body scanners at airports...what do you think?

Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Re: body scanners at airports...what do you think?

Hitchkok wrote:actually, quite alot.
the 9/11 ofcourse

Hitchkok wrote:the guy with a bomb in his shoe

Hitchkok wrote:the guy with a bomb in his pants

Hitchkok wrote:some hijacke planes

What hijacked planes? And even so, that's still only 4.

Hitchkok wrote:i could go on about cars rigged with explosives in ambessies

Embassies in what nations? Because again, there will always be problems like that in third world countries and the like.

Hitchkok wrote:trains filled with nerve gas in Japan

What trains?

Hitchkok wrote:trains exploding in spain

That was one incident and that brings us up to five.

Hitchkok wrote:terror is an international problem, like it or not

Of course, so are car wrecks. The issue here isn't whether it's a problem or not, but whether the problem is as severe as people love to believe it is and whether it warrants the grotesque invasion of privacy as well as the ridiculous amount of paranoia exhibited by the general populace.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
HonoredSLayer
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: Bromus Collective
Race: Human.... i think.
ID: 1923330

edit.
reread your post and totally was thinking about something else in the post.
let the topic go on.

i say we should just become terrorist ourselves and have done with it.
Last edited by HonoredSLayer on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvernet wrote:I just found out how to post...what a happy day! :D
Andy wrote:you're not black by any chance are you?
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

HonoredSLayer wrote:okay so you are saying the killing of innocent bystanders by terrorists that do exist and have existed, is alright.

think about that little nugget for a bit.

Where the hell did you come up with that from? :-s
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

Dr. House wrote:[spoiler]
Hitchkok wrote:actually, quite alot.
the 9/11 ofcourse

Hitchkok wrote:the guy with a bomb in his shoe

Hitchkok wrote:the guy with a bomb in his pants

Hitchkok wrote:some hijacke planes

What hijacked planes? And even so, that's still only 4.

Hitchkok wrote:i could go on about cars rigged with explosives in ambessies

Embassies in what nations? Because again, there will always be problems like that in third world countries and the like.

What trains?

Hitchkok wrote:trains exploding in spain

That was one incident and that brings us up to five.[/spoiler]
Hitchkok wrote:terror is an international problem, like it or not

Of course, so are car wrecks. The issue here isn't whether it's a problem or not, but whether the problem is as severe as people love to believe it is and whether it warrants the grotesque invasion of privacy as well as the ridiculous amount of paranoia exhibited by the general populace.

i you really like, i'll go and dig some more terrorist attacks later (i'm of to work...)
but meanwhile, please answer my last question: how many life should be safed for the invasion of privacy to be justified? in your opinion, of-course.
i'd say that saving one life is enough. heck, i'd say that saving one limb is enough.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
HonoredSLayer
Fledgling Forumer

Dr. House wrote:
HonoredSLayer wrote:okay so you are saying the killing of innocent bystanders by terrorists that do exist and have existed, is alright.

think about that little nugget for a bit.

Where the hell did you come up with that from? :-s

reread my edit. lol. kind of misread what you said or maybe i read a portion of it and thought something totally different. my bad.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

Hitchkok wrote:i you really like, i'll go and dig some more terrorist attacks later (i'm of to work...)
but meanwhile, please answer my last question: how many life should be safed for the invasion of privacy to be justified? in your opinion, of-course.
i'd say that saving one life is enough. heck, i'd say that saving one limb is enough.

Yes I would like you to try and back up your claims.

And how many lives need to be saved? Depends on the actions being taken to save that life and how necessary that action was to save the life. Would you be ok with a cop killing someone to save another's life when they could have just as easily arrested them? Just because it works, doesn't make it necessary, effective or efficient. My argument in this thread has not been about protecting freedoms and privacy(though I support that as well), my argument has been that there simply isn't a need for these measures. Sure there have been a few terrorist attacks in the last 20 years(you listed less then ten over atleast a 15 year period). And only three/four of those were on planes. Do you have any idea how many flights there are on a single day? over 87,000 in the U.S. alone, that's on a DAILY basis. Of those 87,000, about 37,000 are commercial airlines. That's that's something to the tune of 13.5 million commercial flights a year. Over a ten year period that's like 135 million commercial flights. 4 incidents out of 135,000,000 commercial flights is a pretty acceptable number if you ask me.

