Marriage

jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re: Marriage

xDaku wrote:If homosexuality was unnatural, then someone explain to me what those "imbalanced" chemicals are in our body, man-made? :-k

There's a very simple solution to all this, create a separate words for a homosexual 'marriage' with the same legal rights as a 'regular' married couple. Tada.

Creating a new word to justify or condem is not the answer..we see that from science all of the time..

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
Psyko
The Irresistible

xDaku wrote:Taking your example of the christian gay couple, that also becomes a matter of the church. Imagine if the state did give the exact same footing to both heterosexuals and homosexuals. The outcry from the church itself - not christians in the country - would be loud.

The church might and most likely would pronounce the american marriage a sin. Then we come to a point where no one's happy.

Now, while I did not know about the apparent differences - legally - that could exist between a civil union and a marriage, a separate word altogether (with the same rights) would atleast solve a part of the issue.

My whole point is, in the States, it should be federal. An outcry from christian gays, well, that sounds more like a Church issue to me.

The legal differences vary from state-to-state. Some states don't even have Civil Unions, and those that do have different rights and benefits from other states. Federally, only a marriage can give you any federal benefits, such as social security, survivorship benefits, any recognition as the spouse of military personnel, joint tax filing, etc.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Julietta Putina wrote:I am so sad that no one saw my Civil War joke. :(

Ah, that answers my curiosity about what you meant! :P
Silly me... #-o
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

I did, and I lul'd
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

I knew what you meant.

Heres a kiss ...dont feel sad no more. :-)

:smt058
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.
xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Jedi~Tank wrote:
xDaku wrote:If homosexuality was unnatural, then someone explain to me what those "imbalanced" chemicals are in our body, man-made? :-k

There's a very simple solution to all this, create a separate words for a homosexual 'marriage' with the same legal rights as a 'regular' married couple. Tada.

Creating a new word to justify or condem is not the answer..we see that from science all of the time..

It is the answer to the religious aspect of it. The other big argument - kids - well...with a little bit of a laugh and keeping in mind the simpleness of the arguments provided so far...

http://youtu.be/nWaiWcUlZTQ

http://bit.ly/beIGI3

Not exactly the best sources to cite, but in the humor of all this... :-D
Spoiler
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
Spoiler
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
Spoiler
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Kit-Fox wrote:As such there is no evidence based or logical reasoning to deny the term marriage to any legally recognised coupling, if that is what they want

I disagree, obviously if we track back milleniums ago, we will find many things existed before religions appeared, but that doesn't mean the marriage as we know in the Western cultures isn't based on the union between a male and a female. It is the influence of our history, I don't see it as a "progress" to try to create controversy by turning marriage into something else than it is. It would be much less controversy and provocative if civil union was the picked choice (which is already in many countries), because people still hold values, and yes neo conformists don't like long lasting values and want to change them all in the name of "progress". Not everyone agrees with that view of things (liberals view), and it doesn't mean those like me are all ultraconservatives like Rick Santorum, we just want to keep a set of values to keep our identity and our marks, but as people can see those like me aren't narrow minded like those who reject any kind of change.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Kit-Fox wrote:Again for those that might have missed it in other places;

What we now call marriage is simply a social construct.

It has no basis in religion at all, in fact there is a fair bit of archeological evidence to show that bond pairs in humanity existed a fair way before any of the current crop of religions were even created, hell there is even evidence to show it beat the previous crop of religions too.

Now yes the evidence usually shows a bonded *mating* pair of male & female, but considering the time scale and the fragility of the human race at the time that isnt all that shocking, as the societal pressures would have been to biased towards what we now call hetreo couples.

Religion simply adopted the construct, and just like it had stolen it from what had ceom before so it was stolen from religion by the state to allow for legal recognition.

As such there is no evidence based or logical reasoning to deny the term marriage to any legally recognised coupling, if that is what they want

As true as that might be, in the case of the States, marriage does have a religious background. Religion is not something that the government or its people can just ignore, while marriage is on the table. It has a long history in the States, and as such, should be put into regard.

Marriage as a word in the states does bring up religion, so a different word would get rid of that interaction altogether - helpful for some homosexuals atleast.

