Hello Mr Ombudsman =]

Ombudsman Case Archives
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Technocracy
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1910219

Hello Mr Ombudsman =]

This is in referral from clarkey. He told me to come to you as he will reply no further. Id like to.. post a complaint? Or just simply have my warning revoked.

I was warned for saying N****** on the forum, as apparently its masking. Last time I checked, that was censoring. "Nimbl es" or "N!mbles" (please dont warn me again for that clarkey...) would be considered masking, however, N****** wont. It also appears Clarkey believed that I intended to say, Nig*** (Im sure you know the rest). Where I didnt, Nimbl es isnt even that offencive.. So why I should be warned for even saying it, beats me.

My problem comes, that I see many other forum users say "F$@% you" or.. "who gives a F**K" yet their messages stay there and remain unedited by forum mods. However, one letter, and 6 asterisks get me a warning.

And then just for him generally picking on me, or having something against me. Which should be kept, ingame.

Such examples include:

clarkey wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:*removed by order of 12agnar0k*

*removed by order of 12agnar0k*

Stop spamming or it will be removed by ME.

Yet other members did the exact same thing. And he only tells me to stop (well he quotes me), so one would assume he is talking to me.

and then:

clarkey wrote:Can we stop the talk now. Both sides have had their say, we now leave it to the admins.

Not that he said it to me, but only until after I had posted.. minutes after I had posted, so yeah.

Thats it. Id just like my warning looked at, cheers Mr ombudsman =]
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Re: Hello Mr Ombudsman =]

Masking is the use of replacement or additional characters inserted into a word so that the word censors will not censor the word.

Basicly the word filter list is what defines a "bad" word presently. Anything done to bypass the filter is masking. I think you are unclear as to what the forums define as masking.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Darkalbino_ wrote:It also appears Clarkey believed that I intended to say, Nig*** (Im sure you know the rest).

And where did you happen get that tid bit of information?

Darkalbino_ wrote:And then just for him generally picking on me, or having something against me. Which should be kept, ingame.

Such examples include:

clarkey wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:

Yet other members did the exact same thing. And he only tells me to stop (well he quotes me), so one would assume he is talking to me.

One would assume wrong.
You were the last one to do that, if the person before you did it last then I would have quoted them.

Darkalbino_ wrote:and then:

clarkey wrote:Can we stop the talk now. Both sides have had their say, we now leave it to the admins.

Not that he said it to me, but only until after I had posted.. minutes after I had posted, so yeah.

I think a lot, in fact most people (especially in the General and For Admins sections) know that I am extremely active on the forums, therefore posting shortly after you have posted means nothing.
Image ImageImageImage
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate

clarkey wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:It also appears Clarkey believed that I intended to say, Nig*** (Im sure you know the rest).

5 ) The abuse of other users whether through verbal attacks on their character, threats against them as a person or attacks on another’s race / gender / ethnicity or other minority status are prohibited on these boards.

I never did any of that... One would only assume you miss interpreted my *s.

Tell me, if i called someone a **** would I also be warned?

Just so people know, I said:

N******

not Nimbl*s, not Nimb*** not N***les. Would have I be warned for saying *******.....
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Darkalbino_ wrote:
clarkey wrote:

5 ) The abuse of other users whether through verbal attacks on their character, threats against them as a person or attacks on another’s race / gender / ethnicity or other minority status are prohibited on these boards.

I never did any of that... One would only assume you miss interpreted my *s.

Tell me, if i called someone a **** would I also be warned?

Just so people know, I said:

N******

not Nimbl*s, not Nimb*** not N***les. Would have I be warned for saying *******.....

Semantics.

If we start entertaining the idea that people's asterixes are being "misinterpreted" then the forums would descend into chaos, and there would be no feasible way to prevent swearing or unacceptable abuse. People could just asterix whatever the hell they wanted and claim the moderators had been too quick to see the worst. As far as I'm concerned that's a dangerous road which we shouldn't go down.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

Warning in this area only happens un request by the ombudsman else it stays no worries.

On another note notes word you say other are using and nothing happens to them well report them if you see them as then they will get modded and a warning given for masking as the rules says as we are treating everyone the same. If the word you where using are filtered and you avoid the filter to write it weather you agree with the fact that word is on that filter are not the issue, the issue is if it is on the filter avoiding it is breaking the rules and warnable. Then we can discuss if the word should be on the filter list but as long it is the warning will come and should come.

