Mods and Admin having a "Time Period"

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

Mods and Admin having a "Time Period"

This seemed the best planned out and written!
[spoiler]
Semper wrote:Well. Problems with admins is accountability... jason doesn't care. Ombudsman is powerless so who do they answer to? What makes them better than us that they should be beyond reproach? Nothing. Ideally Jason should run the forums himself... he has no alliegence and actually should be/is beyond reproach being for all intents and purposes God of the game.

I know how to sort the forums out.

Remove all Global mods and admins.
Re-elect Admins from three categories in different ways. Let Admins choose GM's.

First Cat: Veteran. This is someone who is a veteran forum user and has the account date to prove it (it can't be faked or debated). Veteran forum users know the community, know the forum history and if elected will be popular with the users who use the forums. This should be the user admin who deals with complaints and the forum users.

Second Cat: The Guide. Second admin should be elected from the last three admins by the former forum team (excluding admins). This should be the only way for an admin to be reelected. This admin should deal with teaching the other admins and should have absolutely no power in deciding forum team members fate.

Third Cat: Should be voted in by the forum team, old admins and users from the forum team. This should be the admin reponsible for internal affairs and hiring new mods/dealing with mod v mod disputes. Should be done publically. Users vote = vale of 50%. Admins vote = value of 25% and forum team value of 25%. This means prevents calculated voting from the forum team.

After the admins have been put in place then they should be allowed to bring a GM team of their choosing to the board. I would personally say 2 GM's per admin as an ideal number, otherwise one per admin and have 2 or so chosen by the others.

Leave blue mods in place and don't forget to rinse and repeat once a year!
[/spoiler]

Not just him but many users have posted that they think there should be a time period on mod's/admin... It's something I do agree with so I figured I'd post here since this is where we are supposed to post ideas xD

Personally I feel that we should have admin/mod's changed and or altered at least once a year not necissarily to be taken completely off the staff list, but at least be switched around please discuss!
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Re: Mods and Admin having a "Time Period"

I will just quote myself ...

E.M.P. wrote:Okay, my post is just gonna seem like a pile of crap but I'm gonna post anyways. It will seem like I'm just trying to keep my job or "hold on to power" or whatever (even though that's human nature anyways). If I may just speak about myself though I don't do this for the "power" it's just something I enjoy doing, and it consumes my time, something I have in large supplies.

Why remove Global Mods too? I thought Admins were the ones who are above reproach. Global Mods have to answer to the Admins.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

I would like to agree sometimes with this but I have to disagree..at times when a team gives us what we want we think their just the absolute best..and when they dont we want a change..however I do think that if a team is doing a good consistent job they ought to be left alone because good teamwork is developed over time, now while I have thrown a my own fits and had my own "noob" moments and been rivals against some of the ones on staff currently, I do have to admit that the admin team does a pretty good job overall. Some of the mods have issues but meh, who doesnt ;)

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

I asked in the other thread, so I will ask here.

Who has the experience in handling forum matters to be promoted to Admin? Let alone Global Moderators. Very few Moderators are ready to step forward for the Global position, let alone Adminship in my opinion. This is why I am asking this question.

Or do you intend to pick Admins/Globals from players of this community? If so, I would also like for you to show me people with the experience and willingness to step forward and do a good job for the benefit of this forum, and not themselves.
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

I believe the Admin team should be answerable to someone... Baszy for example does a sterling job in a way a Admin should.. behind the scenes without feeling the need to mod as well.

I'd like more power given to Ombusman, hiring someone outside of game would be a good idea and giving them power to enforce their recommendations...

Many mods do a fabulous job, (Souless and SS are 2 of the extraordinary ones) there are a few however that let personal and ingame biases effect them (yes, I know they are only human).
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

while he rarely goes onto the forums, we admins answer to Jason. every now and then there is something Jason wants implemented on the forums, and we admins have to implement and enforce it, whether we like the thing or not...

we also update him on forum situation every now and then, depending on when we can get hold of him...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

[spoiler]
RoKeT wrote:This seemed the best planned out and written!
[spoiler]
Semper wrote:Well. Problems with admins is accountability... jason doesn't care. Ombudsman is powerless so who do they answer to? What makes them better than us that they should be beyond reproach? Nothing. Ideally Jason should run the forums himself... he has no alliegence and actually should be/is beyond reproach being for all intents and purposes God of the game.

