For the discussion of sports. Moo?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Re: Ireland vs France!

buck wrote:You can watch quality football without supporting the team!

I bet my mortgage that you are either a Man united or Barcelona "fan".

[-(

PSG
Arsenal a bit
Barcelona when there's any other "big" name than Arsenal in Champions' League in the last square (MU, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Milan AC..)
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Tek
Forum Elite
Alliance: Leaf Village
Race: A Village person
ID: 0

buck wrote:You can watch quality football without supporting the team!

I bet my mortgage that you are either a Man united or Barcelona "fan".

[-(

Oi.

We're not all darn sarf glory hunting fairies
"This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this. But I AM your King."

Decimus Tek (Main ID:1917687)
War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Gloriousbarstard@hotmail.com
Q Man
blarney stone

Apophis The Great wrote:
buck wrote:
Apophis The Great wrote:I always liked to support different teams -hierarchically- incase stuff happend...(hierarchy is kept when teams go against each others)

#1 is France for me...but I was wondering between Spain and NL who I would support as #2, and who as #3..given they both are great teams, any little reason could determine which would become my #2 rooted-for team. *megagrin*

Stop being a glorey seeker!

If your going to support a second team, be it someone who obviously wont walk into the quarter finals.

Like that year senegal did dead well!

I Always liked croation, but thats unlikely now.

France
Netherlands
Spain
Brazil
*inserts random skilled team such as Cameroun, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Portugal, Japan...*
and...Slovenia (for their first world cup)

You call that glory seeking? :shock:
It's not really glory seeking...it's quality football seeking! ;)

I don't really look for big names, otherwise, Argentina & Italy would be on my list. They aren't.

what? because you left out two teams, both which are seemingly in decline, i personally love the underdog, me being an ireland and liverpool fan makes that possible :P

its always more interesting!

for the euro '08 and euro '04 i was an avid follower of the czech republic. i even got a jersey with baros on the back! :lol:

just enjoy football for what it is, and not who wins the most.
remember, the hare doesn't always win the race.! :lol:
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Tek
Forum Elite

If it was about the winning, my going to watch Bury now and again would be alot less frequent.

War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

PSG isn't the most winning team in France, if I was THAT much a glory seeker, I would be Olympique Lyonnais fan all the way... ;)
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... erry-henry

[spoiler]Roy Keane issued a furious response to Ireland's campaign for a replay of their World Cup qualifier play-off second leg against France, saying "what goes around comes around" for the Football Association of Ireland.

The Ipswich Town manager's relationship with the FAI broke down following his walk-out from the Republic of Ireland training camp prior to the 2002 World Cup. And he dismissed their calls for "the honesty and integrity" of the sport to be protected in the wake of Thierry Henry's handball which led to France's winner in Paris on Wednesday night.

The former Ireland midfielder was in a characteristically fierce mood as he launched a withering attack on Irish football's governing body: "They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup – get over it," he said.

"France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story. I think the supporters deserve better, the manager [Giovanni Trapattoni] deserves better and probably most of the players deserve better, but I'm not sure the FAI deserve better. What goes around comes around.

"People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man [FAI chief executive John Delaney] is on about honesty. I was one of the players and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me. I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have."

Keane pointed out that controversial decisions also went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them claim a 2-1 qualifying win in February. "Ireland had their chances in the two games [against France], and they never took them," he said. "But it's the usual FAI reaction - 'We've been robbed, the honesty of the game.' There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game. I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Talking about France's winner, Keane laid the blame on Ireland's defence rather than Henry, who handled the ball before crossing for William Gallas to head in. "I'd focus on why they didn't clear it," he said. "I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?".[/spoiler]

If an Irish former player says so...I think all the excessive and ridiculous fury and mud throwing againt Henry has to be reconsidered, eh? ;)
Spoiler

Spoiler
Tek
Forum Elite

I love roy keane, but.....hes most def not an impartial observer.

The fact he makes it about his own spat with the FAI makes anything passed that point moot.

MOOT I TELL THEE.

The idea of a replay is laughable though, imagine the floodgates itd open.

War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Tek wrote:I love roy keane, but.....hes most def not an impartial observer.

The fact he makes it about his own spat with the FAI makes anything passed that point moot.

MOOT I TELL THEE.

