Solution to snipers??

Suggest any improvements
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

Solution to snipers??

Well in all honesty, I am not personally THAT concerned with snipers, as im pretty lazy and dont do much...

but, it seems like a pretty dishonourable style of play.

I say, just add in an upkeep cost to trained units (ALL trained units save resource and untrained planets). If you want to train more units then your income will allow you to naturally upkeep as military worlds, then the system will not allow you. Same principle with Weapons.

So all those pesky sniper accounts with that tiny 5trill income wont be able to train up that nice 12-20quad strike to hit people, until they have something to lose. (IE someone with a 1.5bill army size wont be able to just train a strike to go and nail someone big, then untrain it, because there income will not allow them to do so.)

Obviously super planets have significantly LESS upkeep. After all they are more advanced and more capable, and by joe they can take care of themselves a bit more, but on the other hand once trained, they cannot be untrained. Ergo, if the snipers want those big strike they once had, they will need the supers ergo they will need to have them trained and will have something to lose.

I am not sure what the cost would be, but it would have to be an effective cost. The upkeep would not actually take anything from your income as being ascended beings and all you would make up for it, but if you cannot afford it to begin with then tuff cookies. (I know each weapon has a cost already, this is not another cost it is a new angle. We pay for a weapons initial purchase, and we repair them AFTER attacks, but this is more of a, keep them clean and working through training and old age etc etc...extra upkeep if you would.)

it sounds a bit dodgy at first, but i think it could work, and would add a whole new catch to ascention.

I also add that if you have been able to attack someone in the x5 rule within 24 hours, you should be liable for a retaliatory response within that 24hrs.

means EVERYONE will be affected, but is it worth it to get something back into ascention?
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Re: Solution to snipers??

Semper wrote:I say, just add in an upkeep cost to trained units (ALL trained units save resource and untrained planets). If you want to train more units then your income will allow you to naturally upkeep as military worlds, then the system will not allow you. Same principle with Weapons.

So all those pesky sniper accounts with that tiny 5trill income wont be able to train up that nice 12-20quad strike to hit people, until they have something to lose. (IE someone with a 1.5bill army size wont be able to just train a strike to go and nail someone big, then untrain it, because there income will not allow them to do so.)

Well the problem I see is it doesnt effect snipers in the least, other then forcing them to grow a bit.

Let me explain.

say you have like 6.5 bill resource planets, but at night you untrain them and crit, when your online you uncrit, and train all miners.

Snipers will do the same. Untrain when building AT, Train 5 bill resource planets, 2 turns latter start attacking small and in 2 maybe 3 turns they have their 30 Quad strike, farm all their AT away, when done they untrain again, leaving only the few strike supers to be killed, but their super CER's more then cover them before they refill their AT.

Or did I misunderstand you Semper?
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
semper

Lore wrote:
Semper wrote:I say, just add in an upkeep cost to trained units (ALL trained units save resource and untrained planets). If you want to train more units then your income will allow you to naturally upkeep as military worlds, then the system will not allow you. Same principle with Weapons.

Well the problem I see is it doesnt effect snipers in the least, other then forcing them to grow a bit.

Let me explain.

say you have like 6.5 bill resource planets, but at night you untrain them and crit, when your online you uncrit, and train all miners.

Snipers will do the same. Untrain when building AT, Train 5 bill resource planets, 2 turns latter start attacking small and in 2 maybe 3 turns they have their 30 Quad strike, farm all their AT away, when done they untrain again, leaving only the few strike supers to be killed, but their super CER's more then cover them before they refill their AT.

Or did I misunderstand you Semper?

Well then, bring back raiding to ascention. They can keep their planets in resources planets, at least you can hit them back for some DMU.

TBH im just brainstorming here... as i was thinking of this today when I was looking at my attack logs in ascention, and well, I like a challenge, and this has now become an itch that needs to be scratched.

I will keep thinking though....*shifty look*
when I am in ascention, though I wont dedicate any time other then SGW time to it.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Personally (Yes im bias because it was my idea), I still like the idea of limited protection along with the reviving of raiding and the addition of Resource planet destruction.

Basicly
1. You have a "safe zone" of resource planets that cant be raided away. This is based on your CER, the bigger your CER the bigger your safe zone. Any resource planets over this can be untrained. Any untrained over this can be raided.

2. You can't be raided into the ground like in times past, but this will allow you grow as your CER does, and allow fast growth for smaller/newer players since raid is back.

3.Make it so now you can either kill untrained outright, or say 10% are killed per raid, to stop the endless swapping of untrained planets by people all over the "safe Zone" limits.

Since deascention is impossible, and there is no protection from snipers, this would somewhat allow some defense. If they sniper too many people and they all set on them then perhaps they can keep them below the 1/5th rule and protect themselves. Seeing as AT are so limited, it can't be overly abused.

Just an idea.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Reason, youll get dead.
Harlequin
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: Alcoholics Anonymous

Lore wrote:Personally (Yes im bias because it was my idea), I still like the idea of limited protection along with the reviving of raiding and the addition of Resource planet destruction.