I know how to sort the forums out.

Remove all Global mods and admins.
Re-elect Admins from three categories in different ways. Let Admins choose GM's.

First Cat: Veteran. This is someone who is a veteran forum user and has the account date to prove it (it can't be faked or debated). Veteran forum users know the community, know the forum history and if elected will be popular with the users who use the forums. This should be the user admin who deals with complaints and the forum users.

Second Cat: The Guide. Second admin should be elected from the last three admins by the former forum team (excluding admins). This should be the only way for an admin to be reelected. This admin should deal with teaching the other admins and should have absolutely no power in deciding forum team members fate.

Third Cat: Should be voted in by the forum team, old admins and users from the forum team. This should be the admin reponsible for internal affairs and hiring new mods/dealing with mod v mod disputes. Should be done publically. Users vote = vale of 50%. Admins vote = value of 25% and forum team value of 25%. This means prevents calculated voting from the forum team.

After the admins have been put in place then they should be allowed to bring a GM team of their choosing to the board. I would personally say 2 GM's per admin as an ideal number, otherwise one per admin and have 2 or so chosen by the others.

Leave blue mods in place and don't forget to rinse and repeat once a year!

Not just him but many users have posted that they think there should be a time period on mod's/admin... It's something I do agree with so I figured I'd post here since this is where we are supposed to post ideas xD

Personally I feel that we should have admin/mod's changed and or altered at least once a year not necissarily to be taken completely off the staff list, but at least be switched around please discuss!
[/spoiler]
And have yet "another" popularity contest... great idea! =D>

The only way this can be done is Jason bring in new blood not related to the game, the only downside to that is lack of game knowledge. But it would remove the bias and corrupt accusations.

Semper has always had another agenda, we all know that, this is just his attempt to remove those in position. Don't be his puppet RoKeT.
Image ImageImageImage
BMMJ13
Lord of Winterfell
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Tollan
ID: 89633

Honours and Awards

Clarkey wrote:The only way this can be done is Jason bring in new blood not related to the game, the only downside to that is lack of game knowledge. But it would remove the bias and corrupt accusations.

Will it now? I imagine at least 90% of those who accuse of bias are just baseless accusations, and has no meaning on if you are in the game or not. I've been called bias by those who are my enemy, I've been called it by those who are my allies. I've even been called bias towards another enemy by an enemy. I imagine many of those who don't play are still called bias even though they have no current or recent ties or affiliations in game. Some people just like to blame others for their own failure to follow rules and often just use the cry of bias as a cover all when they aren't happy, which only resorts to nearly all accusations of bias being cast under the same light, creating a boy who cried wolf effect should there ever be a time when those who say so wish to be taken seriously.
Mar 18, 14:52 General Zeus Sabotage Repelled 104,724,369 details
Spoiler
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

BMMJ13 wrote:
Clarkey wrote:The only way this can be done is Jason bring in new blood not related to the game, the only downside to that is lack of game knowledge. But it would remove the bias and corrupt accusations.

Will it now? I imagine at least 90% of those who accuse of bias are just baseless accusations, and has no meaning on if you are in the game or not. I've been called bias by those who are my enemy, I've been called it by those who are my allies. I've even been called bias towards another enemy by an enemy. I imagine many of those who don't play are still called bias even though they have no current or recent ties or affiliations in game. Some people just like to blame others for their own failure to follow rules and often just use the cry of bias as a cover all when they aren't happy, which only resorts to nearly all accusations of bias being cast under the same light, creating a boy who cried wolf effect should there ever be a time when those who say so wish to be taken seriously.

Most people that cry bias through baseless accusations often try and "use" something such as something related to ingame, or an experience with them on the forums, or their friendships with certain others. Maybe an outside team wouldn't wipe out all bias claims but it would considerably reduce the sound of that word around these here parts.

Still, staff should have knowledge of the game as this is what the forum is about.
Image ImageImageImage
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Clarkey wrote:Semper has always had another agenda, we all know that, this is just his attempt to remove those in position. Don't be his puppet RoKeT.

