The Pirate Bay Blocked in the UK.

[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

The Pirate Bay Blocked in the UK.

If you run a general search you can find 100's of news articles about this.

I used to use TBP (right or wrong is an argument for another thread) to D/L certain TV shows and old films. i'm not into D/Ling music an such. i used it mainly because i refuse to pay the exuberant prices of SKY to watch a select few shows and have to sit there watching ads on top of it, i felt ripped off paying to watch ads 5 times during a 1 hour show. well, that's the why i use sites like TPB. it's not a major problem for me to not be able to get access to TPB, but what's REALLY getting my goat up is the blatant censorship, this IS the thin end of the wedge and more will follow.

At this point in time i have to ask, what's next? will the Govt start taking down sites they don't like? they already started taking down videos on YT after Govt requested them to remove them: http://www.prisonplanet.com/feds-order- ... icism.html
Megaupload is also gone by US Govt request.

Personally, i find this intrusion into freedom disgusting. thoughts please!

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Re: The Pirate Bay Blocked in the UK.

Oh Avenger, this isn't the thin wedge, this is the camel half way in the tent.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Different smell same colour **Filtered**!

-David Icke
Drought
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Taking down sites and locations has been occurring since the internet started.
New sites will appear, and new distribution methods will emerge.
a very bad hairdo
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Duck Dodgers wrote:Taking down sites and locations has been occurring since the internet started.

Agreed, it will simply be replaced by another site

On the legality & morality of taking them down........... well these sites are solely used to enable people to infringe copyrights despite claims they are intended for free exchange of non-copyrighted material, so technically there is no grounds to complain, suck it up and move on the the next one.

Never used TPB, but in the past I have used

EMule
Shareaza
Limewire
Aries Ultra

Anyone know of any others ???

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Drought
Forum Expert

MEZZANINE wrote:
Duck Dodgers wrote:Taking down sites and locations has been occurring since the internet started.

Agreed, it will simply be replaced by another site

On the legality & morality of taking them down........... well these sites are solely used to enable people to infringe copyrights despite claims they are intended for free exchange of non-copyrighted material, so technically there is no grounds to complain, suck it up and move on the the next one.

Never used TPB, but in the past I have used

EMule
Shareaza
Limewire
Aries Ultra

Anyone know of any others ???

hehe, yeah, apart from the last ... man ... I promoted napster to friends back in the days xD
How about Kazaa lite, the name eventually became that of a popular codec package :)

In relation to the topic, I'm not really surprised about the whole attempt to take certain names down, I mean, come, "The pirate Bay" while there are tons of commercials everywhere about "It being bad to pirate"

It would look like you have a car shop called "The chop shop" and actually steal cars and sell of the parts.

On any of these methods of acquiring media material, there are search results with the exact names of copyright protected material.

Its like having a jewelery, and on the display saying "Latest from the Rockefeller household" and have a thug with robbers mask behind the counter closing the sales.
a very bad hairdo
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human

Honours and Awards

cough VPN cough
Or just use a different torrent site.
Or it will just come back with a different name.
Bias Admin colour
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

The Pirate Bay is dead & has been for quite some time, ever since the original 4 folks who ran it got knobbled by their local courts.

And lets face it, they were really asking for it. They knew they had thousands of illegal torrents on the system & even made sure some of them made it to the top of search listings (oh yes the pirate bay guys are just as bad as google when it comes to fiddling around with returned search results)

Not only that their own words condemned them, they outright encouraged people to copy material they knew was protected & said they didnt care about the law. Thats asking for it in practically every country in the world.

Censorship you scream? Well yeah it may be, but then I dont see anyone screaming censorship when the police apprehend someone creating forgeries of money / goods etc, and make no mistake its basically the same damned thing.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Sadow
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~LeafVillage~
Race: Shinigami
ID: 109002

TPB is quite legal. They only link to the torrents themselves, there is no hosting of torrents. As long as you dont host such "illegal" product its perfectly fine.