Civil Union has different benefits for different sex couples as well? Fine, a new word, as federal law, for the same sexes. Give it the same power as a marriage on the basis of right, without interfering with its religious background in the country.
Spoiler
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
Spoiler
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
Spoiler
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Kit-Fox wrote:As such there is no evidence based or logical reasoning to deny the term marriage to any legally recognised coupling, if that is what they want
Try telling an etymologist that.
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

I believe that in the general sense of the word marriage is a religious ceremony and as a point blank statement homosexuals should not be allowed to be married in the general sense of the word.

I believe that it's an insult to religious people and it shouldn't be a case of tit for tat. Homosexual marriage in the eyes of the law is a different thing.. and they should be allowed the same civil rights (all but one) as a couple but the actual name, ceremony and the rest are religious things and the rights of peoples religions to practise as they want within reason (and I think restricted ceremonies is within reason) should be respected equally as the homosexuals that desire equality.

It is more about semantics than anything but in this world semantics go very far and in a situation where both parties can be satisfied by a more than reasonable middle ground I don't see the need for further debate really. Homo's get Civvy P's and Hetero's get Marrie's!

Despite it's shadowy history the term and ceremony have been long adapted by religion and religious marriage has become it's own institution with that word being cardinal representation in varying classes of language.

[spoiler]I am however strongly against homosexuals adopting children as I can see that being an avenue for psychological issues from likely, but not inevitable bullying at school, potential sexual confusion (which in itself can be psychologically and socially damaging) and unbalanced developmental role models.[/spoiler]
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

The idea that religion owns a trademark for marriage is laughable. Even if marriage was at one point in time trademarked, it would be ruled a general term and the trademark would be revoked today.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Semper wrote:I believe that in the general sense of the word marriage is a religious ceremony and as a point blank statement homosexuals should not be allowed to be married in the general sense of the word.

I believe that it's an insult to religious people and it shouldn't be a case of tit for tat. Homosexual marriage in the eyes of the law is a different thing.. and they should be allowed the same civil rights (all but one) as a couple but the actual name, ceremony and the rest are religious things and the rights of peoples religions to practise as they want within reason (and I think restricted ceremonies is within reason) should be respected equally as the homosexuals that desire equality.

It is more about semantics than anything but in this world semantics go very far and in a situation where both parties can be satisfied by a more than reasonable middle ground I don't see the need for further debate really. Homo's get Civvy P's and Hetero's get Marrie's!

Despite it's shadowy history the term and ceremony have been long adapted by religion and religious marriage has become it's own institution with that word being cardinal representation in varying classes of language.

[spoiler]I am however strongly against homosexuals adopting children as I can see that being an avenue for psychological issues from likely, but not inevitable bullying at school, potential sexual confusion (which in itself can be psychologically and socially damaging) and unbalanced developmental role models.[/spoiler]
You, sir, are a bigot. Additionally, your argument is trivial and circular.

Allowing homosexuals to adopt children will improve the welfare of those children. Of course, fat white kids should not be adopted by anyone, but rather sent to the uranium mines in the Kongo. Rather allow eighteen of mister Deepak Halalali's twenty children to die of hard labour, one to flourish in their native habitat, and one to flourish in the undeniably better environment of Steve and Adam. Uh-yeah.

There are literally hundreds of different churches in Western Christianity already. I call the Mormons to the stand, testifying in favour of polygamy. Since polygamy is similarly a 'hot topic', it stands to reason that regarding homosexuality, there is no such thing as 'christian doctrine' on the subject. The argument that the religious aspect of marriage is exclusive, is comical at best.

So yeah. Bigot. Buh-bye.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

This word "bigot" I see rising up every time this subject is brought in, looks to me to be one of those words overused at every situation, mostly wrongly, just like "racism", "communism" and "fascism".
Semper didn't sound "bigot" at all, at least to me. He didn't state that homosexuals don't have any right to get unions like a bigot would have. However, sorry to say that, but Avenger sounds to be a bigot regarding homosexuality subject. A hardcore one might I add.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:This word "bigot" I see rising up every time this subject is brought in, looks to me to be one of those words overused at every situation, mostly wrongly, just like "racism", "communism" and "fascism".
Semper didn't sound "bigot" at all, at least to me. However, sorry to say that, but Avenger sounds to be a bigot regarding homosexuality subject. A hardcore one might I add.
You seem not to understand the concept of bigotry.

Stating your intent to kill all homosexuals is absolutely the opposite of bigotry. Bigotry would be saying "oh, we are all equal" and then snort derisively while you poke fun at homosexuals for their being funny.

Indeed.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”