Oh stop you.... you'll make me blush. However... for once... I don't just have another agenda. I do genuinely believe a set of rules like this has long been needed.

@ Noobert. Well the point would arise that just because you don't see anyone capable doesn't mean there isn't. ;)

@ Empy. I answered you in the other thread.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

Semper wrote:@ Noobert. Well the point would arise that just because you don't see anyone capable doesn't mean there isn't. ;)

I never meant it in a way such as that, but it doesn't mean that what I spoke wasn't true. Who would you promote to such roles? Very few could fill those roles, public or Moderator wise. There may be individuals who will do a good job, but they will not have a blatant clue as to what to do unless they learn over time and without that time due to the "time period" as it will just cause fights in the Moderator forum and from the users, as well as probably making some Moderators get lazy in their modding because "I'm going to be removed anyways, why bother?"

I am still asking for anyone to post individuals whom they think would be capable in the roles of a GM or Admin from the Moderator staff or forum community.
Cole
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Legendary Apophis, Apophis The Great, Legendary

My opinion on the matter would be that the ones deemed skilled to become the admin chosen by users/team (the one for internal affairs) would likely be a former staff member. Whether it's former by a year or four, I think it's unlikely a person who have had no staff experience in this forum can be promoted straight to admin. Yes people use other forums and can be admins/mods whatever there, but I still believe that forums don't work the same (I think it was Noobert who said that in the other thread) and a pack of rules used in a forum would be deemed too harsh/too soft in another, let alone the regular daily work an admin should provide. The idea has its merits, but the fact is, I don't think it would be good to parachute in (even though there it would be elected so it would be people choice, and therefore their good -or bad- choice) a person who haven't been yet part of the staff here even though having experience of moderating/ruling other fora.

I am curious about something, what IF the 'new' admin team deem the former GMs to be worthy of their role and bring them back? Wouldn't it be a bit odd to be removed to be reinstalled a bit later? Sure, it might happen otherwise, but I'm likely to believe the GMs wouldn't be chosen out of simple users (there it would be full parachute in as it would be the admins choosing GMs out of users, like when politicians are parachuted in a county/region role where they have little experience in spite of their political experience in their former location - equaling other fora for parachuted GMs if they were to have experience outside of this community). GMs would be either former staff members or current.
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

Good idea, but you would need to track down those members of the forum staff and then you would have to ask them if they are interested or not which can take quite sometime.

Personally, that idea has it's merits but the one problem I would have with it is that Moderator's having the ability to be reelected again just holds no meaning because it is exactly like the current process as of now because they will just be chosen again sooner or later due to the inexperience of other players not willing to take on the role of Moderator to begin with. Just an observation. :shock:

And if the Blue Moderators are allowed to stay as Moderators, more Globals will wish to be Moderator rather than GMs. The same could probably be said for the Administrators.
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

I disagree with the notion someone outside the game should be brought in, this should be done by people that play the game. Im curious as to who put Roket up to this, do tell Roket. :-k

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
renegadze
Forum Elite

Noobert wrote:
Semper wrote:@ Noobert. Well the point would arise that just because you don't see anyone capable doesn't mean there isn't. ;)

I never meant it in a way such as that, but it doesn't mean that what I spoke wasn't true. Who would you promote to such roles? Very few could fill those roles, public or Moderator wise. There may be individuals who will do a good job, but they will not have a blatant clue as to what to do unless they learn over time and without that time due to the "time period" as it will just cause fights in the Moderator forum and from the users, as well as probably making some Moderators get lazy in their modding because "I'm going to be removed anyways, why bother?"

I am still asking for anyone to post individuals whom they think would be capable in the roles of a GM or Admin from the Moderator staff or forum community.

Please, you're making out Moderating a forum is rocket science. Give a bunch of people a list of rules, have a review process in place to ensure they are enforcing the rules (and no more)....and voila you have a mod team.

I have modded and administered on more forums then I care to remember, I've even created well over 30/40. I have no illusion that my undertaking was pretty straight forward.
Spoiler
ImageImageImage

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”