Rules for mods and users

want to publicly say something about the current Forum Mods? The Mod setup? The Rules of the Forum? here you go...
killtacular
Forum Addict

Re: Rules for mods and users

Zeratul wrote:tetris is quite correct there... adminJason is not involved in forum management aside from server side stuff, and extreme cases... or when asked by an admin or such...

its been tried for years to have him join the community more but has yet to work fully...

Why are the rules private?
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

killtacular wrote:
Zeratul wrote:tetris is quite correct there... adminJason is not involved in forum management aside from server side stuff, and extreme cases... or when asked by an admin or such...

its been tried for years to have him join the community more but has yet to work fully...

Why are the rules private?

Most likely because if they are public it would make it easier for people to pick at mods and find loop holes.

But tbh, I don't remember seeing any "rules". :-k
Image ImageImageImage
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

clarkey said part of it... and the rules are neither of use, nor of interest to the public...

if there's some action you are unsure, ask the mod, another mod, GM or an admin... (preferably in that order)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
killtacular
Forum Addict

Tetrismonkey wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
Tetrismonkey wrote:Excuse me Kill, but when it comes to these forums, Baszy, Zera and Eärendil are the Admins. Jason has delegated his athority to them to run the forums the best way they can.

Jason is only ever involved in forums matters when it actually needs to be. Such as most recently, the Clarkey Incident, the Sexual Images Incident. How can he approve or make policy for these forums when he is never here to get the context of it?

As I said, The 3 admins are the ruling party that make the discisions on these boards, not Jason. I suggest you understand this fully before continuing.

There's plenty of examples you can use, now stop **Filtered** bringing up the past every opprtunity you get!

Stop being a little **Filtered** and thinking everything is about you **Filtered** **Filtered**. I gave the most 2 recent examples, so **Filtered** off.

Now, the "rules" are private probably just for the reasons of mods being abused more than they are now.

I think we have the right to ask for a review of you as a mod I wonder if anyone has asked for that.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Tetrismonkey wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
Tetrismonkey wrote:Excuse me Kill, but when it comes to these forums, Baszy, Zera and Eärendil are the Admins. Jason has delegated his athority to them to run the forums the best way they can.

Jason is only ever involved in forums matters when it actually needs to be. Such as most recently, the Clarkey Incident, the Sexual Images Incident. How can he approve or make policy for these forums when he is never here to get the context of it?

As I said, The 3 admins are the ruling party that make the discisions on these boards, not Jason. I suggest you understand this fully before continuing.

There's plenty of examples you can use, now stop **Filtered** bringing up the past every opprtunity you get!

Stop being a little **Filtered** and thinking everything is about you **Filtered** **Filtered**. I gave the most 2 recent examples, so **Filtered** off.

Now, the "rules" are private probably just for the reasons of mods being abused more than they are now.

Not exactly respectable response is it.

I'm not thinking everything is about me, but you did say my name, duh!

But I will not derail this thread.
Image ImageImageImage
killtacular
Forum Addict

Zeratul wrote:clarkey said part of it... and the rules are neither of use, nor of interest to the public...

if there's some action you are unsure, ask the mod, another mod, GM or an admin... (preferably in that order)

I know there neither of use it shows!! Especially even in this thread.

If I wasn't interested why would I of asked since Im part of the public and 2 others have taken interest in supporting whom I dont know we as being part of the public would like to know.

Oh and on clarkeys behalf he just doesn't know it

[spoiler]1) mod names will reflect their mod role. ie - Mod Of Catagory XYZ will be the name of the mod, and the role of the mod. No 'player names' will be used in modding. this fits with the role change below.
2) mod term will be fixed. after a specific amount of time, they are rotated out of the mod role they previously held, given a break, or otherwise given a change... hopefully nothing will get 'stale' with this ongoing changeup.
3) mods will mod the forum. they will NOT comment on the right/wrong of specific views, ingame actions, inforum comments directed at others, inforum comments directed at themselves, or any other specifics. In short, it is not to be their job to pass opinion.
4) mods WILL mod the forum. they can edit/delete/ban/move topics, users and posts.
5) mods will NOT need to specify reasoning behind what they do.
6) mods CAN be reported as abusing powers. This will be done to a specific 'complaint' thread, the mod in question reviewed IN ENTIRETY (ie not for a specific single action) and a decision on whether the mod stays or not, is warned, etc made. (all mod actions, including delete/edit threads, are logged and recorded...).
Again - you can request a review of THE MOD, but not a single action/decision. Abuse of this system will remove your ability to report a mod and have it reviewed.
7) at the same time as this change, mod applications are being reviewed. The 'new' roles will be filled with both existing and new mods.
8) mods are under no obligation to reveal their ingame identities. change of mods will not be announced. you are in effect dealing with the 'role' or 'position' when dealing with the moderation, and not any given specific individual (well, you are, but the individuals may change, just as roles in companies are changed...).
9) mods MAY PM what they did, or why, or post it. it is NOT a requirement, but may be done. Bear in mind that point #3 will apply, in that they are not criticising, passing judgement or personal viewpoints. they will simply state why they did what they did, IF they choose to...