HonoredSLayer wrote:reread my edit. lol. kind of misread what you said or maybe i read a portion of it and thought something totally different. my bad.

Ahhh, I see.
HonoredSLayer
Fledgling Forumer

i think the point of the scanners is to turn that 4 into 0. lol.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

HonoredSLayer wrote:i think the point of the scanners is to turn that 4 into 0. lol.

Which wont happen.
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

HonoredSLayer wrote:
[KMA]Avenger wrote:no mate, i dont want to know if its a vibrator or a bomb for the simple reason, i refuse to live in fear, regardless if there is something to fear such as the threat posed by AlCIAda or a manufactured threat. and furthermore, anyone who would prefer to live like that does not deserve life in my humble opinion!

apparently your afraid to go through them. you think it marks you don't you.

[KMA]Avenger wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:well, you could always travel not with a plane...
or travel to somewhere its not required and then hop on a plane...

inconvenient yes, a bit more in cost yes, but if your that worried about privacy and your health can you really put a price on it?

all options i would sooner consider than going through them.

for me its a matter of principal, there is just no way in hell i'll let anyone look at my kids in that much detail, even if the health risks are minimal

apparently (as you like to say), you dont read to well [-X

and as i have already explained and provided links...these "things" wouldn't have stopped people like the shoe and underwear bombers.

Dr. House wrote:

What trains?

he's talking about this:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=Sarin+ ... d837d0816d

EDIT!!!

and as has been stated...i do not accept the terrorist side of the argument FULL STOP!!!

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=cia+cr ... d837d0816d

do your own research and thinking people, these machines have not been created because there is a problem with security, they have been created for YOU *points at everyone*

EDIT2!!!
[spoiler]A passenger who boarded Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in Amsterdam with attempted plane bomber Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab says the would-be terrorist had no passport and was aided by a sharp-dressed man who claimed Mutallab was a Sudanese refugee, just one of a plethora of startling inconsistencies surrounding an incident that has led to ramped up security and increased levels of harassment in airports.

Every single fact that has come to light since the attempted bombing on Christmas Day directly indicates that the bomber was deliberately allowed to board the plane and that his attack would have succeeded if not for the alert and brave reactions of the passengers and flight crew.

According to Kurt Haskell, an attorney with the Haskell Law Firm in Taylor, Michigan, “He and his wife were sitting on the ground near their boarding gate in Amsterdam, which is when they saw Mutallab approach the gate with an unidentified man.”

Mutallab was a poorly dressed, young looking individual, but he was accompanied by a man in an expensive suit, Haskell told MLive.com. http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... _at_l.html

“He says the suited man asked ticket agents whether Mutallab could board without a passport. “The guy said, ‘He’s from Sudan and we do this all the time.’”

Although Mutallab is Nigerian, Haskell said the well-dressed man portrayed him as a desperate Sudanese refugee in an attempt to elicit sympathy and as a way of bypassing his lack of documents.

“The ticket agent referred Mutallab and his companion to her manager down the hall, and Haskell didn’t see Mutallab again until after he allegedly tried to detonate an explosive on the plane,” states the report.

Crucially, Haskell said that after the plane landed he saw another man being taken into custody by the FBI along with Mutallab. However, the FBI later said that Mutallab was the only individual taken into custody.

Were the feds retrieving their own agent, the sharp dressed man who ensured that Mutallab boarded the plane despite his overwhelmingly suspicious circumstances?

