For the discussion of sports. Moo?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Football and women

I wouldn't generalize (Juliette is a good counter example to this), but I'm curious why do women are often considered to not like football and often have barely no interest in it?

*Waves* for all women around the world who appreciate football btw. ;) :smt023
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
facepie
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Magnificents
Race: Magnificents
ID: 10526

Re: Football and women

The Matildas (Australian Women) won the Asian cup for us a week or so ago :razz:
.:VOID:. wrote:
facepie wrote:ahh the good ol days *day dreams*
you used to love killing clones of mine, yet theres no "oh hi soulless... how are you?" :x
~soul
Facepie - 10526
You can't Eat the Pie without the Face
Morbid Angel
Forum Newbie
ID: 0

I'm a guy and don't really care for football, I'll watch it once in awhile. I'd rather watch Rugby, Australian rules football, soccer or something with less stringent rules.

Cheerleaders are the best reason to watch football i'd say :smt047
facepie
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Magnificents
Race: Magnificents
ID: 10526

:lol: Aussie Rules FTW!
.:VOID:. wrote:
facepie wrote:ahh the good ol days *day dreams*
you used to love killing clones of mine, yet theres no "oh hi soulless... how are you?" :x
~soul
Facepie - 10526
You can't Eat the Pie without the Face
solmyr
Forum Elite
Alliance: Faded Empire
Race: Masstastic
ID: 94442
Alternate name(s): Thurisaz, Dance Commander

Morbid Angel wrote:I'm a guy and don't really care for football, I'll watch it once in awhile. I'd rather watch Rugby, Australian rules football, soccer or something with less stringent rules.

erm what?

AFL FTW. SOCCER FT(UBER)W

and go the matildas!
TRADED WITH ME??? Lemme Know how it went!!
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=154179
8 Multi's reported and banned
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

Morbid Angel wrote:I'm a guy and don't really care for football, I'll watch it once in awhile. I'd rather watch Rugby, Australian rules football, soccer or something with less stringent rules.

Considering it was Jimmy Jim Jim that started this thread I'd assume it refers to football as soccer not as the lame American rugby with padding :lol:

I have a good friend who loves Football, she probably watches more then me.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Dmonix wrote:

Considering it was Jimmy Jim Jim that started this thread I'd assume it refers to football as soccer not as the lame American rugby with padding :lol:

I have a good friend who loves Football, she probably watches more then me.
Indeed. Oh, you weren't talking about me? :o *sad face*

:-s
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Yes as Dmonix said, I was talking about soccer, with its great names like Ronaldiño, Van Persie, Henry, Eto'o, Fabregas, Beckham, C. Ronaldo, Drogba, Ballack...

And Jo no worries you are a good friend and you maybe watch more football than me. ;)
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

I was complimenting Jo about her interest in football only yesterday, how peculiar. She pointed something out quite rightly about partners taking the sport on because of their boyfriend's interest. Plenty of women do this, and in many cases simply to please their partner although there are those that genuinely get into football because of the increased exposure they have had as a result of said partner.

Ladies football is becoming ever popular as is the quality of play in ladies leagues, although there is still a huge and unavoidable gap between them and the men's in most places in the world and particularly with places that have reputable and famous leagues such as England and Spain.

I would say that it is all down to how young girls are educated at schools. There has been a greater encouragement for them to play football at schools from a young age where as little as twenty or thirty years ago it was completely unheard of and they were expected to play netball or rounders (or other equally uninspiring and fruitless sports - no offence).

I think it's a wonderful thing for girls to be interested in football. During my time with my ex-girlfriend, I genuinely enjoyed taking her to games and I believe she genuinely enjoyed being there with me.
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

It's cool thing women get interested into football, this sport being popular among men, it can be a great subject of discussing and removes the prejudices that men and women don't really have same interests. And I watched women football matches on tv, I cannot say they don't do well, that would be lieing!

Football unites people, that's a well known thing.

Well, I myself complimented her a while ago about it, because it's important to precise that interest given by women into this sport is something welcomed by men, despite idiots who claim that women who are talking football don't know stuff and only men can know. Those people are idiots. Women can bring an interesting alternative point of view in football analysis.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

Legendary Jimster wrote:I wouldn't generalize (Juliette is a good counter example to this), but I'm curious why do women are often considered to not like football and often have barely no interest in it?

*Waves* for all women around the world who appreciate football btw. ;) :smt023

I am not a major Football (soccer) fan, in general. This probably has to do more with the fact that Americans are not a big Soccer/Football country. But it also has to do with the fact that they do not air matches on standard television channels; you have to have multiple ESPN in order to catch any of the games, and some of us do not have that luxury. Another reason why I probably don't follow the sport is because I prefer seeing any sport live, and professional Football is not one of those sports that is readily accessible.

Women, in general, are not big on sports unless they used to play that particular sport; which is probably similar to men, but since more men play sports than women, it would make sense that more men watch/follow sports than women.

I have not played every sport, but I have done most of them. This, coupled with the exposure to other sports means that I follow nearly every major sport that is aired on television or played nearby. Hockey (NHL and AHL), Basketball (NBA and NCAA), American Football (NFL and NCAA), Baseball (MLB), Softball (NPF and NCAA), and I even know most of the major Golf stars and NASCAR drivers simply due to being stuck watching (what I consider to be) the two most boring professional sports in the world.

Sports FTW.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Quina Quen
Forum Addict

The problem with soccer in the USA is that it's not a commercially viable platform. You can't go five minutes watching an American football game without seeing a commercial, and with soccer you need two 45 minute segments. Broadcasters in the UK have been absolutely slated for going over live time with commercials, even as recent as England VS USA where the broadcast on ITV HD went over Gerrard's opening goal. There was fury.
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

Yeah I believe getting air time in England is difficult last I heard South Africa had better coverage of British leagues then English channels.

I know we get every premier league game broadcast over 2 or 3 channels if there are 2 or 3 matches at the same time then we also get some coverage of the Coca-cola champions league :-D

Hence why I know a few women who watch more footie then me, I try keep up with my team they just watch the games.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
Quina Quen
Forum Addict

Coca Cola Champions League! :-D That made me giggle.

It will be the N-Power Championship for next season after they changed the sponsors. Still a great league whoever sponsors it. You just never know who will get promoted to the 'Promised Land'.

I find it amazing how different nations across the world can see more football than we do for absolutely nothing. Here you have to suffer the subscriptions of Sky and ESPN for the privilege! My girlfriend is paying nearly £80 a month for her Sky package. Absolute extortion if you ask me. I'm happy sticking with Freeview.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Diamond Dust wrote:Coca Cola Champions League! :-D That made me giggle.

It will be the N-Power Championship for next season after they changed the sponsors. Still a great league whoever sponsors it. You just never know who will get promoted to the 'Promised Land'.

I find it amazing how different nations across the world can see more football than we do for absolutely nothing. Here you have to suffer the subscriptions of Sky and ESPN for the privilege! My girlfriend is paying nearly £80 a month for her Sky package. Absolute extortion if you ask me. I'm happy sticking with Freeview.

Same in France, league 1 & 2 aren't free, cable €€ channels needed.
However whole world cup on both free and paying channels (all matches on both free & paying channels).
Spoiler

Spoiler

Return to “Sports Section”