Vista! Who's got it, and why do we want it?

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
TheSoulHarvester
Forum Irregular
ID: 0

starry wrote:*huggles her windows 95..*

~starry

REAL oldskool player here :lol: :-D

but still it should be my decision wether i want to encrypt my drive or even a part of it! ITS MY FREAKING HDD! if You dont know what Your doing then stop, if You dont stop and delete c:\windows\system32, thats Your problem!! deal with techsupport, and let them laugh at u for being dumb :lol: :lol:

ahem, but anywyas, still, its my call to encrypt or decrypt stuff in MY computer. XP leaves relatively much freedom to do what i want, plus some customizable extras and im set! :D
Emma Desala
Forum Irregular

I thought about it like this. Do I need support?
No, because if I have a prob, I can go to the IT guys at office to help me out. :)

Do I even need bothering with this EULA thing? Yes, because I don't really want to be illegal. :)
Do I cripple its encrypting anyway? Yea. :D

So yea, while you basically cut the brakes of the car you rented at the garage, I don't intend to return to the garage at all, so who cares. :)

Regards,
Emma Desala,
Coordinator
Please read: http://herebegames.com/StarGateWars/vie ... p?p=741495
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

Emma Desala wrote:I thought about it like this. Do I need support?
No, because if I have a prob, I can go to the IT guys at office to help me out. :)

Do I even need bothering with this EULA thing? Yes, because I don't really want to be illegal. :)
Do I cripple its encrypting anyway? Yea. :D

So yea, while you basically cut the brakes of the car you rented at the garage, I don't intend to return to the garage at all, so who cares. :)

Regards,

well continuing to use your analogy, the point is this

Even if you dont go back to the garage they can and most likely will at some point in the future send out a mechanic with a set of keys to your car. He will look around and seew aht you have done and report back to the garage who will decide if you have broken their sale contract (EULA) or not

You cant stop it and I bet at some point MS will write something like googles webcrawler to look for computers with inconsistencies and report them to a human operator. who will be able to remotely log onto your PC and see for themselves.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

can they still log into your pc if you have a dynamic ip? Anyways, if they can access your machine, you can stop them somehow! Also, it presumably works both ways and you could access MS's computer systems! :lol: That said, i'd expect it to be quite hard, unless there actually using XP or Vista on there own network :P
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

sgt.johnkeel wrote:can they still log into your pc if you have a dynamic ip? Anyways, if they can access your machine, you can stop them somehow! Also, it presumably works both ways and you could access MS's computer systems! :lol: That said, i'd expect it to be quite hard, unless there actually using XP or Vista on there own network :P

Meh no clue, but from what I understand its like (read that again, I sad LIKE, not is! just incase someone doesn't recognise the difference) a backdoor for MS into all the systems running it. Dunno about dynamic IPs but if its your machine that makes the first connection by 'phoning home' then I think its reasonable to assume they would be able to.

As for their own systems MS isnt that stupid, in fact I do believe that the MSN webpage used a linux OS server for some time, not sure if it still does tho. Just an example of their hypocrisy.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
AncientAnubis
Forum Elite
Race: System Lord

I tried out Vista on my Alienware - with 2 gigs of RAM and a Core 2 Duo processor, it was idling at 38% with Vista........
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower

point taken, but if it is a back door then...well doors work both ways. They are opening themselves up to being hacked
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
Irenicus
Fledgling Forumer
Location: I don't know.....but these padded walls look nice....

Haven't got it and don't plan to any time soon. Currently there is no incentive to pay quite abit of money for it. There won't be anything out now that will only run on vista.
Relentless

Here my evaluation:

Design: 9/10

Has a smooth modern design with a good look and feel. All the new icons are cool, and so is the colour schemes.

Preformance: 4/10 with default installation settings (7/10 with my settings)

Vista is like XP, comes with aload of useless crap installed. There are 100's of programs that you will never even know existed or will even use that come with it and take up precious Main memory, which it already rapes.

Workability: 6/10

I have found alot of bugs and errors, some programs just dont like it and wont run correctly.

Overall: 19/30

So my conclusion is, if you really wana see it for yourself, then download a cracked copy like me, because you will kill yourself for spending £100+/$200+ on it.
[SGC_ReplicÅtors]
Forum Addict

the games........dont work on vista a screw it
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower

is it still full of bugs like the Beta version? You'd probably be best waiting till they release a newer version with most of the bugs fixed
Speaking as a Mod
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

Thanks for posting, y'all. Relentless, I especially like your analytical breakdown.

So.........current verdict seems to be a resounding HELL NO!
Guess I just upgrade to the 22" LCD monitor instead. :-D
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
Relentless

Well, i think if you have the patience, that you should wait around 1/2 months, by then most of the original security and operating issues should all be pretty well fixed, then its just like XP, download the updates daily. Also hopefully in 2 months, most games and software companys will bring out patchs for their software to be more compliant with the standards of vista.

I do have a link somewhere for the XP/Vista users where there is a list and description of these useless programs i mentioned and how to disable them according to your needs, but the site seems to have vanished. I will post the link if i manage to find another of the same one.
Solus
WAR POPE

Honours and Awards

Apollo wrote:Thanks for posting, y'all. Relentless, I especially like your analytical breakdown.

So.........current verdict seems to be a resounding HELL NO!
Guess I just upgrade to the 22" LCD monitor instead. :-D

yeah, I bought a 19"wide for my new compy. A friend of mine has a cracked version, and in his words, 'pros? it looks purty!'

if this is the only real benefit, i'll stick with XP and a downloaded skin thanks very much! AND IE 7 SUCKS! I HOPE YOU HEARD THAT MICROSOFT!
Ishmayeck
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Drunken Ones
Race: Russian
ID: 21616

Just get Linux with KDE 4 instead :)

~+Ishmayeck+~

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”