SPOLIER THREAD -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
311 [TA]
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Re: SPOLIER THREAD -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

velya wrote:i think luna mentioned that her mother blew up infront of her, thats how she could see the thestrals (SP?)

that is correct, that tid-bit even made the movie that is recently out......
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil,
is good men do nothing.
*Much props to greenman for my wicked new sig, thanks G oh yeaaaaaaaaah! *
Pele
Forum Irregular
Alliance: The Dark Legion
Race: Ancient
ID: 23879

JKR said in an interview that she wanted very little commentary on deaths etc.. to give the impression Harry was a wreck, which is the impression I got. She was also brief at teh end to give a kind of foggy feel to it, that you can't quite make out everything thats happening.
~Anubis~
Forum Grunt
Race: INDU

i think luna mentioned that her mother blew up infront of her, thats how she could see the thestrals (SP?)

:lol: :lol: u guys didnt get my question at all.

I meant more along the wizarding bloodlines, as they meantion shes a great witch and they never give her a name or tell u anythin about her lineage.
Informer
Forum Regular

not sure wheter this has already been pointed out as couldn't be bothered to read whole thread.

but there is a few flaws in the book.

mainly If Grindelwald had the Elder wand when he duelled Dumbledore why didn't he win? Its an unbeatable wand.

And if you say he wasn't the master of the wand - then dumbledore couldn't have been so neither would malfoy or harry.

Also about this trace - why didn't harry get a warning in the order of the pheonix when moody lupin and the rest broke into his house and used spells.
e.g tonks packed via magic.

answer that
lol
311 [TA]
Forum Expert

Informer wrote:not sure wheter this has already been pointed out as couldn't be bothered to read whole thread.

mainly If Grindelwald had the Elder wand when he duelled Dumbledore why didn't he win? Its an unbeatable wand.

And if you say he wasn't the master of the wand - then dumbledore couldn't have been so neither would malfoy or harry.

Also about this trace - why didn't harry get a warning in the order of the pheonix when moody lupin and the rest broke into his house and used spells.

answer that
lol

if you gave me the greatest pair of golf clubs ever

and gave tiger woods, a pair from walmart ........he would still beat me, and beat me badly ............

i know there is magic involved, but u have to know and understand how to use something ................

and could the duel have been fought with special protection spells in the arena that take away any advantage a wand may give

maybe they arent able to use their own wands

we dont know the cirumstances the duel was fought.........but im pretty sure since it was like a pay-per-view sorta thing or something where there were lots of rules and junk

anyway, im just saying u dont know the circumstances of the battle

so it would be possible for him to lose

just like voldermort was able to lose even when he has the wand etc.....he did beat himself but anyway u know
is good men do nothing.
Informer
Forum Regular

311 [TA] wrote:
Informer wrote:not sure wheter this has already been pointed out as couldn't be bothered to read whole thread.

answer that
lol

if you gave me the greatest pair of golf clubs ever

and gave tiger woods, a pair from walmart ........he would still beat me, and beat me badly ............

i know there is magic involved, but u have to know and understand how to use something ................

and could the duel have been fought with special protection spells in the arena that take away any advantage a wand may give

maybe they arent able to use their own wands

we dont know the cirumstances the duel was fought.........but im pretty sure since it was like a pay-per-view sorta thing or something where there were lots of rules and junk

anyway, im just saying u dont know the circumstances of the battle

so it would be possible for him to lose

just like voldermort was able to lose even when he has the wand etc.....he did beat himself but anyway u know

I suggest you read the book again mate. VOLDEMORT was not the master of the Elder wand HARRY was so Voldemort tried to use the Elder wand to kill harry, its master, so it didn't work.

Grindelwald was the TRUE master of the Wand at the time so he should have been unbeatable when he was duelling.
If he had not been using it Dumbledore would not have been able to take it by force and become its master.

Yet if he was using it Dumbledore shouldn't have been able to take it and should have lost
velya
Forum Addict

also Grindelwald and Dumbledore has history, maybe Grindelwald was reluctant to fight his old friend and the wand picked up on that
311 [TA]
Forum Expert

look man.............i know that ...........im just saying............just cuz u have something powerful dont mean u are able to handle it thats all , and im talking in a generic sense.........trying to explain how dumbledore coulda beat grindlwalnd howerver u write his name
is good men do nothing.
Informer
Forum Regular

yeh alright, ill accept your point even though i disagree.

:-D
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

ok Grindelwald and Dumbledore fought yes but as mentioned by Dumbledore the wand was in reality probably not given to anyone by Death so it was not enchanted to win every battle although it was definately more powerful. If it was enchanted to every battle then Grindelwald could not bring himself to duel Dumbledore hence the reason he was still alive in the cell Dumbledore says that Grindelwald and himself were very nearly matched so Grindelwald with the Elder wand would have won if he had fought.
Spoiler
Dagr
Forum Expert
Race: Asgard
ID: 50627
Alternate name(s): Day

Informer wrote:Also about this trace - why didn't harry get a warning in the order of the pheonix when moody lupin and the rest broke into his house and used spells.

answer that
lol

Where they not doing all of that under the orders of the Ministry?

And the one thing I was confused about was how was Malfoy the owner of the elder wand?

As for the book in general great. A little rushed but if she went into so much detail it would have opened to much more. Although a little more wouldn't have hurt. As for people changing I think it was great, the part with Dumbledore was coming. He left far to much in secret. And every one complaining about the ending being a cliff hanger, I think it should be left that way. It would be impossible to tie up everything. And loads of books leave you like that, you need to use your imagination some times. After all it is a kid's book.
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

Malfoy was the owner of the Elder wand because he disarmed Dumbledore and Dumbledore unwillingly lost his wand and when Harry took Malfoys wand both wands transferred over to him
Spoiler
Informer
Forum Regular

jreider014 wrote:
Informer wrote:Also about this trace - why didn't harry get a warning in the order of the pheonix when moody lupin and the rest broke into his house and used spells.

answer that
lol

Where they not doing all of that under the orders of the Ministry?=quote]

No it was under the orders of Dumbledore, as head of the Order of the Pheonix
Dagr
Forum Expert
Race: Asgard
ID: 50627
Alternate name(s): Day

I swore the ministry new about it. But I don't know, why didn't any thing happen when Moody died?
Spacey
Forum Zombie

The death eaters moved his body, and the toad lady has his eye

the ministry was beginning to fall at that point and they had relative control over the paper too
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."

Return to “The Book Club”