Issues with Jack

Ombudsman Case Archives
The Deity
Forum Regular
Alliance: Ancient Brethren
Race: Ancient
ID: 23494
Location: Alas, Now I'm A Little Further Away From The Sun, But I'm Closer To The Warmth

Issues with Jack

Here you go Bill, something to keep you amused.

Last 16 page thread was locked and the people who posted within were directed to the Ombudsman. A few have continued to post elsewhere so I'll hold the torch and direct them here.

Case in point, Jack edited someone's post. Post was a racial slur so it required modding. In all seriousness it deserved a banning but the three strikes rule seems to be in effect.
Issue is Jack put words into AGA's mouth which he had no right to do. People arc up when people quote them and change the content so for a Mod to edit the original post with anything more then an edit and an explanation is stepping beyond his limits.

To stop this getting locked can we keep it civil as best we can. Put forward your argument and if you have a rebuttal, stick to topic. Makes it easier for Bill to sift through and take the key points.

Feel free to edit this as you go Bill. Best of luck.

Against Jack
- Edited a users Post and put words in their mouth to directly insult them. Regardless of the user, the moderator has a responsibility to act in a professional manner. Jack does not live up to this professional code of conduct.

- Frequently triggers swear filters despite knowing exactly what words are banned. What right has Jack to moderate a community when he himself cannot control himself to act in an appropriate manner? Why should the community listen to his mod warnings or accept his decisions when he himself is free to abuse without setting a proper example to follow?

- Lacks an in-depth knowledge of the rules. As a result of gaining his position out of who he knows and not what he knows, Jack is found wanting in regards to rules, either through ignorance or that he just doesn't abide by them. Hell, he didn't even recognise the rules on abuse or language by user standards, nor the standards expected by mods.

- Abusive towards users. This is not a once off case, I invite everyone to spend a few mins actually going through Jack's posts in this thread, in the other threads and from a general profile view and just realise the extent of his abusive nature. He lacks Tact and does that maintain an attitude that becomes a mod. Case in point, all replies to criticism to date.

- Lacks moderating experience, makes obvious mistakes time and time again. Splits threads when they do not require splitting and again was made a mod and then supermod without any substantial experience, without any trial period, without being restricted to a smaller section to build up experience. Other mods with experience were denied promotion due to there not being a requirement for any more Supermods and yet well you see how things turned out.

- Was made Ombudsman without a revote despite having only a handful of votes as a result of his friendship with Smoosh and not out of any true ability. This assignment ties in with being made a mod and subsequently a super mod without any discussion involving the rest of the team or without any input from any other source. Just an impulsive decision made by the admin and the admin alone.

- As Ombudsman, each issue was dealt with poorly, leading to direct conflict with those who brought issues up. Never acted in a professional manner and was blinded by tunnel vision, his own pride and opinion to properly listen to and act upon user concerns. Again, this behaviour can still be seen as a supermod and so an ongoing characteristic flaw that makes him utterly unsuitable for leadership positions.

- As Ombudsman did not make the community aware of the fact he was a supermod/had supermod powers. In a thread he was personally involved in, after it was locked he managed to post in it for the last laugh through the (ab)use of his supermod powers and when this was brought up refused to concede his point leading to more conflict with several users including myself and Clarkey (which in recent debates, Jack made an unwarranted attack by implying we are in a homosexual relationship with each other and entirely inappropriate supermod or no supermod).

- As Ombudsman, he held a neutral position and yet was a best mate with the administration leading to a complete and utter conflict of interests. During the April fool’s Joke, he was aware of it as was Smoosh in advance and both played along showing a gross betrayal of their positions and duties to the community.

-As Ombudsman he worked with another mod to create cover stories for themselves and when I pointed out the fact he knew while posted something utterly ambiguous that implied he didn't, his post was magically changed to ensure I couldn't call him out on it. Also note the fact that a guilty party (Jack) volunteered to find out what happened speaks volumes about his duplicitous nature and just how compromised the position was.

