The Wheel of time series

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Tyber Zann
JUAN's Successor, Buck's Inheritor, Semper's mailed fist
Alternate name(s): Tyber Zann, tom twin

The Wheel of time series

Robert Jordan the wheel of time series.

So far there are 11 books, and he is currently writting the 12th and final one now. But unfortunatly it will be released late due to a blood deseise the author has.

They are awesome books, and the comments from the papers ect say the books have "come to dominate the world that tolkein created". If anyone likes this genre of books id definatly advise to read them. Even if you dont i still advise to! They do however take time to read due to amount of them :P

But once you have read the series you will see the depth of his writting, truly a great writter. The very first chapter however, does suck in my opinion, so dont take the first chapter as the trend. It gets much better. The action really begins in the 2nd book onwards, but first book is essential to read, as well as the others in order, since alot happens in each book that you need to keep track off

sorry for the breif essay^^ but serious good books to read
Help find my old Tyber Zann sigs :(
The Xeno
n00b prophet
ID: 0

As I said in another thread...
I really do not understand why I like them, but I do. :P

I find them an excellent spin on generic fantasy, and while I would hesistate to compare anything to Tolkien (LOTR being such a specialized work) WoT plays the good/evil struggles beautifully, using fairly deep characters, that cover a very broad spectrum of occupations and world-views.

The series’ scope is epic, and the sheer volume of text provides enough room to fully explore hundreds of subplots and intrigues, as well as giving detailed background to the world he’s created. (I still fail to see anything but the usual, inescapable LOTR similarities… <_<)
Plus the author is from SC. :)

Defiantly a modern saga of much note.
Tyber Zann

Excellent! another fan! :-D

got to try persuade semper to read them....he has avoided my nagging so far. lol

I still havnt read a new spring yet though...have you read that xeno?
The Xeno
n00b prophet

tom twin wrote:I still havnt read a new spring yet though...have you read that xeno?

Our library has it, but I have yet to pick it up: Other things need to be read, and i'm somewhat wary about prequels and preludes... :)
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

got to try persuade semper to read them....he has avoided my nagging so far. lol

ohhh..but their are soo many....you never know..as I have a 3month summer holiday this year..i may actually get round to reading them..but i have a long list of books i want to read (not to mention finish my own..)..
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Tyber Zann

The Xeno wrote:
tom twin wrote:I still havnt read a new spring yet though...have you read that xeno?

Our library has it, but I have yet to pick it up: Other things need to be read, and i'm somewhat wary about prequels and preludes... :)

i was told it was pretty good. about Lan and Moirane before they find rand (and eachother)

but im reading Robin Hobb's series atm so time for it later.
blooper

Yea Im reading robin hobb too ;)

Ive ordered a new spring and somthing that is similar to the silmarillion but for the wheel of time.
WolfeReign
Forum Irregular
Alliance: Mist Village
Race: Tauri
ID: 1982144
Alternate name(s): Anakha, Ethereal_Wolfe

Awesome to see some more wheel of time fans. As to the series i recomend it to anyone who enjoys reading. I have personally read a ton of differant fantasy series and this is my favorite to date.
FreeSpirit
Writer of the Gamestory
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects Leader
Race: Tollan/ Jedi
ID: 1947914
Alternate name(s): Wes

ok if this guest spams here agin ill ask an admin to ban his IP
2008 award
Quotes & Stats
Noobert wrote:You encounter a Wild FreeSpirit. You flee.
Drahazar wrote:woop freespirit getting things done, forceful yet kind, the perfect lover ...
GoAG of the Tolah - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I had left them for IP evidence, having already axed quite a string.
http://herebegames.com/StarGateWars/vie ... hp?t=62421
:)
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Uhm, I'll start by saying that I think Robert Jordan has a great imagination, and an interesting story to tell. I thought Book One, the Eye of the World, was a truly brilliant work of fantasy.

But I have two main problems with his writing: One is that he's badly in need of a good editor. He feels compelled to pound ideas into your head. He lacks a good deal of what George R.R Martin, another contemporary fantasy writer, possesses in plentitude - subtlety and/or finesse. What GRRM says in a few words takes RJ reams, after which, the reader has been "worded" into a sort of semi-conscious state only to be jolted awake by an interesting nugget. I would chalk this up to just being a so-so writer, but then I have to admit I am hooked by the story.

The other problem is that - and this is probably the reason for the first problem - the story has been stretched beyond its logical bounds, whether for income-producing reasons or not, I can't say. At this point, I have no idea whether the multitude of names of nobles I've shuffled through will be important and worthy of remembering at a later stage in the book, or whether I can file them away under "useless junk."

So in short, I would give him an A for plotline, but a C for execution.

I did want to give him his props where props are due. I'll continue reading. It's not as though I'm not enjoying a lot of aspects of it. (I've become immune to, or set wards against, the literary tics - braid pulling, glaring, etc.) I like the main characters - yes, even Nynaeve.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Rift
Fledgling Forumer

Re: The Wheel of time series

Rob Jordan passed away yesterday. :(

the rumour is he had his notes set ready in such an event in the way that will make it WoT end like he wanted it to.

link to his blog: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/ . Wilson is his son, Harriet is his wife.

sorry for resurrecting the topic but its better than making a new one
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Ah.. that's sad news.

I guess his wife will be collating his notes like they planned.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Manetheren
Forum Elite
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Ancient

Wow.. last time I checked his treatment was working well.. this is sad.
Tyber Zann

:shock: is that serious?!

Return to “The Book Club”