Ascended

For discussion on balance, bugs, likes, dislikes of recently released features.
Robe
Aussie Icon
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Vampyre
ID: 14876

Honours and Awards

Re: Ascended

Duderanch wrote:@Robe - I agree if people are inactive then they should be able to be descended, but i don't agree no matter their defencive levels. If they have put the effort in to properly defend their account then why should theybe descended?

No one should be invulnerable in ascended.
Duderanch wrote:How about you guys try and descend me...before this war I hadn't even logged in to that server for a year+?

Over the past few years players didn't even bother setting setting vacation when they went on holidays
(even though they had set vacation in main).
Buck wrote:The Great and Complex GateWars Novel!
The Forces of Light... Robe, The Novels Main Protagonist, The Polar opposite of EtL... Or is she?
Are they that different? There battles have encompassed entire careers and lives within the game, the most bitter and epic of enemies, neither will leave while the other stands... the ultimate climax, will it ever come?
Who knows. One things for sure, the Freedom Fighter is in it for the long haul, its in her head now,
and she must save the world or die trying.
2011 Descensions
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

But in that case what is the point in even building your defense levels to a decent standard? Just cheaply build them up a few hundred and then just log in and refill life force with cache.
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
Robe
Aussie Icon

Honours and Awards

Duderanch wrote:But in that case what is the point in even building your defense levels to a decent standard? Just cheaply build them up a few hundred and then just log in and refill life force with cache.
To reduce the risk of being descended.

The problem was chicken and egg.
Players didn't need to log in - so many didn't bother.

Now they do need to log, they can decide if they want to play or chose the path of Daimon.
The Forces of Light... Robe, The Novels Main Protagonist, The Polar opposite of EtL... Or is she?
Are they that different? There battles have encompassed entire careers and lives within the game, the most bitter and epic of enemies, neither will leave while the other stands... the ultimate climax, will it ever come?
Who knows. One things for sure, the Freedom Fighter is in it for the long haul, its in her head now,
2011 Descensions
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

Daimon :smt078
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
Robe
Aussie Icon

Honours and Awards

Duderanch wrote:Daimon :smt078

At least its a choice for those who just don't want to play the game.

Not my first choice either because I find Ascended a lot of fun to play.
2011 Descensions
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

@ Robe,

As TL have spent the last year upgrading their ascended accounts it's no wonder you welcome this update, but most havent for the reasons you yourself admit, most people dont care about ascended, dont want to play it, and only log in to it to ensure they keep their main bonuses.

Point is,

Main has PPT so you can take a break from the game for RL without vacationing every couple of days. PPT should have the same effect for the same reason in ascended.

Most people have many hours in the day when they cant login, sleep, work, Uni, school, and god forbid a RL, so these people should not be penalised, and descention having a major effect should take 12+ hours IMO

This update came out with little or no warning, their was no discussion to see how many players wanted it, very few even knew it was coming so no preparation was made.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
renegadze
Forum Elite
ID: 0

MEZZANINE wrote:@ Robe,

As TL have spent the last year upgrading their ascended accounts it's no wonder you welcome this update, but most havent for the reasons you yourself admit, most people dont care about ascended, dont want to play it, and only log in to it to ensure they keep their main bonuses.

Point is,

Main has PPT so you can take a break from the game for RL without vacationing every couple of days. PPT should have the same effect for the same reason in ascended.

Most people have many hours in the day when they cant login, sleep, work, Uni, school, and god forbid a RL, so these people should not be penalised, and descention having a major effect should take 12+ hours IMO

This update came out with little or no warning, their was no discussion to see how many players wanted it, very few even knew it was coming so no preparation was made.

I don't actually believe PPT was intended to give you time away from the game, that's what vacation mode is for. I believe PPT was primarily intended to help with fighting in wars and some protection from the constant bombardment.

Despite people's popular opinion TL didn't all go enmass and request this update...like every update that has come before it and no doubt after, we adapted.

If YOU cant be bothered to put the effort required into your ascended account, then why should you be entitled to the bonus in main. Maybe we should have an update, that if you're inactive on ascended then you no longer get ascended blessings.....I mean why would you be blessed by those you've ignored for so long?

The minimum time to descend an account 9 hours
The minimum time to protect against the descension...1 second

sounds pretty damn fair to me
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
Robe
Aussie Icon

Honours and Awards

MEZZANINE wrote:Main has PPT so you can take a break from the game for RL without vacationing every couple of days. PPT should have the same effect for the same reason in ascended.

Making Ascended a facsimile of Main would make it pointless to play.