- Was made a mod due to his friendship with smoosh. As a mod, he made spam threads in the general area breaking spam rules and also spammed user threads in general on purpose, drowning out their meaning and leading them to be moved to the spam temple again derailing threads which lead to breaking more rules.

- Despite there being no need for more supermods, he was made Supermod above and beyond current candidates who were denied the promotion due to the lack of need for one. No discussion was made, no one was consulted, and it was an in-house promotion over all the other workers due to the simple fact of who he is.

- Has caused several rifts within the moderation community and destabilised it a lot more than any help he has given it. One has to weigh the potential good he does with the amount of damage he does and come to your own conclusions if he should stand down or not.

- As a Super Mod he's been in constant conflict with users and posters, unable to control his opinions or his emotions in a position that requires tact and a working relationship with the community. Other moderators were fired outright for this behaviour while he gets a pat on the back.

For Jack
-AGA's post was a racial slur and by comparison editing a post is the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by The Deity on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
generaloneill
Forum Regular
Alliance: lone wolf
Race: Tollan
ID: 6258

Re: Issues with Jack

and im not jack. already been massed cos of this.
mikgamer1

This shouldn't even be an issue to start with...no clue why AGA isn't perma banned with the posts of his I read...
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri
ID: 0

This has already been discussed, and my opinion is that it was blown way out of proportion. Personally, I dislike misquoting, and really dislike editing someone else's post without their permission....But that is me. This has been discussed already, my recommendation was made.

Nobody is perfect, that is just how the world works. If it happens again, I am sure futher action will be taken at some level.

However, I have been offline for a few days due to internet issues..I will look to see if any further information has been posted and/or passed down.

Bill
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
GeneralChaos
Forum Addict
Alliance: Omega
ID: 59627

Jack wrote:If AGA wasn't your friend, you wouldn't give a **Filtered**. :lol:

Also, I never made AGA look like a fool, he did a pretty damn good job of that himself, if anything I made him look like a far better person(for apologizing) then he actually is.

Unless you want to start defending racism...

How about you go for an entire day posting on these forums without triggering the filter system, my problem with you is, you are 1 of the most abusive people ive ever seen, and i find it hard that someone like you can demand others follow rules etc,

Just because the forums filter it out, is not an excuse, other mods dont lose it like you do, you just go off on a rampage, soo

Go for 1 day on these forums without triggering the auto filter system.
Deep within Noob Cave, you find a strange pool filled with a glowing blue liquid. You think back to what your mother told you about unfamiliar liquids found in caves.

You're pretty sure she said "Drink it! What's the worst that can happen?"
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri
ID: 0

GeneralChaos wrote:

Also, I never made AGA look like a fool, he did a pretty damn good job of that himself, if anything I made him look like a far better person(for apologizing) then he actually is.

How about you go for an entire day posting on these forums without triggering the filter system, my problem with you is, you are 1 of the most abusive people ive ever seen, and i find it hard that someone like you can demand others follow rules etc,

Just because the forums filter it out, is not an excuse, other mods dont lose it like you do, you just go off on a rampage, soo

Go for 1 day on these forums without triggering the auto filter system.

I concur about the filter. I will bring up this issue to the administration and post a response in this thread.

Bill
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

People bringing up quotes of the Mod Guidelines should also read Jason's post scriptum to that, instead of quoting and coming off as uninformed, which I am sure is something we all want to avoid.

Heck, Jack Sparrow knew better. Irony?
Severian

The fact is, this is not an over-reaction. One only needs to look at his responses to judge his suitability for the position. This is a long string of issues and not a single issue where his own posts and replies are another issue in their own.

Let's have a look shall we:

- Edited a users Post and put words in their mouth to directly insult them. Regardless of the user, the moderator has a responsibility to act in a professional manner. Jack does not live up to this professional code of conduct.

- Frequently triggers swear filters despite knowing exactly what words are banned. What right has Jack to moderate a community when he himself cannot control himself to act in an appropriate manner? Why should the community listen to his mod warnings or accept his decisions when he himself is free to abuse without setting a proper example to follow?