I believe these changes will help to remove the 'personal conflict' at the same time removing the political 'tie' between ingame personality and forum role...
The forums are game forums, meant to help the game community. The roles of the forums were not meant to be a 'game extention' but just a way to keep the forums usable, clear and clean for the community. I hope this update helps move the role of moderator back to that goal....

admin jason.[/spoiler]
FreeSpirit
Writer of the Gamestory
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects Leader
Race: Tollan/ Jedi
ID: 1947914
Alternate name(s): Wes

I as ex mod know for a fact that there is a rules topic in the moderator section (vieuwable for admins, global mods, mods and ombudsman) That they are not vieuwable to the public is probly because of the 4 years that several users tried tearing mods apart for every action they make (wether it was correct or incorrect).

Also the rules u are looking at killtacular are the old ones when Jason made mods like General Mod I, Global Mod IV u name it. Theres a newer version
2008 award
Quotes & Stats
Noobert wrote:You encounter a Wild FreeSpirit. You flee.
Drahazar wrote:woop freespirit getting things done, forceful yet kind, the perfect lover ...
GoAG of the Tolah - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK
deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

killtacular wrote:
Tetrismonkey wrote:Yes, the Ombudsman has access to the rules just as all of us do.
If you cannot think to seperate a users tone and a mods tone, then you need to bugger off. Im sorry, but Mods are still users. When handling cases, discusions about there actions or when they speak as a mod, sure they should be held to a higher standard. However, if a Mod speaking as a user wants to vent off steam like everyone else does, they shoiuld beable to do so without feeling as though they are being judged for that.
Im sorry kill, but your going a bit to far with your arguments when you say mods need to act respectful all the time, even as users.

This wasn't about you . Example I put up wasn't even about respect. The example I used was Deni and the other mod what ever name they decide to use. Helps to read my post. These rules should have come from jason himself , and him saying they are there and being adhered to is fine by me. He should have say if the rules need to be seen publically or not. Im just curious if there being followed is all.

errr ... What about me and universe?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
killtacular
Forum Addict

deni wrote:
killtacular wrote:
Tetrismonkey wrote:Yes, the Ombudsman has access to the rules just as all of us do.
If you cannot think to seperate a users tone and a mods tone, then you need to bugger off. Im sorry, but Mods are still users. When handling cases, discusions about there actions or when they speak as a mod, sure they should be held to a higher standard. However, if a Mod speaking as a user wants to vent off steam like everyone else does, they shoiuld beable to do so without feeling as though they are being judged for that.
Im sorry kill, but your going a bit to far with your arguments when you say mods need to act respectful all the time, even as users.

This wasn't about you . Example I put up wasn't even about respect. The example I used was Deni and the other mod what ever name they decide to use. Helps to read my post. These rules should have come from jason himself , and him saying they are there and being adhered to is fine by me. He should have say if the rules need to be seen publically or not. Im just curious if there being followed is all.

errr ... What about me and universe?

I dont have a problem with any mods, I would like the admins to look at one and review the moderators history in post and the way the mod acts as a mod. I was wondering since no one tells me who polices the moderators when there is a problem.

I just want to know is there a policy in place and is it being used and followed. Thats all I want to know cause if it is I think your admins need to look at some things in there guidelines.
I dont like being treated like a child and taunted by an admin about it either . Im asking and trying to get a better understanding on how things work around here . Your here as a team to help the community and you wonder why people nit pick everything you do. Look in the mirror you will see why.

