A possible solution to the untouchable spy saga........

Should we have Spy Turns as suggested in Wolf's post?

Yes - seems like a marvellous idea!
31%
No - don't be silly Wolf! (Please explain)
56%
Possibly - with modification. (Please explain)
13%

Total votes: 16
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

A possible solution to the untouchable spy saga........

This came to me as I was driving 150 miles back from a meeting today, and I believe it would solve all the bickering over players with high spy levels being untouchable.......

Why don't we simply have Spy Turns in the same way that we do with Attack Turns???

It's really simple - you acrue 1 Spy turn every half hour - same as attack turns. Then, when you sabotage someone (not reconnaissance) you spend some of your spy turns - the more you spend, the more chance of success - obviously taking into account both sides stats.

Now, the clever bit, in order to successfully defend against being sabotaged, you must keep some of your spy points back in reserve - the amount needed to keep back being dependent on your own spy level, your number of spies, the enemy spy level and his number of spies. there is an element of guesstimation involved in this - but then that is also true in real life - it also means that a lower level player has a more realistic chance of repelling a saboteur. As your spy-level increases then the relative (to other players) number of reserved turns required also dcreases.

These reserved 'anti-sabotage' turns are not depleted if the sabotage is defended successfully. But if the sabotage is successful then it could decrease by 1 or 2 points - this adds to realism in having to build up your defences again.

It also adds to realism in that you need to wait before you can sabotage again, in effect planning the next mission.

I believe this system is fair for all concerned and is a more realistic representation.

Please vote on this proposal and add any comments.....
Evil thor

Nothing personal but i would like to keep it the way it is. Almost. Let them bicker. there the children. They should learn to lighten up. it's only a game.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Evil thor wrote:Nothing personal but i would like to keep it the way it is. Almost. Let them bicker. there the children. They should learn to lighten up. it's only a game.

I think what is upsetting most people though - myself included is that they do not want to be drawn into this argument, but they are because of the people with the high spy levels constantly sabotaging them.

That is what happened to me and, although I did not want to do it, I sold all my weapons to upgrade my spy level and hopefully make myself less of a target - dropping in rank from about 59 to 1400! Like I said, I did not want to do it - it was the constant loss and threat of loss of weapons that made the choice for me. If I had a method of retaliation I would not be so bothered - however, as a very well known player has stated in these forums on more than one occasion - 'You cannot touch me, I have no care of naquadah". And fair play! I just think this would add more realism and even out the gameplay so it is not tipped toward those who concentrate solely on spy level - as these people cannot be beaten.
compmage
Moderation Wizard
Race: Daimon
ID: 5149

Honours and Awards

As far as I know we already have this. It is called Covert Capacity.
Posting as General Mod

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Re: A possible solution to the untouchable spy saga........

Wolf359 wrote:Why don't we simply have Spy Turns in the same way that we do with Attack Turns???

It's really simple - you acrue 1 Spy turn every half hour - same as attack turns. Then, when you sabotage someone (not reconnaissance) you spend some of your spy turns - the more you spend, the more chance of success - obviously taking into account both sides stats.

Now, the clever bit, in order to successfully defend against being sabotaged, you must keep some of your spy points back in reserve - the amount needed to keep back being dependent on your own spy level, your number of spies, the enemy spy level and his number of spies.

where in the attack turns system do we use them as defence??

no really how could they be similiar like that?
and what would the cut off be for those who don't spy or sabotage just using their spys as defence?

and i thought we already had the amount of "spy turns" in the form of covert capacity, which is limited in how many you can have, and then if this was implemented the supporters would then prolly want/need the ability to transfer said turn types.(actually i'd kinda like that ability now...)

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
curiousmanners
Fledgling Forumer

I think it's a very good idea being the victim of a sabatuer recently except the idea needs tweeking maybe do away with the whole defense part and if admin wants add weapons for defense against sabatuers to decrease effects its been talked about already but covert capacity isn't how many turns you have it's how tired your spies are the more you use them the lower the capacity the less effective they are
Last remaining warrior of the APMT
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One

Honours and Awards

curiousmanners wrote:I think it's a very good idea being the victim of a sabatuer recently except the idea needs tweeking maybe do away with the whole defense part and if admin wants add weapons for defense against sabatuers to decrease effects its been talked about already but covert capacity isn't how many turns you have it's how tired your spies are the more you use them the lower the capacity the less effective they are

it's how many times you can spy/sabotage on someone, i know i've seen someone run out of them before.

in essence they ARE covert turns.

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~
Last edited by Psi Kiya Trist on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Gatedialer
Forum Regular
Alliance: None
Race: Asgard
ID: 5650

Only sabs should be limited on turns not spying. Since sabs are like attacking and spys only well spy on you.
Fox
Forum Grunt

Perhaps sabatage should be worth more covert capacity turns then spying?
Lord Dougy
First Evil Ori Assasin

i personnally think it would be better to have a new unit which is solely to protect against spies. it would be easier to impliment as well.
---->Lord Dougy<---- aka _lord_dark_

Bow down to the First Ori :twisted:
Jaffa15
Forum Grunt

i have to agree with Fox
Shoot for the moons even if u miss ull land among the stars
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

compmage wrote:As far as I know we already have this. It is called Covert Capacity.

Yes, but no. :D
Last edited by Wolf359 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Jaffa15 wrote:i have to agree with Fox

I'd go along with that, except it doesn't really alter much does it!?

Mine seems to constantly be between 48 and 52 - no matter how many times I sabotage or spy.

If that was to be the way it was implemented then it should be significant enough to make a difference - i.e. knock 10 points off covert capacity and then you get 1 back per turn - therefore there is a consequnce to using sabotage as it temporarily weakens your defence against sab attacks and your ability to carry out sab attacks - realistic.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Psi Kiya Trist wrote:
curiousmanners wrote:I think it's a very good idea being the victim of a sabatuer recently except the idea needs tweeking maybe do away with the whole defense part and if admin wants add weapons for defense against sabatuers to decrease effects its been talked about already but covert capacity isn't how many turns you have it's how tired your spies are the more you use them the lower the capacity the less effective they are

it's how many times you can spy/sabotage on someone, i know i've seen someone run out of them before.

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~

We're getting into the nuances of the language again here Psi!!!!!!!!
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One

Honours and Awards

Wolf359 wrote:
Psi Kiya Trist wrote:

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~

We're getting into the nuances of the language again here Psi!!!!!!!!

i was merely attempting to clarify that covert capacity was in a way, sort of like turns, there are a few key differances, one being that as a supporter you can transfer attack turns, but the similaritys: you get a certian amount of covert capacity every turn, and you use 1 every time you do a spy mission. with that in mind it could be possible to implement your idea from that, and therefor be somewhat simpler for Admin, but a few key changes would need to be placed, and a few things suggested might be left out, i'd go more indepth, but i lack the time right now.

maybe we'll see something come of this and maybe we won't, doesn't matter to me either way, cause i know Admin is working on updates.
and this type of thing could possibly be amoung them.

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~

Return to “Suggestions Archive”