- Lacks an in-depth knowledge of the rules. As a result of gaining his position out of who he knows and not what he knows, Jack is found wanting in regards to rules, either through ignorance or that he just doesn't abide by them. Hell, he didn't even recognise the rules on abuse or language by user standards, nor the standards expected by mods.

- Abusive towards users. This is not a once off case, I invite everyone to spend a few mins actually going through Jack's posts in this thread, in the other threads and from a general profile view and just realise the extent of his abusive nature. He lacks Tact and does that maintain an attitude that becomes a mod. Case in point, all replies to criticism to date.

- Lacks moderating experience, makes obvious mistakes time and time again. Splits threads when they do not require splitting and again was made a mod and then supermod without any substantial experience, without any trial period, without being restricted to a smaller section to build up experience. Other mods with experience were denied promotion due to there not being a requirement for any more Supermods and yet well you see how things turned out.

- Was made Ombudsman without a revote despite having only a handful of votes as a result of his friendship with Smoosh and not out of any true ability. This assignment ties in with being made a mod and subsequently a super mod without any discussion involving the rest of the team or without any input from any other source. Just an impulsive decision made by the admin and the admin alone.

- As Ombudsman, each issue was dealt with poorly, leading to direct conflict with those who brought issues up. Never acted in a professional manner and was blinded by tunnel vision, his own pride and opinion to properly listen to and act upon user concerns. Again, this behaviour can still be seen as a supermod and so an ongoing characteristic flaw that makes him utterly unsuitable for leadership positions.

- As Ombudsman did not make the community aware of the fact he was a supermod/had supermod powers. In a thread he was personally involved in, after it was locked he managed to post in it for the last laugh through the (ab)use of his supermod powers and when this was brought up refused to concede his point leading to more conflict with several users including myself and Clarkey (which in recent debates, Jack made an unwarranted attack by implying we are in a homosexual relationship with each other and entirely inappropriate supermod or no supermod).

- As Ombudsman, he held a neutral position and yet was a best mate with the administration leading to a complete and utter conflict of interests. During the April fool’s Joke, he was aware of it as was Smoosh in advance and both played along showing a gross betrayal of their positions and duties to the community.

-As Ombudsman he worked with another mod to create cover stories for themselves and when I pointed out the fact he knew while posted something utterly ambiguous that implied he didn't, his post was magically changed to ensure I couldn't call him out on it. Also note the fact that a guilty party (Jack) volunteered to find out what happened speaks volumes about his duplicitous nature and just how compromised the position was.

- Was made a mod due to his friendship with smoosh. As a mod, he made spam threads in the general area breaking spam rules and also spammed user threads in general on purpose, drowning out their meaning and leading them to be moved to the spam temple again derailing threads which lead to breaking more rules.

- Despite there being no need for more supermods, he was made Supermod above and beyond current candidates who were denied the promotion due to the lack of need for one. No discussion was made, no one was consulted, and it was an in-house promotion over all the other workers due to the simple fact of who he is.

- Has caused several rifts within the moderation community and destabilised it a lot more than any help he has given it. One has to weigh the potential good he does with the amount of damage he does and come to your own conclusions if he should stand down or not.

- As a Super Mod he's been in constant conflict with users and posters, unable to control his opinions or his emotions in a position that requires tact and a working relationship with the community. Other moderators were fired outright for this behaviour while he gets a pat on the back.

Finally, just look at his posts in the 30something page thread involving Teal'Auc and FS as well as his posts in all spin off threads.

Is that the attitute of a supermod? How can it all be considered just one issue that has been blown out of proportion? A mod's ability to have a healthy working relationship with the community is their most important trait.

Considering how volatile things have become as a result of his actions, one might consider that it easily outweighs any good he does through moderating and if he truly works for the good of the community and not for being on a power trip playing God on forums, he would recognise the fact the community is better off without him leading it.
sweet revenge
Forum Newbie

The Deity wrote:more conflict with several users including myself and Clarkey (which in recent debates, Jack made an unwarranted attack by implying we are in a homosexual relationship with each other and entirely inappropriate supermod or no supermod).