Thats how the rules atm are and there has been long talks over other words if you look around.

Bill sry for answering this as it is your cornor but he had 2 questions that was something no one else answered him on.

Nimras
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate

Nimbles.
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate

Its not in the filter, however, can be found offensive by some. Please revoke my warning Clarkey.

Just as the word retard isnt filtered out, yet can still be found offensive.
Last edited by Darkalbino_ on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

The big red always scares me.. :(

I think Mordack said it best.. once we start arguing that we might be misinterpreting asterisks, the chaos that will ensue is kind of huge. :)
Just don't use asterisks, simple enough. Use them, and you're masking something warnable.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Okay, so now you've gone from being semantic to being deliberately obtuse. Obviously we can't filter evey word that anybody in the world could possibly find offensive. That would be ridiculous... but certain offensive words, those whose usage is most common and most widely deplored, are obviously going to be filtered.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Darkalbino_
Forum Intermediate

I see your point, but if you see text:

John says: Im going to mass you!
Fred says: **** !!!

HOW DOES THAT WARRANT A WARNING
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

Okay im no mod so im not even sure i should be posting here anyway but here goes.

Darkalbino_, you obviously thought the word was offensive, thats why you self modded it with the ***.
This means you was deliberately trying to offend someone, therefore you should be warned.

Next time play it safe and dont use offensive words.
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

And on another note until bill sees this i will lock this topic. Refering to the rules set by the ombudsman.

This is for posting why and give evidence not bigger or talk outside the box as we have.

Bill feel free to give me a warning for overstepping but since atm its just going back and forth and out of what you asked to be honoured i will lock it.

And for everyone to remember here are the rules set for this corner:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=120807 <--- And i know i broke that one
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=117720 <----- And that one as well
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=117479

Nimras
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri

Darkalbino_ wrote:This is in referral from clarkey. He told me to come to you as he will reply no further. Id like to.. post a complaint? Or just simply have my warning revoked.

I was warned for saying N****** on the forum, as apparently its masking. Last time I checked, that was censoring. "Nimbl es" or "N!mbles" (please dont warn me again for that clarkey...) would be considered masking, however, N****** wont. It also appears Clarkey believed that I intended to say, Nig*** (Im sure you know the rest). Where I didnt, Nimbl es isnt even that offencive.. So why I should be warned for even saying it, beats me.

My problem comes, that I see many other forum users say "F$@% you" or.. "who gives a F**K" yet their messages stay there and remain unedited by forum mods. However, one letter, and 6 asterisks get me a warning.

And then just for him generally picking on me, or having something against me. Which should be kept, ingame.

Such examples include:

clarkey wrote:
Darkalbino_ wrote:

and then:

Thats it. Id just like my warning looked at, cheers Mr ombudsman =]

Here's my opinion.

Any 1 or multiple letter word with many *** after it can only be a form of masking. As A##@!$ isn't a word, therefore you wish to portray yourself as cursing...which is against the rules. So, regardless of how much you can argue... Such as anyone can with masking, it could very well have been the word that Clarky warned you for. Not only could it have, but everyone reading it will automatically assume it is...because you are not clear.

Masking doesn't necessarily mean you are cursing, it means that others read and see curse words..As I would have if I saw the original post. I suggest using some class and consider other peoples feelings before you post such open ended statements which could construe racial hate or otherwise curse.

I am afraid that I might be construed as biased in this instance and would like an admin to look over my reasoning.

Bill
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri

Nimras wrote:And on another note until bill sees this i will lock this topic. Refering to the rules set by the ombudsman.

This is for posting why and give evidence not bigger or talk outside the box as we have.

Bill feel free to give me a warning for overstepping but since atm its just going back and forth and out of what you asked to be honoured i will lock it.

And for everyone to remember here are the rules set for this corner:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=120807 <--- And i know i broke that one
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=117720 <----- And that one as well
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=117479

Nimras

Nimras,

Thank you for watching it during my weekend of no internet. I see that you meant well, no worries :)

Check my reasoning though.

Bill
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.

Return to “Case Archives”