Locking Threads

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
Bazsy
The Elder Admin
Alliance: -
Race: -
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

My 2 cents:

I always comment before i lock a topic. And if not, im still post LOCKED. I dont comment only obvious locks. Also you can ask ppls around, if they pm me, i explain it further if needed. And if they ask for an unlock i usualy unlock.
Also i like negative criticizm.

The number of locks are high nowadays even in our section (suggestion / reports). This is because ppls come and post pointless spam posts all around the forum. To avoid a finished topic go spammy (therefore taking the attention from the significant topics) i usualy lock it.
And with the new updates, everyone started posting our section like mad. So we had to make some collector topic, and lock all those who can be posted in one of those. This way we was able to keep the section clean and useable for admin.

Keep in mind that our section is for admin, so we have to keep it even cleaner than other parts. That answers some questions i think.

Also im up for some questions.
Hansbrough
Forum Expert

To keep my mouth shut or not to keep my mouth shut...

What the hey...

I know I've had a few threads locked and/or had them disappear altogether. These threads were, imo, in the correct place. It just turns out they got locked because one person on the modding staff in that section had an ax to grind with me, or another user asked to have my thread close before the topic/war was complete.

I know I may not be the nicest person, but I always try to remain courteous and professional on the forum here.

I've come to greatly respect most of the staff here, and I greatly appreciate the filth you guys do clean up; I just wish some people didn't use that as an opportunity to act out against people they don't like.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

Taxonomist3 wrote:To keep my mouth shut or not to keep my mouth shut...

What the hey...

I know I've had a few threads locked and/or had them disappear altogether. These threads were, imo, in the correct place. It just turns out they got locked because one person on the modding staff in that section had an ax to grind with me, or another user asked to have my thread close before the topic/war was complete.

I know I may not be the nicest person, but I always try to remain courteous and professional on the forum here.

I've come to greatly respect most of the staff here, and I greatly appreciate the filth you guys do clean up; I just wish some people didn't use that as an opportunity to act out against people they don't like.

If you believe that occurs then I encourage you to report it through the proper channels (i.e. pm) to an Admin. The Mods/Admins will not take offence and it will be looked into properly.

(I recall being accused of such a thing during the GA/Faction war - I was exonerated I might add).
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
PUNISHER
Forum Grunt
Alliance: DD
Race: tollah
ID: 55295

I agree that the whole thread locking has become far too prevalent and overly used as of late.While I understand that sometimes its neccessary to do so I think some of the mods should show a little more restraint and not allow thier personal feelings to cloud thier judgment.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s285 ... serBar.gif
you will be missed

Hansbrough
Forum Expert

Wolf359 wrote:
Taxonomist3 wrote:To keep my mouth shut or not to keep my mouth shut...

What the hey...

If you believe that occurs then I encourage you to report it through the proper channels (i.e. pm) to an Admin. The Mods/Admins will not take offence and it will be looked into properly.

(I recall being accused of such a thing during the GA/Faction war - I was exonerated I might add).

I've tried that rout mate, and have had little success. It's hard when your thread just disappears sometimes and you have no reason or explanation. Then again I didn't have certain people on msn at the time either (since that has happened my threads have stopped disappearing at least). Furthermore, I'm just guessing it's because a mod didn't like me, however, very few people are every forward enough to come out and say it.
geisha
Forum Addict
Race: Pastafarian
ID: 65545

Taxo, I don't like you! Now go and post something in the black market so I can delete it! :-D

Now joking aside, I hope every mod does post/pm a reason when locking or deleting topics. And I have to agree with Wolf there, pm an admin if you find your thread disappearing without any explanation.
geisha
touched by his noodly appendage

RobinInDaHood
Forum Elite
Race: Vulpes
ID: 75697

Thread locked? Thread gone missing? See siggy below.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

PUNISHER wrote:I agree that the whole thread locking has become far too prevalent and overly used as of late.While I understand that sometimes its neccessary to do so I think some of the mods should show a little more restraint and not allow thier personal feelings to cloud thier judgment.

Please do not make assumptions/accusations that there are mods who let their personal feelings get in the way. If you have reason to believe this to be the case, then report it (preferably with some proof).

I have rarely seen mods on this forum let personal feelings sway their decisions - some may, at times, be over-zealous - but that is different to letting their feelings dictate their actions.

You guys do not see what goes on inside the Mod only boards - I do - and trust me, from what I have seen there, the mods take their jobs seriously and impartialy, even if it means upsetting a friend/alliance mate.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
Hensenshi
Strange Soldier

I personally do not believe in the delete button. I will lock, I will split, and I will move to the dump, but I do not delete. If someone wants to attack me as a mod, I will leave them with all needed evidence. I have nothing to hide.
CrimsonFrost
Forum Regular

I think it might happen sometimes, mods aren't perfect. :) For MISC sections hit me or Spacey up, 9 times out of 10 I'll re-open the thread.
<Fatana> Crimson you scare me on how much you like to mass :)

CrimsonFrost says:
"Blah blah, your making me mad, stop breaking the rules, locked"

MISC Moderator
Spacey
Forum Zombie

I "confess"(as I feel this is another 'mods need to answer for their actions' threads) to deleting multiple recruit topics, but, it was something that was discussed in the mod station when I first noticed them. I was given the ok, and is what I've been doing.

My process in the Recruit area for multiple threads is:
(1) pm/post
(2) lock
(3) leave thread
(4) move/delete(after a long time)
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

we see it as better to lock than to do things like delete... as locking can be undone, deletion cant...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Spacey
Forum Zombie

forgot to list this mods: t=55697
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Rienna
Really Rienna :p
Alliance: T I T α N S
Race: Tollen
ID: 91926
Alternate name(s): La Reine Du Chaos

I try not to lock. I mean, I probably lock the most topics in the Newbie section, and that's just because once an answer has been given and accepted by another player as correct, the topic just gets spammed with users thanking. I mean, we all appreciate the thanks..... *coughs*

I just give warnings to watch the spam. after 2 of those, I'll give personal warnings, or if it's a big group, I lock and say to PM to reopen. *shrugs*

if you think there is too many locked threads, perhaps you need to start massing the spammers. Maybe they'll keep their spam to the right sections.
GAT-X207
Forum Expert

ya, newb sections reeks with reaffimations of widely acceptd answers
who needs submarines anyway, those little black boats just keep sinking under the water anyway.

Return to “StarGateWars General”