Board warning issued

Ombudsman Case Archives
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: lol
Race: Lulz
ID: 69040

Re: Board warning issued

Jack wrote:Ignorance, I'm afraid, is no excuse. To use this forum is to agree to the rules; rules which are your responsibility to know. If you're not going to familiarize yourself with them, then you're going to have to be prepared to deal with potential consequences.

Like i have already said, i was my fault i did not read the forum rules, but i don't understand why i did not get a verbal warning.
I have had one before for other things, and i have changed and not done those things again.
I did not know about nor understand about masking, so why should i deserve a formal warning which doesnt give me a chance as previous to learn from my mistakes.

When i have already proven with given a second chance i change.

lulz?
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

H1H1 wrote:post anything like this again and you will be warned

that was refering to

mikgamer wrote:kikaz is my DH

pot, kettle, black
Last edited by Tropic Thunder on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lulz?
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Jack wrote:Ignorance, I'm afraid, is no excuse. To use this forum is to agree to the rules; rules which are your responsibility to know. If you're not going to familiarize yourself with them, then you're going to have to be prepared to deal with potential consequences.

Like i have already said, i was my fault i did not read the forum rules, but i don't understand why i did not get a verbal warning.
I have had one before for other things, and i have changed and not done those things again.
I did not know about nor understand about masking, so why should i deserve a formal warning which doesnt give me a chance as previous to learn from my mistakes.

Verbal warnings are issued at the discretion of the moderator in question. Some people just prefer to use them, others don't. There's no rule anywhere in the mod handbook which obligates us to verbally warn people first.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

H1N1 wrote:
forum rules wrote:b. Profanity
The use of profanity on the SGW forums is prohibited at all times. This means swearing, cursing and vulgarity. This includes the use of masking. SGW is a family orientated game and as such the language used must be suitable for children.

N.B. As Factorizer signatures often display such content the use of them is forbidden on the SGW forums. However, static versions of the signature, that are clean of prohibited material are still allowed, though users take full responsibility for their content.

Consequence:
The offending user will be given one warning point.

I fail to see where it says that I have to give a verbal warning?

Then how come i got verbal warnings for other things :?

H1N1 wrote:don't spam

who?

lulz?
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Tropic Thunder wrote:
H1N1 wrote:
The use of profanity on the SGW forums is prohibited at all times. This means swearing, cursing and vulgarity. This includes the use of masking. SGW is a family orientated game and as such the language used must be suitable for children.

N.B. As Factorizer signatures often display such content the use of them is forbidden on the SGW forums. However, static versions of the signature, that are clean of prohibited material are still allowed, though users take full responsibility for their content.

Consequence:

who?

Because, as I've said, it's at the discretion of the moderator in question. I used verbal warnings when I was a general mod, for example, but I know that others don't. Some people prefer to think that the rules speak for themselves and that there's no excuse. They're two different styles of modding, each with their merits and drawbacks. There is, however, no argument for removing a warning based on the lack of prior verbal communication.

(TB)
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

Jack wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
H1N1 wrote:

Consequence:

who?

Because, as I've said, it's at the discretion of the moderator in question. I used verbal warnings when I was a general mod, for example, but I know that others don't. Some people prefer to think that the rules speak for themselves and that there's no excuse. They're two different styles of modding, each with their merits and drawbacks. There is, however, no argument for removing a warning based on the lack of prior verbal communication.

Then thats an inconsistancy and hardly fair.
I don't see why i have to suffer. :-$

that was refering to

pot, kettle, black

lulz?
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Tropic Thunder wrote:

TT, it may be the case that once you have received a warning for a rule you did not read about you should read about the other rules.
It would seem the mod was within his rights to issue a warning here looking at the rules.
zeekomkommer
Forum Addict
Alliance: sigma leader
Race: systemlord
ID: 70578

since i'm drunk i won't read the case but all i'm saying is:

not knowing the rules is not a valid defence in the ombudsman section. all rules are clearly stated on the forum. ignorance is never an excuse, it can be a blessing to some but not on the forum

goes back to his bottle of gin, laters ppl and ps:
behave will ya, no spamming
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

Man Called Jim wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:

TT, it may be the case that once you have received a warning for a rule you did not read about you should read about the other rules.
It would seem the mod was within his rights to issue a warning here looking at the rules.

Again definiting the masking rule why is STHU (s-t-f-u) which is okay,

Well, yes but there is an inconsistancy with modding which i do not understand, before i got a verbal now i don't. It's hardly fair on us, when the hole mod team should work together and be consistance.

[spoiler]

that was refering to

pot, kettle, black[/spoiler]

also:

Mikgamer wrote:I knew he would get an un-justified warning for posting that.

Zeek and other mods will back me up on this.

In the recent case of Papa Smurfs complaint masking was being debated. Although a clear cut answer was never given, it was basically implied that common letter abbreviations such as "WTH" "STHU" "GTHO" etc. etc., which nearly every poster knows what each is short for, were not deemed to be masking. So taking that in to consideration "dh" should easily fall in to the same category and therefor if other said abbreviations that contain letter(s) which represent a banned word is not considered masking the same should apply for "dh."

I rest my case.

lulz?
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

H1N1 wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:that was refering to

pot, kettle, black[/spoiler]

Mik knew what he was posting, he could of gotten warned because of it as well probably. he is your friend, no? You just got a warning for posting that and was trying to push a button by doing so by claiming it meant something else, while in that case it could of

There isn't any sense to what you are saying.
How come he "could" have got warned and i "did" get warned :roll:

lulz?
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

Jack wrote:What are you, the biggest noob on the internet?

Good insult there,
you deserve a warning :roll:

why should there be a difference between noob and DH

lulz?
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Please refrain from insults. Also quote the right person TT ;). Keep the debate civil and away from spam.
t3h d3vastator
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

lulz i still fail to see why everyone is keep on about the having not read the rules.

TT knew the masking rule.
TT knew what masking was.

pot, kettle, black.
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

SuperSaiyan wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
Jack wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
H1N1 wrote:

Consequence:

who?

Then thats an inconsistancy and hardly fair.
I don't see why i have to suffer. :-$

its not an inconsistency, it is the moderator taking the situation, and developing the consequence they find appropriate, if we all acted the exact same way to every situation, your complaint would be useless as there would be no ombuds, and you would probobly be banned at this point.

As for the I didn't no, so I shouldn't have had a warning, if you get pulled over for speeding, and shrug your shoulders, do you really expect to not get a ticket? :lol:

Mods act on their discretion, I have been a general mod for a while, and have not issued a single board warning, personally I give two verbal and then you get the point. That is MY perogotive, and if I wanted to go straight for the deserved warning, I believe I have the discretion to do so (correct me if I am wrong mordack?)(The real mordack.... >_>).

Calling someone a noob is no insult, and I am willing to bet somewhere in your post history you have said it to someone, shall we get you a warning and everyone else that has said it one aswell? gonna be a slow two weeks.... :lol:

You're not wrong.

I suppose it is an inconsistency, but I'm afraid it's not one which is about to change. Mods are people, at the end of the day. As with any job, we all have different ways of doing things. We imprint aspects of our personalities on what we do. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather my moderators were men and women than machines.

(TB)
zeekomkommer
Forum Addict
Alliance: sigma leader
Race: systemlord
ID: 70578

here is the official ombudsman statement:

- the warning was given correctly
- not knowing the rules still doesn't mean you can breack them
- if you see other ppl getting away with the same thing you got punished for then report them, moderators are ppl to and you cannot expect them to read every line on the entire forum.

topic closed, warnings might follow for personal insults and spam in this section. i do not want insults in my section

Return to “Case Archives”