Here in Canada I do not have to worry about such. Our government will not budge on the matter. If its on the Internet its fair use, as long as you do not use it for profit. Personal Use Only.
"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." - Joshua Graham
My Trade Feedback
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Kit-Fox wrote:Censorship you scream? Well yeah it may be, but then I dont see anyone screaming censorship when the police apprehend someone creating forgeries of money / goods etc, and make no mistake its basically the same damned thing.

My longing for freedom sometimes gets the better of me...but having said that, it's the same thing as freedom of speech. if you decide to call me a bubble and walk around all day screaming all kinds of racial abuse, as much as it may personally anger me, i would STILL defend your right to say it. so long as you are not calling for violence...obviously. by the same token, if you want to defend the freedom of the web you have to defend ALL of it. that does not include sites that host and promote paedophilia, snuff films, violent and extremist/terrorism activities and such.

As for TPB being dead, that's besides the point.

-David Icke
LordApophisOne
Fledgling Forumer

lol @ "Intrusion of freedoms"

It's called 'the Pirate Bay' for crying out loud xD

Here in Canada I do not have to worry about such. Our government will not budge on the matter. If its on the Internet its fair use, as long as you do not use it for profit. Personal Use Only.

Not necessarily. Remember that the US claims all jurisdiction over any website hosted on a .com or .net domain name. This is a very important point to remember when talking about matters of piracy and international law.

Of course, the feds generally don't go after small fish.
"The Universe has no laws; it has habits, and habits can be broken."
Sadow
Forum Irregular

Dattebayo (all anime fans know of them) was taken out by FBI a few years back. MegaUpload last year. I am pretty sure I heard the US was not going to act on TPB unless they found evidence of hosting. However they removed a few functions that does not allow for such things, at least to non-registrees like myself.

LordApophisOne wrote:lol @ "Intrusion of freedoms"

It's called 'the Pirate Bay' for crying out loud xD

Not necessarily. Remember that the US claims all jurisdiction over any website hosted on a .com or .net domain name. This is a very important point to remember when talking about matters of piracy and international law.

Of course, the feds generally don't go after small fish.

FBI and the US Govt have no jurisdiction here. Its something most here dont know, or dont care to know. We have something similar to FBI but they are mostly used for actual illegal activities such as murder, mass drug selling, immigration etc.
"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." - Joshua Graham
My Trade Feedback
Drought
Forum Expert

Sadow wrote:... MegaUpload last year...

That actually was a hosting business, they had 100s of servers over the world.
They made over a 100 million selling subscriptions for file storage and bandwidth.

Over half of the hosted materials were copy infringement cases.
a very bad hairdo
Sadow
Forum Irregular

Duck Dodgers wrote:
Sadow wrote:... MegaUpload last year...

That actually was a hosting business, they had 100s of servers over the world.
They made over a 100 million selling subscriptions for file storage and bandwidth.

Over half of the hosted materials were copy infringement cases.

That is clear by the "company" name, my fault for not saying its quite different from TPB
My Trade Feedback
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord

Ive download stuff, most people I know have download stuff, I bet most people here downloaded stuff at some point

All these file sharing sites make the same claim, that they enable legal file sharing of shareware, freeware and non-copyrighted material, and that they cant be held responsible or police the system for 'misuse' or 'abuse' by checking every file to ensure none of them infringe copyrights.

They kinda have a point that their is no way they could check the shared files, to do so would require vast numbers of staff to approve each file before it was added to a shared list, the cost of this which would have to be passed on to the users would be too high and defeats the point of true shareware & freeware.

The fact is this is illegal distribution of intellectual property, but look at Ebay & other auction sites that enable the sale of physical property, do they check every item to ensure it's not stolen ? Do you know if goods purchased off these site are stolen, the proceeds of house burglaries of shop lifting ? Of course not, and if the goods are stolen they will have been taken in a far more personal and harmful crime.

So why target download sites and not auction sites ? MONEY of course, taxes, I dont know what % of goods sold on auction sites are stolen, but the auction sites charges fees and pay taxes on those fees. And the download sites take money out of the pockets of BIG MONEY movie and TV distribution companies who use their power to demand action.

Of course The Pirate Bay was a stupid name, if Ebay was called stolen-stuff-for-sale.com they would get investigated too for being so blatant about it.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254