Ascended is the ultimate 1 vs 1 Server.
No PPT to hide after attacking another player.
No Brokers to rebuild your account in 5 min.

MEZZANINE wrote:Most people have many hours in the day when they cant login, sleep, work, Uni, school, and god forbid a RL, so these people should not be penalised, and descention having a major effect should take 12+ hours IMO

We are all have commitments in RL.

There are 3 options to avoid being descended.

If you are at war you can move LF every 9 -24 hours (its easy to farm and build defensive levels).
If you are busy in RL you can set vacation.
If you just don't want to play then you can become a Daimon and still keep your existing bonuses.

If you actually start to play the server offensively, instead of defensively, you might even start to enjoy it ;)
Last edited by Robe on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Descensions
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict

renegadze wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:@ Robe,

Point is,

I don't actually believe PPT was intended to give you time away from the game, that's what vacation mode is for. I believe PPT was primarily intended to help with fighting in wars and some protection from the constant bombardment.

Despite people's popular opinion TL didn't all go enmass and request this update...like every update that has come before it and no doubt after, we adapted.

If YOU cant be bothered to put the effort required into your ascended account, then why should you be entitled to the bonus in main. Maybe we should have an update, that if you're inactive on ascended then you no longer get ascended blessings.....I mean why would you be blessed by those you've ignored for so long?

The minimum time to descend an account 9 hours
The minimum time to protect against the descension...1 second

sounds pretty damn fair to me

I dont know who said you guys requested it 'enmass', certainly not me, I simply said you welcome it because you have been actively building ascended accounts for some time. All updates have those who are naturally bias in favor as the updates favors them.

As for your figures that the time needed to prevent descension is 1 second every 9 hours, as already stated many people have work/Uni commitments that keep them away from the game for upto 12 hours a day.

Robe wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:Main has PPT so you can take a break from the game for RL without vacationing every couple of days. PPT should have the same effect for the same reason in ascended.

Making Ascended a facsimile of Main would make it pointless to play.

Ascended is the ultimate 1 vs 1 Server.
No PPT to hide after attacking another player.
No Brokers to rebuild your account in 5 min.

MEZZANINE wrote:Most people have many hours in the day when they cant login, sleep, work, Uni, school, and god forbid a RL, so these people should not be penalised, and descention having a major effect should take 12+ hours IMO

We are all have commitments in RL.

There are 3 options to avoid being descended.

If you are at war you can move LF every 9 -24 hours (its easy to farm and build defensive levels).
If you are busy in RL you can set vacation.
If you just don't want to play then you can become a Daimon and still keep your existing ABs.

If you actually start to play the server offensively, instead of defensively, you might even start to enjoy it ;)

Vacation and Daimon are pointless options, all that effort to get to Unknown just to have a update take away all the bonuses

As for playing ascended, I like many others have no time or interest in playing a whole other server ( practically another game ), I personally barely get time to play Main SGW and frankly this might be a deal breaker for me, if everytime I go to war or farm someone I get descended while in work then my quitting thread will soon be among the many others.

Spoiler
Planets Taken(5000) 411
renegadze
Forum Elite

Vacation and Daimon are pointless options, all that effort to get to Unknown just to have a update take away all the bonuses

I'm afraid you killed your own argument there, "All that effort to get to unknown" why would someone put in all that effort and not build a mediocre ascended?

The whole "I'm away for more then 9 hours argument" is valid to the extent that yes some accounts can be descended in that time.....but you do NOT have to have a good ascended account to already be over 12 hours....even if the top TOC's are hitting you.

Also as already stated time and time again, those with decent ascended accounts rarely descend people on a whim, turns are precious, and our accounts because good because we farm, not because we waste 100's of turns hitting pointless targets
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict

renegadze wrote:

I'm afraid you killed your own argument there, "All that effort to get to unknown" why would someone put in all that effort and not build a mediocre ascended?

The whole "I'm away for more then 9 hours argument" is valid to the extent that yes some accounts can be descended in that time.....but you do NOT have to have a good ascended account to already be over 12 hours....even if the top TOC's are hitting you.

Also as already stated time and time again, those with decent ascended accounts rarely descend people on a whim, turns are precious, and our accounts because good because we farm, not because we waste 100's of turns hitting pointless targets

Not building ascended ? Simple it was never important before, being undescendable was easy so those who had no interest or time to play that server didnt have too. Now it's changed overnight and we're in a position of 'play the server you dont want to or have your account in the server you do want to play made worthless'. And with the time issues it's not even a choice for many, those who's RLs mean they cant log in that often are screwed either way.