Mutallab was a known security threat who was on the terror watch list. He is barred from entering Britain after being refused a new visa due to applying for a fake university course. Separate reports said that he did hold a valid visa, which begs the question, how can someone on a terror watch list be allowed to fly?

“On the one hand, it seems he’s been on the terror watch list but not on the no-fly list,” he said. “That doesn’t square because the American Department for Homeland Security has pretty stringent data-mining capability. I don’t understand how he had a valid visa if he was known on the terror watch list,” Dr Magnus Ranstorp of the Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies told the London Independent.

It has also been revealed that Mutallab’s father contacted U.S. intelligence officials a month ago and warned them that his son was a threat, but nothing was done.

The bomber’s father, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, was a a former minister and chairman of First Bank in Nigeria. The bomber does not fit the image of a disgruntled, rag-tag terrorist. His considerable wealth allowed him to live in luxury at an imposing London mansion.

As a result of the failed attack, new security directives have been introduced for anyone traveling into America. Intense body and hand-luggage searches and sniffer dogs have been beefed up at departure gates and passengers have been ordered not to stand during the final hour of the flight and are not allowed access to any of their hand luggage during the final hour.

However, if you’re a suspicious looking man on a terror watch list with no passport carrying explosives, you should breeze through security with no questions asked, just be sure to have a sharp-dressed man with you at all times.[/spoiler]

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

ter·ror·ism
–noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Therefore, most government leaders are terrorists... i.e G. Bush..
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

dont forget Tony Blair!

Bin Laden has nothing on these guys.

-David Icke
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... anner.html

LOL, these damned things haven't even seen a 1 year B-day and already their making headlines!

when will people learn these machines were not created and installed to keep terrorism at bay?!?!

-David Icke
Rocky
Tollan
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Italian Stallion

id just like to say on jack's point, terrorism is not a major killer by a long shot, it is in fact very very very very rare, and i think the deaths caused by terrorism alone account for a very small fraction of a percentage of the deaths caused by a natural hazzard such as the Tsunami for example along with Hurricanes earthquakes.

I agree with Jack that it doesn't matter what you do, there will always be a small number of terrorist attacks, mainly because as security gets better, the terrorists abilities to find a way around them also does as one would expect with time, terrorists are people who have the ability to learn and therefore find new ways in achieving their goals. Unless you don't fly you cannot be sure to be safe and survive a plane flight, same with driving, same with taking a train, same with working in a high rise building lol
TL vs mH
ImageImage
TL vs DDE
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
TL vs mH + DDE
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

Rocky wrote:id just like to say on jack's point, terrorism is not a major killer by a long shot, it is in fact very very very very rare, and i think the deaths caused by terrorism alone account for a very small fraction of a percentage of the deaths caused by a natural hazzard such as the Tsunami for example along with Hurricanes earthquakes.

Agree, very rare indeed.

Take for example: heart disease. The common cold and other diseases/viruses. Which kills millions every year. More than terrorism to this day.

I agree with Jack that it doesn't matter what you do, there will always be a small number of terrorist attacks, mainly because as security gets better, the terrorists abilities to find a way around them also does as one would expect with time, terrorists are people who have the ability to learn and therefore find new ways in achieving their goals. Unless you don't fly you cannot be sure to be safe and survive a plane flight, same with driving, same with taking a train, same with working in a high rise building lol

Id say the chances of getting in a car accident going to and from work are higher than a terrorist attack.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

First off, Sorry for for bumping this 7 month old topic.

I was reading some stuff about this and I wonder what you people think and feel about it.

This link talks about how a Flight Attendant who had Cancer and was treated differently due to her Prosthetic Breast.

Talks about how being patted down will cause delays, but also of how quite a few people have been mistreated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599203278600

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 72,00.html This line talks about how the scanning machines work, along with the radiation doses and what not.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/us_tr ... ty_fashion Another link on how people have been mistreated and violated.

I know this is only the US, as far as I know. If there is other ways or different things other countries do it, is it more better?
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”