, and I needed to renew it and couldn't access the main server.
Lord Smaug
Forum Regular

LOL I really dont knowabout what server are u all talking about, can someone please explain?
Wintermute
Fledgling Forumer

OK I've read this thread more closely and my understanding is that the exchange rates differed so someone could buy 10k units on one server and sell them on the other for 200 million naq profit.

I did not do this.

If forum can check my transactions he will see that the only transactions I've ever made were buying UU for naq and buying PPT for naq.
Lord Smaug
Forum Regular

I see... so is there a link for that site?
Wintermute
Fledgling Forumer

There is but forum gave it to me as courtesy since I was having problems accessing the main server for no apparent reason. I'm guessing he doesn't want it made public.
S T I
Forum Intermediate

The question here is, when this bug was found, why was it not reported, the people who found it know what should have been done, but told others, weather it was said (it was a cheat) or not it was not reported but passed to othere to abuse. yes each case should be looked at individually, but where it has been found that they have abused the system, there is only one coarse of action that should be taken. delete. this sever information was given out to help people by forum but then was misused & passed on to others to misuse.
Red XIII wrote:Just blame Omega instead. Much easier than writing an entire paragraph about a problem.
bryan
Forum Intermediate

i just cant understand why people have to cheat to get ahead. man, if you are first, but cheated to get there, who gives a rats ass that you are first. you dont derserve it, you did no work for it. this sort of thing is like people ripping people off in trades. only gutless wimps do that, because they got no skill and get owned by any player with any decent skill. this is the same thing. use a loophole to steal naq off the server, you are ripping off the server in the trade.

ohh, and

OWNED
Last edited by bryan on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wintermute
Fledgling Forumer

OK well 4 points.

1. I have only used the devpt server on rare occasions since for some weird and yet to be understood reason I get blocked out of the main server for as long as a few days at a time. Admin knows about this.

2. I have never given out the address for the devpt server to anyone.

3. I Replicate made a point in my bugs thread about getting extra market turns this way. In that case I may have used more but to my knowledge I only used it once for a ppt (thus a single x2 trade), but I had a trade left on the main server anyways, so I suspect (but could be wrong) that I've still stayed within my 3 turn limit.

4. I didn't report the bug because I didn't notice anything wrong. I bought the ppt in a hurry so I didn't pay attention to how many turns I had. I did notice that it was more expensive and just thought "Damn the price has gone back up." I first learned about the bug when I found this thread.
Kerrus Magrus
Forum Irregular

wintermute should not have lost his spy, if admin knows of his use of the server. he did not tell anyone and what msot people don;t realize is that some people probably didn;t realize it was a loophole.

i vote admin check Ws logs to see if he's correct, and if so, give him back his spy

Return to “For Admin Archives”