Alliance irc communication

What do you want to see in the game? what can be improved? any suggestions welcome here...
Drought
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Alliance irc communication

In firefox, the irc thing runs pretty good.
A solid interface.

How about is the game admin ties an irc alliance channel to a gatewars alliance, controlled by the 1ic of the alliance, who on login would become channel op.
Members could have a simple text link below:

Alliance network

The link would simply pop(tab) open and opens the alliance channel #alliancename (and others like: #gatewars, #theplace).
The channel could be optional and registered in the 1 IC alliance management page if so desired, deleted too, (or by deleted by autoinactivity) . Settings like channel topic, hidden, etc.
Upon activating it, the channel is registered on the irc server -and members from said alliance can instantly enter their alliance irc channel from the alliance network link.

Only members should have access to it automatically (a hidden hidden password set for all alliance members by the 1 ic of the alliance).
This way an alliance can choose to give the password for the channel to others, or as OP of the channel make it open to all. Up to each alliance leader.
But as a default, have it alliance only until set otherwise.

This can make irc accessibility extremely easy because an alliance leader could create and own a channel and change the password at the click of a button, without knowing how the channel registration should go on irc.
And members of the alliance can simply click and see whos online and chat.
a very bad hairdo
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Re: Alliance irc communication

It would be hard to incorporate this, alliance leaders would need to register their usernames, channel names could be incompatible (alpha and omega symbols and such) (oops I see you've defined a workaround there :P), plus a few other things. It could work, but it could be a hard task to make it semi-automated.

However, many alliance already have IRC channels set up, and are relatively easy to set up on your own as well. If any alliances wish to set up channels on IRC, they can feel free to PM me here and I can step them through it :)
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Drought
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Haz wrote:It would be hard to incorporate this, alliance leaders would need to register their usernames, channel names could be incompatible (alpha and omega symbols and such) (oops I see you've defined a workaround there :P), plus a few other things. It could work, but it could be a hard task to make it semi-automated.

However, many alliance already have IRC channels set up, and are relatively easy to set up on your own as well. If any alliances wish to set up channels on IRC, they can feel free to PM me here and I can step them through it :)

The point being here that one would need/seek assistance and members need to seek and experiment for the first time and having a simple link that brings you straight to your protected alliance channel without hassle, -makes it dozens time more user friendly.
The usernames in the alliance should get registered automatically upon channel activation by the 1iC.

Perhaps have a button next to the users names in the alliance manage page to register them.
After which the link works the same as the "to ascended" link, '" To the Alliance network".
If there is need for it, I can likely provide pieces of the PHP code to have have server A communicate IRC commands to the IRC server for various tasks. But I would guess that if the IRC server has an MySql backend you could simply allow access from the gatewars server for some external commands, allowing direct input to the IRC database. (insert channels, names etc)

The main idea is that people dont have to ask around and keep it super easy/user friendly, or, even though as much lovely as you are Haz, not everybody wants to talk to you :smt050 ya warn-o-holic.

Anyway, I have quite some experience in PHP and IRC bots/channels, so if you guys want something like this implemented but are unable to get a working approach, hit me up :)
a very bad hairdo
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Duck Dodgers wrote:
Haz wrote:It would be hard to incorporate this, alliance leaders would need to register their usernames, channel names could be incompatible (alpha and omega symbols and such) (oops I see you've defined a workaround there :P), plus a few other things. It could work, but it could be a hard task to make it semi-automated.

The point being here that one would need/seek assistance and members need to seek and experiment for the first time and having a simple link that brings you straight to your protected alliance channel without hassle, -makes it dozens time more user friendly.
The usernames in the alliance should get registered automatically upon channel activation by the 1iC.

This would require a preset password to be given for when the username is registered. This is already partly done with the "chat password" option within the game, so could be repurposed to act as the password option for the channel.

Duck Dodgers wrote:Perhaps have a button next to the users names in the alliance manage page to register them.
After which the link works the same as the "to ascended" link, '" To the Alliance network".
If there is need for it, I can likely provide pieces of the PHP code to have have server A communicate IRC commands to the IRC server for various tasks. But I would guess that if the IRC server has an MySql backend you could simply allow access from the gatewars server for some external commands, allowing direct input to the IRC database. (insert channels, names etc)

I think the nickserv and chanserv are not MySQL databases, so perhaps not. I'll look into that a bit more.

Duck Dodgers wrote:The main idea is that people dont have to ask around and keep it super easy/user friendly, or, even though as much lovely as you are Haz, not everybody wants to talk to you :smt050 ya warn-o-holic.

If they want the help badly enough, they'll get over not wanting to talk to me. I'm polite as long as the other user is polite to me :) And let's not bring my modding into this. There's a topic for that :P

I could even make a tutorial post on how to do some commands for IRC (I think one already exists).

Duck Dodgers wrote:Anyway, I have quite some experience in PHP and IRC bots/channels, so if you guys want something like this implemented but are unable to get a working approach, hit me up :)

If admin agrees to it, we could possibly work together to get this set up. I'd probably need to talk to Paul (IRC Admin) to organise things too.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Bromas
Forum Addict
ID: 97472
Alternate name(s): ~HydroFlux™~, Reinhardt

The IRC we use isn't owned by J or the kingdom games admin, which makes it unreliable
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Andy! wrote:The IRC we use isn't owned by J or the kingdom games admin, which makes it unreliable
The ATM system is not owned by your bank. Does that make it unreliable?
Bromas
Forum Addict

I use the one thats inside my bank.

But it would be reliable, its computerized. IRC isn't reliable as its people that own and run it, it could just be shut down if whatshisface decided too
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Andy! wrote:I use the one thats inside my bank.

But it would be reliable, its computerized. IRC isn't reliable as its people that own and run it, it could just be shut down if whatshisface decided too

One of the servers is hosted by J, but he doesn't know how to run it. If he really wished to, he could possibly base it off that if things went bad with "whatshisface" :P and Andy you've been unglined for a while now, stop being so bitter towards IRC :P
Last edited by The Doctor on Wed May 16, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Bromas
Forum Addict