Complaining about Homer

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
TigerGirl
Forum Grunt
Alliance: BAU - 2IC
Race: System Lord
ID: 65269

Re: Complaining about Homer

Not hard.

[02:02:24 pm] -NickServ- Nick ***Filtered*** is now forbidden.

Also, I have logs of him connecting to the network with 6 different IP addresses in the space of 30 minutes.
*purr*
AKA Cait
Server administrator for SGW IRC.

[17:58:20] <%quickshot84> cait...you are the most random person i think ive ever met =\
[15:09] <Kittie> Hot girl with breasts > Furry animal
Eriond
Forum Grunt
ID: 0

you'd think ppl would have enough common sense not to se them tho and its time consuming thinking of all the nicks ppl could use
Move along, move along, nothing to see here
noone
Forum Elite
Alliance: none
Race: gone
Alternate name(s): Nostradamus,Nostra,NanoBite,Drought,Darkwing Duck,Duck Dodgers,Medusa,Star Nova,System Mistress,*The Exile,ingolfúr,Belle,Lagertha.

but having a standard list of certain words automatically denying usage in name .. or replacing them with other words, prevents a lot of future hassle and involvement of mods too ;)

edit: mods, chan op's, whatever ...
Mukasa
Forum Addict

TigerGirl wrote:Not hard.

[02:02:24 pm] -NickServ- Nick **modded** is now forbidden.

Also, I have logs of him connecting to the network with 6 different IP addresses in the space of 30 minutes.

that's cause i had problems with my net and connection was reset 6 times in 30 minutes and few hrs later same thing..and i have dynamic ip so it changed....
hidden
Lord of Chickens

Mukasa wrote:
TigerGirl wrote:Not hard.

[02:02:24 pm] -NickServ- Nick **modded** is now forbidden.

that's cause i had problems with my net and connection was reset 6 times in 30 minutes and few hrs later same thing..and i have dynamic ip so it changed....

so your net was having problems coincidently right after you got banned
Wolf359 wrote:I agree with hidden
Ferra
Forum Irregular
Race: System Lord
ID: 39507

I for one find that hard to believe...
Mukasa
Forum Addict

i don't care if u believe or not....i'm having probs lately all the time because of my pc..i need to format it.....
noone
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): Nostradamus,Nostra,NanoBite,Drought,Darkwing Duck,Duck Dodgers,Medusa,Star Nova,System Mistress,*The Exile,ingolfúr,Belle,Lagertha.

Jack wrote:PC problems wouldn't effect your IP address.

Actually ... software/hardware related problems 'could' cause this ... not one of the most comon problems ... but posssible ... some part of software could fail to release a previous used IP adress, and upon reconnecting to the dhcp, it tries the old ip, .. the dhcp could notices the IP is unavailable (still in use) .. and sent a new one.
Most often a reboot of the computer would already fix this as it would clear certain cache of IP's and dns's.

This is a problem which sometimes happens to wireless connections, has something to do with the PC turning on power save for certain networked hardware.

this is easy to check out though ... the IP's used should be well in the same range, seeing as they would be gotten from the same dhcp. eg. for ip4 usage, the first 3 octets of the ip are the same and only the last octet of the IP varies.

Would several total different IP's be used to connect, one could assume proxies are being used, which is often a standard method for irc users to bypass bans.
hidden
Lord of Chickens

Mukasa wrote:i don't care if u believe or not....i'm having probs lately all the time because of my pc..i need to format it.....

face it your story is far fetched you can see why you were banned stop fighting and just wait
Mukasa
Forum Addict

Jack wrote:PC problems wouldn't effect your IP address.

PC PROBLEMS AFFECT MY ABILITY TO CONNECT TO INTERNET. FFS THIS IS 5TH TIME I'M WRITTING THIS. CAUSE OF PC PROBLEMS I HAVE PROBS WITH MY INTERNET CONNECTION..MEANING WHEN I CONNECT TO INTRRNET,IT EITHER DOESN'T WORK LIKE IT SHOULD OR IT DOESN'T CONNECT AT ALL!

and pc problems effect IP address
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

why did you press reconnect to irc every time then?
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Severian

homer wrote:i follow all rules layed oput by us

homer wrote:<homer> but instead of following protocol he decided to baltenly break the rules by...

Speaking of following protocol and blatenly breaking the rules:

[spoiler]Regarding TLE:

folow ruiles or get the *modded* out
i dont care about #tl anymore

1) [That modded is the F-bomb btw so leading by example on no swearing]

TLE are just bullies / people who think they can do nehting
bout as nice as a kid who steals money from people who cant do netihing back

(TLE/Slovenia)...is a bunch of lil kids shunned by there parents so they try to be bad and beat on lil people who cant really protect themseleves

atleast omega plays on even ground most of the time in there wars
[02:42:37] (@Paul) unlike TDL and TLE

Mind you these are Ops, the rough equivilent of mods abusing and slurring TLE while its members are in irc. Provoking people and then kick/banning them when they get angry and post something in the moment.

2) So much for Not offending people and for leaving politics behind.

Having Gotten sick of listening to slurs, I leave the main channel. An Op PMs me asking why. Knowing the op as a friend before they got into any position I confideded Via PRIVATE MESSAGE my feelings on the issues and those involved.

That Op then takes my private message and POSTS it on the op channel on irc for ALL ops to see despite being a private message.

3) Note: Part of the administrations removal of Whitey was apparent abuse of privacy. So much for respecting privacy and people's personal messages.

<homer> for uyour notices to quickie about me
<homer> do u actually think people dont tell me evertyhting

See Above regarding privacy and user-op PMs and how much respect there is for it (or lack thereof). The quote says it all about the attitude on the situation.

