Just some feedback.

want to publicly say something about the current Forum Mods? The Mod setup? The Rules of the Forum? here you go...
J.S.
Forum Elite
Alliance: EPA
Race: Human
ID: 22325

Just some feedback.

Hi there,

Firstly I would like to use this post as an example, this is no way is to attack the mod or player directly but to point out an example:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=136489&start=1370

I have seen a lot of examples where players think they rule the forums, either because they are in certain alliances or think they can get away with it.

First off comments like this:

Nimras wrote:Then do your job and lock it after both author and Dundee and several others asked lol.

I don't think it's appropriate for players to be publicly attacking mods and their decisions. This player should be warned for this post as the moderators moderate the board for free. As an forum administrator myself on several forums, I do not enjoy people attacking my moderators or telling them what to do, fact of the matter is, this could have been made in a PM not publicly to make the moderator look bad..

deni wrote:Don't tell me what to do or not to do. I can decide for myself. If you are not happy with my decisions then feel free to complain to the forum admins or/and the ombudsman.

As a former mod you might know that threads are locked by the mods/admins decisions. So far I have not seen Rocky asking this thread to be closed and even if he did, it is still up to the mods/admins if a thread is locked or not.

Secondly this part of the post, I feel was inappropriate from the mod. The reason for this, is that the moderator is representing the management of the game. As part of the management one thing that management should ensure is that players are protected by ensuring moderators do not have personal opinions in their moderating job. If the moderator does not lock the topic because they don't like a person or just doesn't want to, they shouldn't make it public for the whole world to see. This makes the moderator seem unapproachable when a player has a problem. If the players can't approach a moderator, they can be bullied out of the game.

It is a hard thing to keep your personal opinion out of your job that your doing for free, but it represents a game

I would like to see a change in is the way the boards are modded. Nothing major just some minor changes.

The first thing would be if a mod is a player who is in a war, they should not moderate or ask another moderator to moderate their own war threads.

The second thing I would like to see changed is the way that some players post things without any form of punishment like,
I'm gonna keep massing you till you delete.
or
The only way out of this war is deletion
. I know there are instances when you do want or feel the need to say these things, but think about yourself, do you play this game just to be a bully? Or do you play becuase it's a game and you enjoy playing? Players shouldn't be allowed publiclly bully people on the forums as this could bring more players on top of someone.

People can and have seriously gotten depressed from these kind of scenarios, and if left unchecked could result in consequences far reaching a deletion.

I know this is the extreme scenario, but it has happened before. I have read articles where this happened to someone in World of Warcraft and the player hung themselves. It probably wouldn't happen here, but you never know.

I would hate to think that someone or a group in the SGW community could cause such a thing, but prevention is better then finding out afterwards.

The third thing I would change is the way that players who spam other topics that are not related to them. This also makes the forums unfriendly and an non-enjoyable place to visit. From a customer/player experience point of view this drives players away more then it keeps them here.

Anyway I hope this feedback is taken on board seriously, and not dismissed cos of personal opinions of me.

Thanks

Jamie
Back in my day, we massed you for disrespect!
deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

Re: Just some feedback.

J.S. wrote:
deni wrote:Don't tell me what to do or not to do. I can decide for myself. If you are not happy with my decisions then feel free to complain to the forum admins or/and the ombudsman.

As a former mod you might know that threads are locked by the mods/admins decisions. So far I have not seen Rocky asking this thread to be closed and even if he did, it is still up to the mods/admins if a thread is locked or not.

Secondly this part of the post, I feel was inappropriate from the mod. The reason for this, is that the moderator is representing the management of the game. As part of the management one thing that management should ensure is that players are protected by ensuring moderators do not have personal opinions in their moderating job. If the moderator does not lock the topic because they don't like a person or just doesn't want to, they shouldn't make it public for the whole world to see. This makes the moderator seem unapproachable when a player has a problem. If the players can't approach a moderator, they can be bullied out of the game.

It is a hard thing to keep your personal opinion out of your job that your doing for free, but it represents a game

Thank you your feedback JS.

First off, the game and the forum are 2 separate entities so the mods do not represent the management of the game but the management of the forums.

My post was a direct reply to Nimras who mistakenly believes that if the author of a thread asks for it to be locked, it should be immediately locked without firther questions asked. This is not the case according to the current forum rules and the locking of threads is a mod/admin prerogative.

Secondly, I want to ask to keep my opinion as a player separate from my opinion as a mod. To make it easier, I use a blue bold font colour in my mod posts, and the forum default font style for my posts as a player. The post you question is in blue ergo it is my opinion as a mod and I cannot see where I did say or implied that I am not locking the thread because I do not like certain player personalities. Actually I did lock the thread and stated so in the last part of the post that you did not quote.

As you might know forum rules (just as laws) are not rigid and usually subject to interpretation. I am surprised that you see my clarifying post about the rules concerning the locking of threads as inappropriate.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

deni wrote:Thank you your feedback JS.

First off, the game and the forum are 2 separate entities so the mods do not represent the management of the game but the management of the forums.

I'd also like to thank JS for the calm and constructive feedback. It makes a pleasant change.

But I'd also like to reiterate what Deni said, Mods represent the Management of the Forums, not the Game.
Image ImageImageImage
Robe
Aussie Icon
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Vampyre
ID: 14876

Honours and Awards

J.S. wrote:I would like to see a change in is the way the boards are modded. Nothing major just some minor changes.

The first thing would be if a mod is a player who is in a war, they should not moderate or ask another moderator to moderate their own war threads.

People can and have seriously gotten depressed from these kind of scenarios, and if left unchecked could result in consequences far reaching a deletion.

I know this is the extreme scenario, but it has happened before. I have read articles where this happened to someone in World of Warcraft and the player hung themselves. It probably wouldn't happen here, but you never know.

I would hate to think that someone or a group in the SGW community could cause such a thing, but prevention is better then finding out afterwards.

I would change is the way that players who spam other topics that are not related to them. This also makes the forums unfriendly and an non-enjoyable place to visit. From a customer/player experience point of view this drives players away more then it keeps them here.

Thanks

Jamie

Constructive criticism eloquently phrased with practical solutions that the Forum Administrative and Moderator Team can review as part of its continuous improvement process.

Thank you

Robe
Buck wrote:The Great and Complex GateWars Novel!
The Forces of Light... Robe, The Novels Main Protagonist, The Polar opposite of EtL... Or is she?
Are they that different? There battles have encompassed entire careers and lives within the game, the most bitter and epic of enemies, neither will leave while the other stands... the ultimate climax, will it ever come?
Who knows. One things for sure, the Freedom Fighter is in it for the long haul, its in her head now,
and she must save the world or die trying.
2011 Descensions
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Forum & Mod Feedback”