The idea of a replay is laughable though, imagine the floodgates itd open.

How convenient reply!

Of course it's worth mentionning and considering. :)

I think a former player knows more about football than all the politicians who spoke about the subject.
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Tek
Forum Elite

Why?

The man has been anything but a patriotic Irishman since that infamous world cup. Fair enough his point about the irish defend stands, but his motivation is entirely about sticking it to the FAI which makes his objectivity just as suspect as anyone else.

War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Still that a smart move would have been to denounce the lack of video refering causing this whole issue. Instead of accusing a great player such as Henry, known for his skills and his game quality, to insult him to a despisable level, instead of pointing out the obvious REAL problem behind that, and probably behind *many* future similar issues.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Tek
Forum Elite

Yup, the real fault was footballs stone age ideals and the crappy linesman. But you can't excuse any of the people who do these things simply on the basis ineptitude lets them happen.

Its been OTT with Henry, and the talk of Bans and it ruining his brilliant career. Lets face it, his genious has influenced far more then this one moment of cheating. But he's still a callous, callous man to have ran off celebrating like he didnt just cheat ireland. Surely you can agree on that?

War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Tek wrote:Yup, the real fault was footballs stone age ideals and the crappy linesman. But you can't excuse any of the people who do these things simply on the basis ineptitude lets them happen.

Its been OTT with Henry, and the talk of Bans and it ruining his brilliant career. Lets face it, his genious has influenced far more then this one moment of cheating. But he's still a callous, callous man to have ran off celebrating like he didnt just cheat ireland. Surely you can agree on that?

He shouldn't have celebrated, indeed.
But the way people have been insulting him on last days on different places is unacceptable given background reasons (like I said, no video refering).
IF it was a player famous for doing crap like Materazzi, it would be logical to be flamed. But Henry isn't this kind of player. That's why I have appeared to be angry in some of my posts. Reducing a player to a simple act (in which as I kept repeating he's FAR from being only guilty in it), said act neither being insulting nor sending another player to long term injury by some nasty tackle.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Q Man
blarney stone

Apophis The Great wrote:
Tek wrote:Yup, the real fault was footballs stone age ideals and the crappy linesman. But you can't excuse any of the people who do these things simply on the basis ineptitude lets them happen.

But the way people have been insulting him on last days on different places is unacceptable given background reasons (like I said, no video refering).
IF it was a player famous for doing crap like Materazzi, it would be logical to be flamed. But Henry isn't this kind of player. That's why I have appeared to be angry in some of my posts. Reducing a player to a simple act (in which as I kept repeating he's FAR from being only guilty in it), said act neither being insulting nor sending another player to long term injury by some nasty tackle.

hmm, like maradona? or zindane?
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Maddog wrote:
Apophis The Great wrote:

hmm, like maradona? or zindane?

Maradona is a long term drugs taking dude and a loud rude mouth. So I don't know what you wanted to prove with him.
As for Zidane...Materazzi who insulted his mother and his sister had nothing, he knew it would be so. He acted so because he knew he would have Zidane booted and receive no card for that. What a scum this Materazzi...
Zidane shouldn't have acted so, but it's easy to say so...when you face the situation of having your family insulted like he did, you probably cross the line, and the assaulter damnly knows so.

So again, what were you trying to prove? :neutral:
Spoiler

Spoiler
~Insider Trader~
Forum Irregular

IRE V FRA reminds me of how us Aussies were robbed at the 2nd round stage of the 06 World Cup against Italy when Fabian Grosso took a dive at the end.

We feel your pain. Simple answer is that without the likes of France at the World cup FIFA execs los a bit of support from the main countries that keep them in power, TV ratings also would suffer and less revenue would be generated to feather the beds of those in charge.

Why do you think Sepp Blatter personally rewrote the European qualifying rules for the play-offs and 'seeded' teams so that countries like France and Portugal and Russiawouldn't play each other? (Russia still didn't make it) Nobody expected those teams not to qualify directly so the rules were redrawn so that they had a better chance of making it in. It stinks of corruption and favouratism but there's no chance anything will ever change.

Ireland should get a couple of ropes and a boat or 2 and tow the entire country out to Oceania. Kiwis FTW. At 750/1 for the cup I'm putting a dollar on them.

Return to “Sports Section”