Trust me I give people reason to descend me if they can, I farm hard and have been in wars for almost 5 of the 5 1/2 years Ive played, that wont change so long as Im here so people will always want to descend me, and now they can while Im in work and unable to login, hence why if nothing changes it means game over for me and anyone like me.

ADMIN SHOULD CONSULT THE COMMUNITY BEFORE CODING NEW UPDATES, he listens to a limited number of players, does not play himself and has no idea of the wider consequences until it's too late.

Spoiler
Planets Taken(5000) 411
renegadze
Forum Elite

MEZZANINE wrote:
renegadze wrote:

Not building ascended ? Simple it was never important before, being undescendable was easy so those who had no interest or time to play that server didnt have too. Now it's changed overnight and we're in a position of 'play the server you dont want to or have your account in the server you do want to play made worthless'. And with the time issues it's not even a choice for many, those who's RLs mean they cant log in that often are screwed either way.

Trust me I give people reason to descend me if they can, I farm hard and have been in wars for almost 5 of the 5 1/2 years Ive played, that wont change so long as Im here so people will always want to descend me, and now they can while Im in work and unable to login, hence why if nothing changes it means game over for me and anyone like me.

ADMIN SHOULD CONSULT THE COMMUNITY BEFORE CODING NEW UPDATES, he listens to a limited number of players, does not play himself and has no idea of the wider consequences until it's too late.

If you current level are say 600 personals, then with 1-2 days farming you can be back well over the "12 hour" threshold. Which if you consider it's taken me a years hard farming to help get my account into a position to descend people is a pretty good return.

On your last point I do agree however, the update came as a bit of a shock to us, was quite amusing when I noob started trying to descend me (I guess they were quick to notice the change). All updates, whether we agree with them or not should be subject to a bit of notice.

Here is what has changed from my perspective....there are a few more people I can descend, the speed in which I can descend some has improved slightly, apart from people that have never played ascended I still cannot descend people in under 12 hours. Oh and I am now descendable :-D
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
Robe
Aussie Icon

Honours and Awards

MEZZANINE wrote:Not building ascended ? Simple it was never important before, being undescendable was easy so those who had no interest or time to play that server didnt have too.
Your own statement is precisely why the ascended server needed to be updated.

MEZZANINE wrote: Now it's changed overnight and we're in a position of 'play the server you dont want to or have your account in the server you do want to play made worthless'.

The changes did not occur overnight.
There have been several incremental changes over the past 5-6 months.
These changes were long over due.

In the beginning ascended server was much faster, very ruthless and offered no respite for new players.
Admin Jason slowed it down in 2007 by setting growth caps, making upgrades exponentially expensive and
adding a feature so that players could move their Life Force to prevent being descended.
From 2007 to 2010 many players were able to easily build their personal levels to prevent being descended.
Some became complacent, didn't bother logging in and declared that the game was boring.
In 2010, Admin Jason started making incremental adjustments to fine tune the server so that was possible
to descend all inactive players.

I applaud these incremental updates because they were years over due.

The Ascended server is now balanced between the two extremes.

If you want to receive the benefits of being an Ascended Being, then you should play the Ascended Server or
set yourself to Daimon (and retain your existing bonuses).

With a small amount of effort you can easily protect yourself but it does now require you to log in and play.
Last edited by Robe on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Descensions
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

do Daimons retain thier AB bonuses? I didn't think they did :s
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Robe
Aussie Icon

Honours and Awards

ƒëmmë ƒatalë wrote:do Daimons retain thier AB bonuses? I didn't think they did :s

You are right Femme.
A Daimon keeps their existing bonuses not their blessings.

I will try to avoid using confusing acronyms - Ascended Bonus/Blessing (AB).

Game Update 2007 wrote:If you wish to DESCEND YOURSELF - ie 'quit ascension' .. you can.
You will become a 'Daimon' - basicly a fallen divinity...This is the only race open to fallen ascendeds who chose their own demise... The bonuses are: whatever your ascended account was giving to your main account at the time of banishing yourself, MINUS the ascended blessing (so no unique tech to this race.) (for example if you were prior, you got 5% bonus on att/def/cov/income, and the ascended blessing, and new weapon valus. You keep all but the ascended blessing.) A Daimon DOES NOT GAIN GLORY and, in battle and covert, TAKES DOUBLE CASULAITIES -- basicly, they are living fast and dying fast :). From this race, you can choose a fully mortal race, or keep this race. No other options.
2011 Descensions
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Discussion on Released Enhancements”