If it wasn't for this game there wouldn't be this forum so get a clue.
Lord Yojimbo
Forum Elite
Alliance: Retired
Race: Retired

:-k

Give me a mod position and ill gladly make things quite clear to all :P and gladly argue the points as well. Still "stick it to the man" as Jack O Neill said - its a human trait to do as such but it shouldnt be acceptable generally without foundation and also it shouldnt be accepted as a reason not to post rules (theres always asses who do this but I am sure most would actually respect such a move) - I do accept that mods have a difficult time being imparital and respectable but they do it - All we want it to have a reference point and if deemed necessary - The ability to have foundation to our point of arguement if it is necessary

Still I think Open View to the Rules would be good also:

- to see how things are run
- to reference it if there is a dispute, it also means that users can then have no reason or foundation in relation to some issues if already outlined publicly
- to also get feedback from players about possible loopholes since the only real way to find and fix loopholes is to put rules out there to the test
- to harbour a repectable level of transperancy so that all can see how things are run and critize or praise it accordingly after all critizism can improve things
- and finally: It allows for open and healthy debate from all. Also it would give us non-mods an insight of whats necessary to become one if we want to persue that :razz:

:-k
Awards :smt106

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Rienna
Really Rienna :p
Alliance: T I T α N S
Race: Tollen
ID: 91926
Alternate name(s): La Reine Du Chaos

killtacular wrote:I dont have a problem with any mods, I would like the admins to look at one and review the moderators history in post and the way the mod acts as a mod. I was wondering since no one tells me who polices the moderators when there is a problem.

I just want to know is there a policy in place and is it being used and followed. Thats all I want to know cause if it is I think your admins need to look at some things in there guidelines.
I dont like being treated like a child and taunted by an admin about it either . Im asking and trying to get a better understanding on how things work around here . Your here as a team to help the community and you wonder why people nit pick everything you do. Look in the mirror you will see why.

If it wasn't for this game there wouldn't be this forum so get a clue.

There is a couple of threads in the moderator section that lay out the rules for new moderators coming into their positions. They are also watched and taught by their particular GM (section head) in their early days of modding. They are encouraged to ask (through msn, pm, or a topic in the mod section) on anything they need help making judgements on. Any situation or topic that seems like it's gotten into iffy waters tends to spark a mod/admin discussion.

There are guidelines. When a mod fails to follow them, the resulting consequences depends on who catches it. If it's a mod or an admin who catches it, it gets dealt with privately. Too many bad calls can and does lead to them being fired. When a user catches it, the user usually goes to one of the admins or the oms to get it fixed. For a mod to actually get fired, it goes to Baz, Zer, and Ear to make the final decisions.

If you have a mod that you would like reviewed, for whatever reason, I would speak to an admin first. Reviews are easier to do when the whole forums isn't witch hunting, and an Oms can't make the final decision on firing anyways.

I hope that clears things up, Kill.
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

the actual list of "guidelines" from Jason himself, is in the original "mod forums" which is now the "supermod forums" so is fact not in the basic mod's area. however, as Rienna already said, the section heads are supposed to train their newbies in the mod "rules", and all section heads are supermods, so they should know them.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Psi Kiya Trist wrote:the actual list of "guidelines" from Jason himself, is in the original "mod forums" which is now the "supermod forums" so is fact not in the basic mod's area. however, as Rienna already said, the section heads are supposed to train their newbies in the mod "rules", and all section heads are supermods, so they should know them.

also, guideline 1 and 10 is "Be Polite", so i do agree that we should be respectful at all times, not just when we're mods, but i'm not in charge of the mod team anymore, so meh.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate

Psi Kiya Trist wrote:also, guideline 1 and 10 is "Be Polite", so i do agree that we should be respectful at all times, not just when we're mods, but i'm not in charge of the mod team anymore, so meh.

actually, look what i found in the rules:
Members of the SGW community are required to speak courteously to others.

as mods, GMs and admins are still members of the community, thy are also requird to speak courtously to others, wheather modding or not.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

SuperSaiyan wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:actually, look what i found in the rules:
Members of the SGW community are required to speak courteously to others.

as mods, GMs and admins are still members of the community, thy are also requird to speak courtously to others, wheather modding or not.

that does not only apply to staff... [-X
Rearranged word order to clear up a potential misinterpretation.

Return to “Forum & Mod Feedback”