Server status

You all asked for it.
adminGary
Origins Server Administrator
ID: 0

Server status

The Origins server is currently being reset.

I should have it back up in a few hours.

Best of luck in live.

Thanks to everyone who helped bug test the beta.
It was a bumpy ride.

AdminGary
Midnight
Forum Regular

Re: Server status

Hopefully we got most of the bugs fixed.
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

*is excited*
Spoiler
Apocalypse.
Forum Irregular
Location: Hell (where all the other Hell spawns hang out) , awaiting my well earned damnation

Angnoch wrote:*is excited*

I second that !

Avatar And Banner Created by BAHAMUT SGWs Number one Graphic designer.
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

adminGary wrote:The Origins server is currently being reset.

I should have it back up in a few hours.

Best of luck in live.

Thanks to everyone who helped bug test the beta.
It was a bumpy ride.

AdminGary

How long????! I will ask before the torrent of other users flood in and ask, though I wont be logging on until tomorrow afternoon with all likeliness.

On a further note? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you abolished the 48 hour ppt Gary? I may actually cry if you have not because it WILL ruin the game to a degree when the inevitable farm fest comes.

A missed ppt of a couple hundred K could give someone a massive lead. So like I said..hopefully you will abolish it, and just give us a two turn ppt from the moment we log in.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Apocalypse.
Forum Irregular
Location: Hell (where all the other Hell spawns hang out) , awaiting my well earned damnation

Semper wrote:A missed ppt of a couple hundred K could give someone a massive lead. So like I said..hopefully you will abolish it, and just give us a two turn ppt from the moment we log in.

Would that mean that everyone already registered would have ppt until they log in ?
I like the 48hr ppt it gives everyone a chance to save some money and decide the direction they would like to go in the game .

adminGary

I'm thinking 48 hour ppt aswell, unless anyone can convice me otherwise before I finish with the server reset.

Also the time when people come off ppt is being spread over 12 hours.
(Ie minimum ppt time 48 hours, max ppt time 60 hours)
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

adminGary wrote:I'm thinking 48 hour ppt aswell, unless anyone can convice me otherwise before I finish with the server reset.

Also the time when people come off ppt is being spread over 12 hours.
(Ie minimum ppt time 48 hours, max ppt time 60 hours)

We had a debate about it, its in the development section. We discussed the pro's and cons and quite a few of us agreed that we would only need a two turn start.

You see Gary I have played many of these games from their start and they all start the same way. 48 hour ppt, and I know of and played two that had some straddled with ppt. Here are the problems..

48 hour, set ppt:
People come off at the same time. There is a massive farm fest. Firstly not everyone is online. Secondly some have faster internet speeds than others, some spend the best part of a day clicking re-fresh as every turn goes by because they have no life to purely get THIS advantage, and some are better players than others and know how to farm and spend efficiently. To cut this short, maybe two or four or five maybe eight people at the most will farm a truck load than everyone else, its inevitable..and it happens.

This then creates a massive power gap in the game. You have your two-five top dogs, who usually then go and get into an alliance together and basically rule the game. Because they have more resources to use 99% of the time they discover the best way to manipulate the markey quickly, or the generally ingame system and their power escalates as they share this with themselves and abuse the resource needs and general inexperience of the other players.

It is hell, trying to play a game like this..once this gap is made, the only times it ever ends is when the people leave. I promise. In fact we had a perfect demonstration of it this time round. SGT john keel got 38million naq off one ppt hit. If he had spent that wisely at that stage of the game..he could have easily dominated, probably with little to no challenge.

48 straddled ppt's:

Its all the same, just because people come off within a space of 12 hours does not mean it wont be a 12 hour farm fest. The same thing will happen.

Not to mention, and I can near enough guarantee..someone will moan because they only got 48 hours ppt, and someone else got 60.

In conclusion, the only thing you can do, to best ensure that this power gap will not be created and people spend their naq, is to make the ppt as short as possible but give people enough time to spend their starting naq. Two turns from the point of log in should be more than ample time for anyone who signs up, or from when the beta players first log in, to spend their naq and get ready to farm. At most people will be able to get a turns income off someone. In the most tragic of circumstances at least it wont be a potential 96 - 120 turns of income.

edit:
viewtopic.php?f=176&t=134337

is the link to the original post and subsequent discussion.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Midnight
Forum Regular

I agree. We need to have a limited amount of protection.

Perhaps there is a way to code it something similar to the following layout:

ppt=next_login+60mins

Basic and gives everyone a chance to look things over and then utilise any current naq, and get themselves setup.

Don't know if the above coding is potentially possible (php is not my forte unfortunately).
adminGary

Midnight wrote:I agree. We need to have a limited amount of protection.

Perhaps there is a way to code it something similar to the following layout:

ppt=next_login+60mins

Basic and gives everyone a chance to look things over and then utilise any current naq, and get themselves setup.

Don't know if the above coding is potentially possible (php is not my forte unfortunately).

I think I might be able to cook something up. But this can only in effect for people currently registered. To have new players start with 1 hour is a bit reasonable, thus, new players get 48 hours. Current players will get an hour. Will take a little time to set up though.
Midnight
Forum Regular

Hmmm... considering a line of this thinking...

Could it be worked something like:

id(0-1000)ppt=next_login+60mins
adminGary

If only it was that simple...
Colton
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Canadian
ID: 1938534

Indeed.. :?
Apocalypse.
Forum Irregular

does that mean that users registered immediately after the reset will get 48 hours of ppt ?

adminGary

New users get 48 hours ppt, current user get 1 hour once they log in.

Return to “Origins General Chat”