Text speak.

[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Text speak.

This kinda popped into my head about 30 seconds ago and thought it would make a good light-hearted discussion.

Anyways, i HATE with a passion text speak (or whatever u want 2 call it). i've often heard on tv, radio and have read in papers that the English language is getting smaller and smaller year on year, and the art of conversation using full and proper words is also degrading year on year, especially amongst youngsters and text speak is partly to blame for this.

So, what do you think of text speak, like, it or loath it??

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Text speak.

I forcefully detest it. Any use I make of it is to illustrate the idiocy of the person I address, oft in a mocking version of a potential remark they would make.
For instance: "OMG 10 downing is TEH bomz." Not only is the statement itself a ludicrous notion, phrasing it the way I did, the one making the remark is obviously someone severely lacking eloquence and, potentially, intellect.

I think you get the idea. ;)
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

SMS/text wording shall remain in SMS/text. However, speaking as you write a SMS/text, or writing it in your school work or anything paper-based, or using it on any forums, comments about news/articles or even use in IM *really* annoys me!
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

I used English as it's my 1st language, but of course this applies to all languages which i should have stated :-)

-David Icke
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

[KMA]Avenger wrote:I used English as it's my 1st language, but of course this applies to all languages which i should have stated :-)

Obviously, when I said what I said, it applied for every language too, even those which I don't understand.

For example:

"Wai dun u let us talk as wee wish? OMG datz l33t wen u r actin as a gramar nazi cuz its not ur problm if i speak not liek a bledy academic!"
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan
ID: 0

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Thel
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~Cloud Village~
ID: 1946016

Im the only person I know that write out texts long hand, I just hate all that numbers for letters stuff! ](*,)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.
War....war never changes.
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

I have always written texts full form. People with horribly bad grammar or ridiculous text speak usually get made fun of by me. Even my girlfriend wasn't safe. I have been known to on ocassion, as a joke "talk liek diz" but it can't last more than 2 minutes or i'll want to shoot myself in the head.

So yeah.. hate it.

As far as your statistic goes.. I should really hope that it isn't true. I'd assume there are enough intelligent people out there to keep the English language from shrinking due to something so silly.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Z E R O wrote:As far as your statistic goes.. I should really hope that it isn't true. I'd assume there are enough intelligent people out there to keep the English language from shrinking due to something so silly.

According to the TV, radio and papers, it's unfortunately true...

I'll try and find some articles about it.

Edit: there's this article from the BBC with some interesting comments: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2815461.stm

I'll try and find some more 2row...i mean tomorrow #-o

-David Icke
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

There are studies showing that use of txt speak actually improves one's creativity and English skills. That the popular belief that it is causing smaller vocabularies is bull.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

There are studies showing that Down's Syndrome is not genetic.. :roll:
In short, there are bull **Filtered** studies all across the world. One or two don't make much of an impression. :twisted:
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

I have studies to back my position. Looks like all you have is aggression and inflammatory comments.

Care to try again?

In the mean time, I'll go ahead and leave this here.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... h-lol.html
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Juliette wrote:There are studies showing that Down's Syndrome is not genetic.. :roll:
In short, there are bull **Filtered** studies all across the world. One or two don't make much of an impression. :twisted:

+1

Even though personally when I used a lot the SMS style I didn't really have issues to write properly (however now that I use it less, I write better than I did), I noticed both in my high school/university days and on forums of both English and French language, that the amount of poor quality language from native speakers, tend to be rather abundant, with characteristics of SMS language/leetspeak. So maybe people are doing great carefulness on exams, but rest of time they seem to have a more or less poor use of language.

SMS style can only be excused/justified in examples KF provided. Otherwise...I say nope.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

I hate it. I can read it and I can understand its purpose and use, but I hate it. I find it even more irritating when the text is extremely short (say...four words long) and not a single one of them has been spelled out completely. You aren't charged by the character; you are charged by the message. ](*,)
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

Thel wrote:Im the only person I know that write out texts long hand, I just hate all that numbers for letters stuff! ](*,)

Now you know someone else Thel, even if it does take us 6 SMS pages. ;)

Text 'speak' deserves to be banned. People need to stop being lazy, turn on T9 and learn to spell.

It really makes me laugh when you see words that are supposed to be abbreviated in text speech that are exactly the same length as their correctly spelled equivalents.

And George! Holy freakin' cow me old cockney mucker!
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”