possible scam control

A place to discuss 'Market Stuff'

Moderator: Market Mods

Parabellum
Forum Newbie

Re: possible scam control

but i think most would say they would rather spend an extra $9 to know that you will not be scammed. kind of like insurance fees.
Iƒrit
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Legion
Race: System Lord
ID: 22479
Alternate name(s): Hansel, Nighthawk

Cyberblade wrote:I'm all for this. I think there are some problems-listen to my solution and see if it makes sense:

Player A wants to buy UU/Account from player B

Player B gives UU/login details to ADMIN (more on this below)

ADMIN confirms receipt of items from player B for player A

Player A sends $$X to ADMIN

ADMIN gives UU/account to player A, and sends $$Y to player B

Ok, the reason I'm suggesting ADMIN is twofold-one, we trust him. We may not want to-but we have to-he has the power to do anything he wants to our accounts at any time. The second reason is shown above in the $$X-$$Y. Admin will forward on 95% of whatever is sent him. Whoever is doing this deserves something for their time-and I think admin should be getting more from this game (maybe it will be enough to pay for his time to fix some of those bugs).

So, considering paypal/moneybookers fees it would work something like this: You need to send player B $100 you send ~$110 to admin, and you are guaranteed you get what you buy. Obviously it would take 24-48 hours for most deals. Maybe longer over the weekends.

Anyways-I think this would be better than having it run by players. Yes, I could trust some players-but theres always the never knowing what amount it would take to get them to run from this game with the cash...

Also-this method assumes that admin would get involved, which we would have to ask him about. In any case, commentary/critiques are appreciated.
I'm all for this. I think there are some problems-listen to my solution and see if it makes sense:

Player A wants to buy UU/Account from player B

Player B gives UU/login details to ADMIN (more on this below)

ADMIN confirms receipt of items from player B for player A

Player A sends $$X to ADMIN

ADMIN gives UU/account to player A, and sends $$Y to player B

Ok, the reason I'm suggesting ADMIN is twofold-one, we trust him. We may not want to-but we have to-he has the power to do anything he wants to our accounts at any time. The second reason is shown above in the $$X-$$Y. Admin will forward on 95% of whatever is sent him. Whoever is doing this deserves something for their time-and I think admin should be getting more from this game (maybe it will be enough to pay for his time to fix some of those bugs).

So, considering paypal/moneybookers fees it would work something like this: You need to send player B $100 you send ~$110 to admin, and you are guaranteed you get what you buy. Obviously it would take 24-48 hours for most deals. Maybe longer over the weekends.

Anyways-I think this would be better than having it run by players. Yes, I could trust some players-but theres always the never knowing what amount it would take to get them to run from this game with the cash...

Also-this method assumes that admin would get involved, which we would have to ask him about. In any case, commentary/critiques are appreciated.

starry~* wrote:Maybe a new Admin for just cash trades?

Because scammers are usually cheaters too. They tend to have multis so the same account doesn't get linked to scamming etc.

And that Admin would, in effect, make the game safer, provide a better community setting, and prevent cheating.

starry~*

I also feel that getting the Admin involved with a fee, is the best possible solution. Only question is, are they willing?
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

General Orion wrote:
I also feel that getting the Admin involved with a fee, is the best possible solution. Only question is, are they willing?

concidering the amount of income this could generate if used properly, I would think they would be crazy to atleast not look into it.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
cyberblade
Forum Regular
Alliance: Pi Allegiance

Lore wrote:
General Orion wrote:

concidering the amount of income this could generate if used properly, I would think they would be crazy to atleast not look into it.

I concur. Someone who has access to admin should mention this thread/idea to him.
Cycladic
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: NEO
Race: Tollan

Whoever the middleman is would need some sort of 'multiple account' exception aswell, as they need to log into the sold account to verify the details, password, etc.

Probably easily fixed, but just something else to consider.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Cycladic wrote:Whoever the middleman is would need some sort of 'multiple account' exception aswell, as they need to log into the sold account to verify the details, password, etc.

That was the whole point of having admin actually involved as it is techniqly cheating. I'd prefer everything was legal.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Reason, youll get dead.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Lore wrote:
Cycladic wrote:Whoever the middleman is would need some sort of 'multiple account' exception aswell, as they need to log into the sold account to verify the details, password, etc.

That was the whole point of having admin actually involved as it is techniqly cheating. I'd prefer everything was legal.

Exactly. An admin for trades, with 10% of the fee going to admin to help cover costs. that way everything is guaranteed. I think its well worth it. Anyone know if admin has even seen this thread?
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

cyberblade wrote:Exactly. An admin for trades, with 10% of the fee going to admin to help cover costs. that way everything is guaranteed. I think its well worth it. Anyone know if admin has even seen this thread?

I think 10% is to steep, expecially concidering the prices some accounts have brought, as for admin seeing this, I'd put my money on no. Got to the Admin meet and try to pitch it there.
Reason, youll get dead.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Lore wrote:
cyberblade wrote:Exactly. An admin for trades, with 10% of the fee going to admin to help cover costs. that way everything is guaranteed. I think its well worth it. Anyone know if admin has even seen this thread?

I think 10% is to steep, expecially concidering the prices some accounts have brought, as for admin seeing this, I'd put my money on no. Got to the Admin meet and try to pitch it there.

if you're already spending a thousand bucks-whats a hundred more to make sure you're getting what you paid for instead of the possibility of being scammed?
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

cyberblade wrote:if you're already spending a thousand bucks-whats a hundred more to make sure you're getting what you paid for instead of the possibility of being scammed?

my point is 100$ is often the difference between buying and walking, not to mention the fact of who is to actually pay it? the buyer or the seller?

Maybe 10% up to 50$ max,,,, Thats a USS donation. Can be used in the same manner to avoid the "tax evasion" aspect of it.

JMO.
Reason, youll get dead.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Lore wrote:
cyberblade wrote:if you're already spending a thousand bucks-whats a hundred more to make sure you're getting what you paid for instead of the possibility of being scammed?

my point is 100$ is often the difference between buying and walking, not to mention the fact of who is to actually pay it? the buyer or the seller?

Maybe 10% up to 50$ max,,,, Thats a USS donation. Can be used in the same manner to avoid the "tax evasion" aspect of it.

JMO.

I could agree with that.
Iƒrit
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Legion
Race: System Lord
ID: 22479
Alternate name(s): Hansel, Nighthawk

Any word from the admin yet?
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Ifrit wrote:Any word from the admin yet?

nope. but I don't go to the meetings... someone who does needs to point him this way.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Well Admin won't come here, the idea will have to be forwarded. I attended the meeting but he allows people to run amuck and waste 90% of the meeting. He needs to clean it up a bit and grow a backbone.
Reason, youll get dead.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Lore wrote:Well Admin won't come here, the idea will have to be forwarded. I attended the meeting but he allows people to run amuck and waste 90% of the meeting. He needs to clean it up a bit and grow a backbone.

Well, fro what I've heard (I don't attend the meetings) he's just too nice of a guy... Which isn't a problem really. We as a community just need to help filter things, and perhaps deal with admin via email-with links to the appropriate articles so that he can see what people think.

Return to “Market Discussion”