Basicly
1. You have a "safe zone" of resource planets that cant be raided away. This is based on your CER, the bigger your CER the bigger your safe zone. Any resource planets over this can be untrained. Any untrained over this can be raided.

2. You can't be raided into the ground like in times past, but this will allow you grow as your CER does, and allow fast growth for smaller/newer players since raid is back.

3.Make it so now you can either kill untrained outright, or say 10% are killed per raid, to stop the endless swapping of untrained planets by people all over the "safe Zone" limits.

Since deascention is impossible, and there is no protection from snipers, this would somewhat allow some defense. If they sniper too many people and they all set on them then perhaps they can keep them below the 1/5th rule and protect themselves. Seeing as AT are so limited, it can't be overly abused.

Just an idea.

The major problem with this idea is that it is the snipers that have the largest CERs. This would offer them a much larger buffer of planets to help them get back up to sniping standards. Yes, if enough people gang up on them they may be kept from the 1/5 rule, but once people have DM'd a person to dust they just forget all about them.

I think what we would also see here is an increase in the activity of the mid-range player trying their hand at sniping - they attack, get DM'd, stay 5 or 6 days below rank 2000 to get full turns, raid themselves up to a decent strike because their CER isn't quite good enough and then go on their run again much sooner than would normally be expected.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Well I have to agree with you there mate, but its a start.
Reason, youll get dead.
Harlequin
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: Alcoholics Anonymous

Lore wrote:Well I have to agree with you there mate, but its a start.

Perhaps if the safe zone was a % of total size instead of CER? As you've said before, snipers try to keep low in order to gather turns and rebuild their armies; as they grow they have more to lose and more chance of being kept under the 1/5 rule. This suggestion of course will be shot down because it means the larger your account the more you can lose.

I think the general principal of raiding to keep the snipers down is a good idea, it just needs some way of being friendly to everyone else :?
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Harlequin wrote:
Lore wrote:Well I have to agree with you there mate, but its a start.

Perhaps if the safe zone was a % of total size instead of CER? As you've said before, snipers try to keep low in order to gather turns and rebuild their armies; as they grow they have more to lose and more chance of being kept under the 1/5 rule. This suggestion of course will be shot down because it means the larger your account the more you can lose.

I think the general principal of raiding to keep the snipers down is a good idea, it just needs some way of being friendly to everyone else :?

well making it a % of total size is a bad idea as the more your attacked the more you can be attacked so your safe zone continues to shrink.

Why is it not friendly to all? There needs to be more war in ascended. Thats the only way to slow or stop the massive growth going on there. Really, whats the point of a massive influence if you don't use it?
Reason, youll get dead.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

How about this.. you can only train troops once a day. And with "train troops" I mean planets, of ANY sort. :P
semper

Lois Lane wrote:How about this.. you can only train troops once a day. And with "train troops" I mean planets, of ANY sort. :P

lol...funny thing is, I too was entertaining this thought.

I was trying to see problems with it though. I could see that newly ascended accounts could suffer greatly from it, which means an age factor may need to be introduced?
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Semper wrote:
Lois Lane wrote:How about this.. you can only train troops once a day. And with "train troops" I mean planets, of ANY sort. :P

lol...funny thing is, I too was entertaining this thought.

I was trying to see problems with it though. I could see that newly ascended accounts could suffer greatly from it, which means an age factor may need to be introduced?

ok i dont understand? Can you untrain troops once a day as well?

can you just not train them?

I dont see the difference, snipers will train 1 time, do their work and kiss the rest goodbye just like now, only difference may be they loose their covert eyes and just use 1 AT probes.

Explain it a bit more.
Reason, youll get dead.
~Insider Trader~
Forum Irregular

Here's just a slightly controversial idea. How about basing turn generation on CER?

Think about it.

Who has the highest CER's? The snipers
Who hides in low ranks to generate turns? The snipers (and everyone who abuses the multiplyer)

Just change turn generation from overall rank to a CER rank and that effectively kills off the worst of this problem. I'm not saying it solves it but it is something to think about....
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

~Insider Trader~ wrote:Here's just a slightly controversial idea. How about basing turn generation on CER?

Think about it.

Who has the highest CER's? The snipers
Who hides in low ranks to generate turns? The snipers (and everyone who abuses the multiplyer)

Just change turn generation from overall rank to a CER rank and that effectively kills off the worst of this problem. I'm not saying it solves it but it is something to think about....

Snipers will adapt. Swap accounts to lower CER or stop altogether and allow others to pass them by. This will barely slow the problem and definitely not stop it.

But definitely thinking outside the box there mate. 8)
Reason, youll get dead.
Infinity
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Endgame

What about building a def? I've seen 40q def ingame 8)
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

iNFiNiTY wrote:What about building a def? I've seen 40q def ingame 8)

Why?

I had a top 10 ranked Def. I had more men in my def then my attacker had in his entire army. 30 assasinations later I had 4% of my armies left and I couldnt touch him due to the 1/5th rule.
Reason, youll get dead.

Return to “Suggestions”