Mod Endorsing / Helping a scammer ????

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

Re: Mod Endorsing / Helping a scammer ????

Whoever said market mods have to be against scamming?

If you can pull it off, and not get caught, or get caught and still get away with it, all the power to you. I'm not saying I condone scamming (especially when real money is involved) but this along with most online games are rife with it (hell it's pretty tame here) so using it as a tactic is.. in my eyes legitimiate. Like has been said, the best that can be done by the community is to alert possible buyers of their trading history, blacklist ect.

Despite this, posting a positive comment towards a known scammer is perhaps not a wise decision, or one that speaks well on your character, but that fact really has no bearing on your modship or ability to moderate.

This whole section seems rather foolish to me. If you want to get through to a moderator that has "offended you" perhaps try PMing them. Using this thread just makes a public mess and makes the mod in question look bad. Hell, if you PM, you're likely to get better results. Screaming on here about what mods say or do is not going to get them fired. What exactly does this section plan to achieve anyways? It seems to be a place where people go after scrutinizing mod posts to find any little tiny thing that bothers them. You wouldn't say a thing were it a regular member.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

That was just stupid. [-X (And redundant.)
Z E R O
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:That was just stupid. [-X (And redundant.)

Probably. It's late.

stupid.. redundant, or whatever.. I still don't see the point of threads like this. What are they hoping to achieve?

Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Z E R O wrote:
Juliette wrote:That was just stupid. [-X (And redundant.)
Probably. It's late.
stupid.. redundant, or whatever.. I still don't see the point of threads like this. What are they hoping to achieve?
Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
Now that made more sense. ;) 'Stupid' was a little too harsh, but you get the idea.
It's got something to do with the 'idea' of having influence on the forum. :P
Z E R O
Forum Addict

Perhaps people would be more influential if they thought a little more carefully about how they plan to achieve that.

:-"

*sigh*

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

This is a witch hunt plain and simple, the target is not Lone Dragon, it's the mod team, LD just happens to be a mod.

The issue brought up is beyond stupid and impossible to take seriously. It might have had merit if LD was conspiring with a scammer to socially boast his reputation as a trader to lure in marks. But that's not what happened. LD merely posted that his trade was fast and smooth, nothing whatsoever wrong with that.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

How do you go from two people overreacting at each other (LD & Mezz) to a witch hunt against the mod team? :?
Makes no sense.

It is a legitimate concern when phrased properly. And yes, the misconception that this is the fault of mods is an easy bandwagon to jump on to..
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

I want a wagon for Christmas. A big shiny red one. 8-[
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

Juliette wrote:How do you go from two people overreacting at each other (LD & Mezz) to a witch hunt against the mod team? :?
Makes no sense.

It is a legitimate concern when phrased properly. And yes, the misconception that this is the fault of mods is an easy bandwagon to jump on to..

A witch hunt on the part of Mezz. I'm not just taking into account this one thread, but his words in the others as well.

And no, this is not a valid concern. We are users first, mods second. As a user, LD had a positive experience in trading with Harch, then reported that experience as a user. His post was short and concise. Not once did he attempt to use his moderator status to help boast Harch's reputation, he did not post as a mod, he did not say anything like "Harch is the most trustworthy trader of all time, take my word for it, I'm a mod and would never lie."

As for there being "three on going cases involving Harch scamming"... I'm pretty sure there was a time when someone thought I was a scammer and tried to report me as such. Should all mods have been barred from reinforcing my reputation as a trustworthy trader?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Good. You were talking about the same thing as I thought. *grin*
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

@ Deni, I agree with you that banning doesnt work, nor do IP checks.

@ Jack, You're are right I have issues with the way forum staff are chosen and some other internal procedures but that doesnt mean I dislike all mods, there are several I like on a personal level, LD I neither like nor dislike, I simply dont know him or anything about him. Speak to Juliette who I briefly spoke to about it and you will know this is far more personal for me than any perceived 'witch hunt'.

@ Anyone who considers scamming a valid tactic. I expect that from Game Admin, it's of great benefit to him if the only safe way to buy stuff with $$$s is to buy off him. But for anyone else saying it your basically saying that you cant be trusted.

This thread is not about doing something about scammers, not about giving Mods extra work or any kind of policing of trades, everyone knows the risks of $$$ trades.