Dude how sad are you Jack! Still hurling abuse at a player that left the game and the forum a long time ago. No wonder Clarkey hasn't returned to the game, the forum or even appeared on MSN since he left if there's people like you around. Dude it's just sad and pathetic that you have to bully someone that isn't even around anymore to fight back.
sweet revenge
Forum Newbie

Jack wrote:
sweet revenge wrote:
The Deity wrote:more conflict with several users including myself and Clarkey (which in recent debates, Jack made an unwarranted attack by implying we are in a homosexual relationship with each other and entirely inappropriate supermod or no supermod).

Dude how sad are you Jack! Still hurling abuse at a player that left the game and the forum a long time ago. No wonder Clarkey hasn't returned to the game, the forum or even appeared on MSN since he left if there's people like you around. Dude it's just sad and pathetic that you have to bully someone that isn't even around anymore to fight back.

Perhaps you should understand the context of the jab before running off and making assumptions. As it wasn't aimed at Clarkey, it was aimed at Sev. :roll:

If you imply that one person is in a homosexual relationship with another person then you are aiming that at both people involved. Because you thought you may have been aiming it at Sev, but then you brought Clarkey in to it which means you "personally targeted" him as well.

Then there's this one....

[quote="Jack"]Severian is **Filtered** cause I said his posts are too long and made his bumbuddy look like an idiot.{/quote] So who exactly were you calling a bumbuddy here???
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

How? Pretty well.. the occurrence of the name Clarkey in the posts of this Sweet Revenge is statistically improbable without there being a more than casual relationship.

And no.. that was *NOT* a comment on your sexuality. :? What's with that anyway..
sweet revenge
Forum Newbie

I introduced him to the game when I first started playing it at work.
Severian

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=117720

Mods will need to contact me via pm, and not post in any thread in this section. This is mainly due to the request of several players, who made their case. They prefer the mods deal with me in a private manner over pm. This however will be waved if the party making the complaint so decides.

Way to follow the rules Jack. I do not recall Sweet Revenge or myself giving you express permission to deal with our complaints in this thread. Yet more examples of your complete and utter ineptness.
TheRook
Forum Addict
Alliance: Warlords of Briton
Race: Humanoid
ID: 30679

Jack wrote:
sweet revenge wrote:
Jack wrote:
sweet revenge wrote:

Perhaps you should understand the context of the jab before running off and making assumptions. As it wasn't aimed at Clarkey, it was aimed at Sev. :roll:

If you imply that one person is in a homosexual relationship with another person then you are aiming that at both people involved. Because you thought you may have been aiming it at Sev, but then you brought Clarkey in to it which means you "personally targeted" him as well.

Then there's this one....

Jack wrote:Severian is **Filtered** cause I said his posts are too long and made his bumbuddy look like an idiot.
So who exactly were you calling a bumbuddy here???

That would be the comment Sev is talking about, genius.

I'm curious though, how do you know Clarkey?

It doesnt matter if he does or doesn't know Clarkey.

This thread is discussing your actions.

AGA isn't my friend and I still "give a **Filtered**" because thats the whole point a of a mod... is that they should treat all forum users equally and with respect even if you think they dont deserve it.

You think people are trying to defend racism? Your very wrong.

People are trying to defend the FORUM USERS RIGHTS and see that mods follow the same rules forum users do. which you have a blatant disregard for.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of the issues raised in this thread (see in the first post)

TheRook

@ Jack why dont you take this like a serious issue instead of trying to make jokes out of everything as that just makes it look like you could careless about peoples opinions. Also I thought the users could come to this thread and talk with the ombudsman who would bring the case to the mods not have the mods come in here and spam the topic?

@ Severian - Yup thats what I was getting at just above this bit.
My Account for Sale (cold hard cash) at the link below (Have a look its a great deal!)
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 1&t=174111

Main ID = 30679 | Ascended ID = 1467
mikgamer1

Ineptness is far from a slang word, or being used with a derogatory meaning (if it even has one). Plus it is not a filtered word and I have serious doubts of it ever being on that list. You're not exactly helping yourself if you don't know that by now ;).

Return to “Case Archives”