Now here comes the fun part:

-irc.pptwars.net:@#tl- OperOverride -- homer invited him/herself into the channel.
* homer (AmJo0.God@The.Light.At.The.End.Of.The.Tunnel.org) has joined #tl

* ZzzZ---ZzzZ sets mode: +m
* ZzzZ---ZzzZ sets mode: +vv Dark_Blahh Ta|afk
<homer> btw modes dont affect me

Homer Physically Breaks into our Alliance Channel using his opper powers when he was NOT allowed in.

1) #TL is invite only, meaning our channel says we invite people in, you can't just walk in i.e it is a private channel, not an official one. Homer circumnavigates this +i mode to force his way into our channel. So +i Security is breached.

2) #TL was set to +m when he entered which is moderated so that only people we allow to talk can talk in our channel (setting +v[oice] to our users so they can once +m was set]. We set this and although it doesn't have an effect on the top authority, the meaning should be clear, we didn't want him in the channel or talking. So +m Security is breached.

3) #TL had attempted to kick homer from the channel. Another sign of us not wanting him in there. This is ignored. So /k Security is breached.

4) #TL had a previous ban on homer in the channel, meaning he was not allowed in the first place and he knew it. Despite this he broke in as kicks have no effect on him. So +b Security is breached.

+i +m +b and /k

4 signs all ignored and all avoided through oper abuse.

4) Note: Part of the administrations removal of Whitey was apparent abuse of Oper powers. Here we have a case of an oper, the highest authority on irc abusing his powers for a personal vendetta, breaching security, privacy and ban evasion.

<homer> ok first off balor
<homer> u of all people
homer> never expected this out of u

<+homer> all i have to say from here on out .... u have changed alot balor ..for the worse everyone has seen it and everyone would agree with me

<+homer> shal i post the notuices ?
<+homer> of u accusiong me ?

So the whole purpose of this was a PERSONAL matter which homer used his opper powers to deal with. Breaks into our channel for the sole purposes of making a judgement call of me, threatens to post the PRIVATE messages and unfairly confronts me in my own alliance channel.

Had he an issue with me, instead of blatently abusing his opper status, he could of:

1) /noticed me in irc so effectively PMing me without making a public break in and show of it.

2) Sent an ingame or message on forum.

3) Contacted me on MSN or sent an email to me as what was the usual method of resolving issues.

Now as for my "crimes" and how i've changed, they relate to:

A) My post showing that the initial bans were wrong and subsequent bans were the result of an op provoking a user to action and then banning them for it.

<homer> and i admit that mukasa first ban weas unjust
<homer> was*

In the post I also say that subsequent bans are required as by the rules as I do not endorse rule breaking. So there was nothing wrong at all with my post.

B) Chaning nicks. In TLE, we all changed our name to {colour}_Blahh with Blahh's permission. There is no rule against this and the text we used was not abusive nor broke any rules. People in the main channel change nicks all the time for fun or for a laugh depending on circumstance.

Again, nothing wrong. The judgement calls on me do not relate to my PMs as they were just said 30seconds before the whole event and therefore the everyone thinks you've changed comment relates to only A and B.

And yet, this somehow justified abuse of op powers to get to a place to abuse a user.[/spoiler]

The flip side to every coin. This is what the OPs did not say nor admit in this thread.

If my actions spoke for themselves and earned me a judgement call, then homer's actions can speak for themselves.

Just to put things in context.

New Horizons for SGW irc chat

Old Horizon, New Faces.
noone
Forum Elite

Seriously ... you guys could use some professional help on how to run an IRC with the enormous potential the sgw channels have .....

With all do respect ...

I've been on IRC ...for ... well ... well over 12 years on and off ... opéd, hosted my own servers, been normal users, custom scripting ... the whole shabang ...

I read things on the forum about several users whom had been engaged in somewhat of a working relation with sgw and IRC....
Huge confidentiallity borders have been breached in mulitple occassions ...
and worrying abuse of powers in several matters ..

even myself had a small run in about the use of a masked f-word less then 12 hours ago :\ ... rather stupid realy ... when I got invited back I asked if the one who kicked me for it could be any more uptight about enforcing a certain rule ... I was asked to leave by another if I didn't like it ... I left ... sry .. your loss ... your dealing with people there, not minions.
I generally help a lot of people when I'm on irc channels varying in all sorts of matters computer, internet and games related, in several languages ....

SGW has so manny players, so much potential for thriving irc channels .... you guys should try and get operators and server owners that are not playing the game ....
hidden
Lord of Chickens

hmmm so i guess it hasn't changed then

but i still dont agree with musaka

i just hate the whole if you dont do what we say then leave kind of attitude
Eriond
Forum Grunt

so how come alot of ppl can stay in the channel? nostra you broke the rules then start whining that they are strict, i know for a fact that at least 1 person who goes into #stargatewars is around 11 yrs old, i wouldnt want my child reading ppl swearing, yes kids swear at school but when i have any say then if i had a child they would not see it, its not hard to avoid swearing alot of ppl manage it all the time so why cant you?

@ balor
you go on about whitey reading pm's and channels then equate this to someone TELLING homer what what said, how is this in ANY way the same? if someone tells you something that is soooo different than someone "spying" on your convo.

I've said it before and i will keep on saying it
IF YOU DONT LIKE THE RULES THEN DONT GO THERE!"
being on irc is a privellige NOT a right, try going to another server where they have a no swearing policy and see what happens when u break their rules.

tle have been appearing in the kick logs alot more lately which to me personally shows that you are just a bunch of kids, if your not then prove me wrong and act responsibly and mature.
Move along, move along, nothing to see here

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”