This is about what I considered to be an inappropriate post for a Mod to make, a Mods word carries weight & is ( or at least should be ) respected, so if a Mod posts they had a good trade with someone others may assume trading with that person to be safe ( A perceived endorsement ). In this case the Mode had posted in the scammer thread for the same person he traded with only minutes before, he knew the trader was a scammer and still posted positive feedback which could have led to others trading with him and being scammed.

Now as I said in my last post

I believe LDs intentions were good, he thought the naq sold was going to be used by the scammer to repay someone he scammed.

I also acknowledged and apologised for bringing this here when dealing with it in PMs would have been better.

I still think the post was inappropriate for a person in a position of authority & trust to make, an error in judgment. We are all human, we all make mistakes regardless of if we are Mods or not. Only difference is that in some forum related cases mistakes by a Mod can have more serious consequences than the mistake the rest of us make.

EDIT

The post in question is gone, situation sorted so IMO this thread should be closed unless someone has something constructive to add.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Psyko
The Irresistible

MEZZANINE wrote:@ Deni, I agree with you that banning doesnt work, nor do IP checks.

@ Jack, You're are right I have issues with the way forum staff are chosen and some other internal procedures but that doesnt mean I dislike all mods, there are several I like on a personal level, LD I neither like nor dislike, I simply dont know him or anything about him. Speak to Juliette who I briefly spoke to about it and you will know this is far more personal for me than any perceived 'witch hunt'.

@ Anyone who considers scamming a valid tactic. I expect that from Game Admin, it's of great benefit to him if the only safe way to buy stuff with $$$s is to buy off him. But for anyone else saying it your basically saying that you cant be trusted.

This thread is not about doing something about scammers, not about giving Mods extra work or any kind of policing of trades, everyone knows the risks of $$$ trades.

This is about what I considered to be an inappropriate post for a Mod to make, a Mods word carries weight & is ( or at least should be ) respected, so if a Mod posts they had a good trade with someone others may assume trading with that person to be safe ( A perceived endorsement ). In this case the Mode had posted in the scammer thread for the same person he traded with only minutes before, he knew the trader was a scammer and still posted positive feedback which could have led to others trading with him and being scammed.

I believe LDs intentions were good, he thought the naq sold was going to be used by the scammer to repay someone he scammed.

I also acknowledged and apologised for bringing this here when dealing with it in PMs would have been better.

I still think the post was inappropriate for a person in a position of authority & trust to make, an error in judgment. We are all human, we all make mistakes regardless of if we are Mods or not. Only difference is that in some forum related cases mistakes by a Mod can have more serious consequences than the mistake the rest of us make.

EDIT

The post in question is gone, situation sorted so IMO this thread should be closed unless someone has something constructive to add.

I'm simply curious because you didn't answer this: Do you still believe Lone Dragon should lose his mod position over this? It's not going to happen, but I wanted to see if your opinion in that regard has changed.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

Psyko wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:@ Deni, I agree with you that banning doesnt work, nor do IP checks.

EDIT

I'm simply curious because you didn't answer this: Do you still believe Lone Dragon should lose his mod position over this? It's not going to happen, but I wanted to see if your opinion in that regard has changed.

i guess in his defence, it comes to personal experience about the post, so no he shouldnt, people only post that, like he did, from personal experience
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

[BoT] Jack wrote:
Juliette wrote:How do you go from two people overreacting at each other (LD & Mezz) to a witch hunt against the mod team? :?
Makes no sense.

A witch hunt on the part of Mezz. I'm not just taking into account this one thread, but his words in the others as well.

And no, this is not a valid concern. We are users first, mods second. As a user, LD had a positive experience in trading with Harch, then reported that experience as a user. His post was short and concise. Not once did he attempt to use his moderator status to help boast Harch's reputation, he did not post as a mod, he did not say anything like "Harch is the most trustworthy trader of all time, take my word for it, I'm a mod and would never lie."

As for there being "three on going cases involving Harch scamming"... I'm pretty sure there was a time when someone thought I was a scammer and tried to report me as such. Should all mods have been barred from reinforcing my reputation as a trustworthy trader?

But the coloured name that marks you as out as a mod changes everything. its always there wether your posting as a mod or posting as a normal user, call it your uniform if you will, i'd take more notice of someone in a police uniform on his way home after a work telling me to do or not to do something then i would the same person out of that uniform telling me excactly the same thing. ;)
And for the Record i don't think LD should lose his position, just to be more careful in the future.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

He did not tell anyone to do anything. He reported his experience dealing with said trader.

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”