I officially hate my philosophy teacher...

Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

I officially hate my philosophy teacher...

:evil:

I want to rant...so here it goes...

The situation: I decided to take Introduction to Philosophy at the local college, an online class so I could have a flexible schedule...

Firstly...nice a guy as the teacher is...he doesn't actually seem to attend class...we had a problem with one of the tests at one point, and it took him a week and a half to post the following: "it's fixed"

He never engages us in any communication, ever...unless we pester him for weeks...

None of the lectures he posted on the website actually work...so we don't get lectures...he has never actually assigned reading...so we have to figure out where we are in the text...and to top it all off...

We had an exam today...as usual I bluffed my way through...but then I found, at the end...essay questions...

Three...so I figure...meh, I can answer...he asked about a debate in a book that was never mentioned...ever...

It isn't in the main text...
It isn't on the list of required texts...
It isn't on the syllabus...
It isn't referenced in any of the books that were on the list of required texts...

GRAAGGAABH!!

:evil:

I am considering hunting him down and beating him savagely with a large trout...
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
lone dragon
Forum Expert
Race: something

Re: I officially hate my philosophy teacher...

Sounds like a lecturer not a teacher...either way sounds like he aint doin his job..
Spoiler
天龍; Fight a good fight...as I will rise from the ashes..
~[ Greased Gerbil ]~
Jack's Pet
Alliance: Just tremble...
Race: Careless Fairy
ID: 555555555

The fact that you wrote that post clearly demonstrates that you are too literate to be studying philosophy.

If you want to be a philosopher, stick to your own unique understanding of yourself and your world. That is, in a nutshell, what it is to be a philosopher.
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Yeah... :(

To be fair, if I read the book cover to cover...I might actually be able to pass the class...

I just don't know which parts he'll focus on during which week...

My problem, even though I hate his class...he's not a bad guy...I have managed to get a response from him on one of my topics, and he seem's fairly nice...

So I don't want to complain to the head of the department...as I should...

But I might have to, nice doesn't make a good teacher... :mad:
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Greased Gerbil wrote:The fact that you wrote that post clearly demonstrates that you are too literate to be studying philosophy.

If you want to be a philosopher, stick to your own unique understanding of yourself and your world. That is, in a nutshell, what it is to be a philosopher.

I needed a class that wasn't supposed to be a pain in my rear...for the credit hours on my degree, and my sanity...

So that was why I chose the class...besides, I like a lively debate...

Guess I got owned by murphy's law once again... ](*,)

~[ Greased Gerbil ]~
Jack's Pet
Alliance: Just tremble...
Race: Careless Fairy
ID: 555555555

My problem is that these classes insist that "Studying Philosophy" will make one a philosopher (or a philosophy expert). The classes are from what I understand, interesting. However, I don't see how regurgitating the work of famous philosophers throughout history, or writing essays about an ideological framework that half the class probably doesn't give a toss about, could possibly be construed as either original thought or individual understanding.

These classes should be renamed "Philosopher studies".

Also people who study, and do well in, these courses always turn into royal douches. We were discussing some kind of social issue at a BBQ a couple of years ago, when I made some profound comment. My friend who'd been 'studying philosophy' said "That's a very Nietzschean way of thinking about that". I nearly punched him in the head. According to these people, our ideas are not our own, because they may somewhat resemble those of past philosophers. My idea was not Nietzschean, it was MINE!!!

People ask me about great philosophers of the past, their lives, their ideas. I tell them I don't give a *filtered*, because I deal in my own original ideas.

GG
lone dragon
Forum Expert
Race: something

Greased Gerbil wrote:My problem is that these classes insist that "Studying Philosophy" will make one a philosopher (or a philosophy expert). The classes are from what I understand, interesting. However, I don't see how regurgitating the work of famous philosophers throughout history, or writing essays about an ideological framework that half the class probably doesn't give a toss about, could possibly be construed as either original thought or individual understanding.

These classes should be renamed "Philosopher studies".

Also people who study, and do well in, these courses always turn into royal douches. We were discussing some kind of social issue at a BBQ a couple of years ago, when I made some profound comment. My friend who'd been 'studying philosophy' said "That's a very Nietzschean way of thinking about that". I nearly punched him in the head. According to these people, our ideas are not our own, because they may somewhat resemble those of past philosophers. My idea was not Nietzschean, it was MINE!!!

People ask me about great philosophers of the past, their lives, their ideas. I tell them I don't give a *filtered*, because I deal in my own original ideas.

GG

"Dont ask philosophers, nor bother with their books" ask GG...
From the book of GG.
Spoiler
天龍; Fight a good fight...as I will rise from the ashes..
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

ah yes... philosophy... not very fun...

all norwegian university degrees demand one specific philosophy course, and its common among about 98% or so of students to dislike/hate it... the remainder dont know better, or actually study philosophy...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Corran Horne
Knower of ducks
Alliance: & Leicester
Race: Cheltenham Gold Cup
ID: 314159265

is this a public (pardon me french) college?
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

it is not a private university, so yes, it is public... it was established about 150 years ago by the norwegian government...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon
ID: 0

psh its philosophy

there is no right answer
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Greased Gerbil wrote:(or a philosophy expert)

A philosophy expert isn't a philosopher much like how a Babylonia expert isn't a Babylonian.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Corran Horne wrote:is this a public (pardon me french) college?

Yeah...I'm working on a transfer degree to the University of Arkansas...

Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

philosophy course = art course =/= a real course

in all seriousness, your course should have a class rep, if not, then there must be some system for student feedback you can use
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
uubi ami
Forum Irregular
ID: 0
Location: *has lost her pet smurf, which is now releaving itself on your now crab grass*

you guys should hear him rant.....>.>...o...m...g.... ](*,)

Return to “Old Temple Grounds”