Otherland

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
The Xeno
n00b prophet
ID: 0

Otherland

-
Just curious if anyone has read Tad William's work. About two years ago i stumbled across the Otherland series, and became an instant fan (well, it took forever to finish the series...but near instant :P ), I believe it's one of the greatest (and longest) sci-fi stories I've read. Bear in mind, it was published in '96 - and is a marvel of prediction.

Otherland - City of Golden Shadow Pt. 1
Otherland - River of Blue Flame Pt. 2
Otherland - Mountain of Black Glass Pt. 3
Otherland - Sea of Silver Light Pt. 4
(Sci-fi epic. And I do mean epic. This is a four volume beast.)

Once I started to read/research his other works, i discovered he has a fantasy epic... Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - which is comprised of:

The Dragonbone Chair Pt. 1
Stone of Farewell Pt. 2
To Green Angel Tower (conclusion of the trilogy, broken into two books)

I am not a particularly avid Fantasy fan - but I really enjoyed this trilogy -
it isn't high-fantasy and its no dungeon crawl either. It's a nice, solid work, that creates a very immersive world with a huge cast.

My least favorite work of his - War of the Flowers.
But I will need to re-read it, before I claim to actually dislike it.

Finally, his recent fantasy exploration is the Shadowmarch series -
I've only read the first book and have mixed impressions. Once again, a solid fantasy world.
Phoenix of Terra
Forum Zombie
Alliance: ex-TSA
Race: Troll
ID: 12371123

Re: Otherland

Tad Williams... hmmm :smt017

*plans assualt on the nearest Borders*
My name is red because I'm one of the few Tok`ra. Your questions have now been answered.
Pimping D wrote:if this game has made you cry please delete your account and get a life
Prophet of Truth wrote:You are an impediment that the universe can no longer abide. Nature itself cries out for your destruction...
The Phoenix Awards!
The Xeno
n00b prophet
ID: 0

Re: Otherland

Just be prepared... none of his works are potato chips.
With the Otherland series (I am neutral towards his fantasy stuff):
I set into them with my usual level of prejudice - and he pulled a number of stunts that normally make me throw down books in disgust (you do not make reference's to cult-classics without getting the facts dead on), and several times I almost thought I'd spent weeks of reading just to run into canned-fodder.

But, at the end of it - I looked back and was really, really impressed.
I don't think Tad is a genius of a writer - but he definantly makes up for any quality disparity with quantity - and for once, such a tactic worked for me.
Considering i had no positive expectations, didn't even buy the books (picked them up for free volunteering at a book sale)... actually stopped reading the first chapter to do something else....meh... slug through it and I think at the end you will be pretty astounded.

--------------------

Return to “The Book Club”