Change to Rule Discussion: Profanity

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
smooshable
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Change to Rule Discussion: Profanity

Change is highlighted in yellow italics.

Section 5b.

Profanity
The use of profanity on the SGW forums is prohibited at all times. This means swearing, cursing and vulgarity. This includes the use of masking. SGW is a family orientated game and as such the language used must be suitable for children.

N.B. Factorizer signatures often display such content. As a result a decision has been made to ban them from use on the SGW forums.

Consequence:
The offending user will be given one warning point.
Indu and proud of it!!
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

Re: Change to Rule Discussion: Profanity

can we specifically add something to include the use of acronyms? - as there is little difference between that and masking.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
smooshable
Forum Expert

Honours and Awards

I'm not sure I understand? Can you give me an example? Do you mean like 'WTH'?
Indu and proud of it!!
thaltek
Spamity Spam In A Can

:? i am from what most would call a conservative family........ my sister could make a longshoreman blush with vulgarity when she was 5...... what i am getting at is that kids already know these words at an alarmingly young age however society in general has been the one to allow that....

unfortunately i feel admin is wanting to make a forum based on a "war game" a friendly place for little kids !!!!! come on!!!!!!
i would be more bothered by little jhonny playing a war game where he "attacks" other players than be worried about someone saying "WTH".
Biscuit
The Crumbly One

WTH? Acronyms are okay. They're a part of any online community and as Thal said.. kids already know every 'curse' word there is.
'Curse words' are harmless to intelligent people.. acronyms are just letters..
Apadamek
Forum Expert
Alliance: Cloud HVE
Race: System Lord
ID: 1981768

Jack wrote:
Wolf359 wrote:can we specifically add something to include the use of acronyms? - as there is little difference between that and masking.

No

ditto.
Image << Trader Feedback
Questions about the stock market, watches or betting on sports? Click the sig above!
General Disorder
Forum Expert
Race: Ancient

Wolf359 wrote:can we specifically add something to include the use of acronyms? - as there is little difference between that and masking.

Well the acronyms are not so bad. It allows the adults to express themselves with out the eye sore of actually seeing the words written. I don't care about the acronyms as much.In comic books they use replacements for swear words all the time. You know they are cussing and angry but still can replace them with any words you would feel appropriate. Like saying WTH means What the Freak or Frick. I Always say Fricking ay instead of the other swear words. So I think interpretation plays a big role also.
thaltek
Spamity Spam In A Can

Jack wrote:Well, now that I had my smartass one word reply, I will give a reason why not.

If you mod arconyms, then you're going to have to mod words like "frack" because in a way it's still masking, and quite frankly it's just retarded.

another point that can be added to this is that when certain language disappears people have a funny habit of disappearing too... after all who wants to live in a nice clean white sterile box of perfection....
General Disorder
Forum Expert
Race: Ancient

:lol: OCD people
HairyMehoff
Forum Expert

im sorry, but wut is a factorizer signature?

im assuming this rule change is in reference to the anus sigs, but i still dont understand wut the rule is saying
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

smooshable wrote:I'm not sure I understand? Can you give me an example? Do you mean like 'WTH'?

That's exactly what I mean! It just seems stupid to me that if you aren't going to allow masking, you are going to allow things like 'WTH?'

We all know that kids know curses and swear words - but that doesn't mean we should encourage it - which is the whole point of not allowing profanity.

Some people say 'WTH?' is okay because it allows expression (albeit unintelligent) without the eyesore of seeing the - so how exactly does that differ from masking, because you don't see the word then either?!

I would also point out that by strict definition of the rules as they stand, acronyms expressing profanity are NOT allowed....

The use of profanity on the SGW forums is prohibited at all times.

And that is why I asked for something specifically on acronyms - not because I think it should be disallowed (although it should be if you aren't going to allow masking) - but because it it isn't currently specified in the rules, yet masking is.

You either have to ban them both, or allow them both as banning one and allowing the other is meaningless.

So if acronyms are allowed, then it needs to be stated, but you can't realistically allow one and ban the other.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
thaltek
Spamity Spam In A Can

:? why do rules to places that are used to be fun now resemble the US tax law...... :(
Biscuit
The Crumbly One

Wolf359 wrote:
smooshable wrote:I'm not sure I understand? Can you give me an example? Do you mean like 'WTH'?

That's exactly what I mean! It just seems stupid to me that if you aren't going to allow masking, you are going to allow things like 'WTH?'

We all know that kids know curses and swear words - but that doesn't mean we should encourage it - which is the whole point of not allowing profanity.

Some people say 'WTH?' is okay because it allows expression (albeit unintelligent) without the eyesore of seeing the - so how exactly does that differ from masking, because you don't see the word then either?!

I would also point out that by strict definition of the rules as they stand, acronyms expressing profanity are NOT allowed....

The use of profanity on the SGW forums is prohibited at all times.

And that is why I asked for something specifically on acronyms - not because I think it should be disallowed (although it should be if you aren't going to allow masking) - but because it it isn't currently specified in the rules, yet masking is.

You either have to ban them both, or allow them both as banning one and allowing the other is meaningless.

So if acronyms are allowed, then it needs to be stated, but you can't realistically allow one and ban the other.

You really need a reality check..
'Profanity' is sociably seen as 'wrong'. Why? It's a random collection of letters formed to explain something. Most of which are related to sex or a sexual 'organ'.
Penis is allowed but using the 'D' word is wrong. Calling someone a penis-head is just seen as weird. but d-head is 'wrong'?
You along with the rest of society need to grow up and get rid of that sense of "I'm better than everyone else so they HAVE to do what I think is 'right'" attitude. People who see 'profanity', as it's called, as wrong really make me sick and you're trying to get acronyms seen as 'wrong'. You're taking this a step too far. I suggest you leave the internet now before you get offended by someone who tells you to STHU.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

It really amazes me that people do not seem to read - and instead only seem to gloss over posts and let their imagination do the rest! I need a reality check? Really!? Some people need a check - an eye check!!!

And don't make it personal, Biscuit, saying I need to grow up - I'm 33 and can swear with the best of them - you don't know me, and until you do, keep your personal comments to yourself. The whole point of putting these threads up is to discuss and give opinions on a potential rule change - and that is exactly what I've done.

I'm not saying whether acronyms for swearing should or should not be allowed - frankly, I don't care that much - but by the strict definition of the rules AS THEY STAND, which say that 'profanity is disallowed AT ALL TIMES', then they should therefore, currently, not be allowed.

I do take your point, Jack, that it is generally accepted, however, that also reinforces my point, that because they are not specifically mentioned in the rules, and the rules state 'disallowed at all times', that an amendment to specifically mention them (whether they are allowed or not) will make it clear.

The other side of my argument - which again is not, to say that swearing acronyms shouldn't be allowed - is that if you ban masking, then swearing acronyms should also be banned, as they are just as bad as each other and it is pointless banning one form when you don't ban the other.

So, in my opinion they should either both be banned, or both allowed, but you can't have a mix!

Edit: This is another forum rule, but also relates directly to this one:

Members of the SGW community are required to speak courteously to others

So bearing that in mind, is telling someone to 'STHU' being courteous? And this is my point - whatever the decision is on acronyms, it needs to be made clear, and the mods (and the rest of the community) need to understand which acronyms would be allowed, and which would in fact breach other rules.
Mod Speak
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Jack, I think we're violently agreeing!
Mod Speak

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”