SPOLIER THREAD -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

Re: SPOLIER THREAD -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

just finished reading it today. liked it, but as many of you say the ending wasn't satisfactory

tbh though, i don't think that ANY ending would have been satifactory.

the general immpression i've had over the past 3-4 books is that they are sloppy and poorly written, as well as being overly big.

JKR claims that she had always known the plot of all 7 books, but how many writers are able to create 7 books from thin air, without even knowing if any were going to be in the slightest bit succesfull.

I think personally that she only really sat down and though about it after the third book, which would explain why books 4-7 are so much larger...cos she had to cram the plot into them.

I can only hope to god that she doesn't write book 8, with voldermort dead there would be no villain to drive the plot and the scariest event would be Neville - with great remorse and regret - having to give James a detention or something crap like that. The book would effectively be a list of things which happened afterwards in order to fill in the huge holes still left at the end of book 7.

Questions such as:
Who's Minister for Magic?
What the hell do Harry, Ron and Hermoine do for a living?
What is Teddy Lupin like? is he a werewolf?
What happened to the Malfoys?
What happened to George (which is on veylas want to know list)
etc etc
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I think there'd be a pretty strong reaction against it if she did just do an eighth "filler" type of book....afterall, we know they're all fine nineteen years later...

The only way she could really do it is as a comic relief book with all proceeds to charity....
Dagr
Forum Expert
Race: Asgard
ID: 50627
Alternate name(s): Day

Why 19 years later? :? It's so random.
Shalak
Forum Grunt
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 0

sgt.johnkeel wrote:just finished reading it today. liked it, but as many of you say the ending wasn't satisfactory

tbh though, i don't think that ANY ending would have been satifactory.

the general immpression i've had over the past 3-4 books is that they are sloppy and poorly written, as well as being overly big.

JKR claims that she had always known the plot of all 7 books, but how many writers are able to create 7 books from thin air, without even knowing if any were going to be in the slightest bit succesfull.

I think personally that she only really sat down and though about it after the third book, which would explain why books 4-7 are so much larger...cos she had to cram the plot into them.

I can only hope to god that she doesn't write book 8, with voldermort dead there would be no villain to drive the plot and the scariest event would be Neville - with great remorse and regret - having to give James a detention or something crap like that. The book would effectively be a list of things which happened afterwards in order to fill in the huge holes still left at the end of book 7.

Questions such as:
Who's Minister for Magic?
What the hell do Harry, Ron and Hermoine do for a living?
What is Teddy Lupin like? is he a werewolf?
What happened to the Malfoys?
What happened to George (which is on veylas want to know list)
etc etc

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Pott ... supplement

In an interview and online chat, Rowling gave additional information on the futures of the main characters that she chose not to include in the epilogue of the book.

Harry became an Auror and later head of the Aurors' department, under Kingsley's recommendation. He owns Sirius's bike, which Arthur Weasley fixed up for him. He is married to Ginny. Due to the destruction of the piece of Voldemort's soul that resided in him, Harry can no longer speak Parseltongue.
Ron worked for a time with George at their store, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, and eventually became an Auror. He is married to Hermione.
Hermione began a career at the Ministry of Magic at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, and greatly improved life for house-elves and their ilk, but later moved to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; she helped ensure the eradication of oppressive, pro-pureblood laws. She is married to Ron. She also found her parents and removed the memory modification charm she put on them.
Luna Lovegood has become a naturalist of sorts, searching the world for odd and unique creatures. She eventually marries Rolf, the grandson of Newt Scamander.
Ginny Weasley played for the Holyhead Harpies Quidditch team for a time, then left her athletic career behind for marriage and family with Harry. She eventually becomes the lead Quidditch correspondent for the Daily Prophet.
George Weasley runs his joke shop with Ron, with great success. He names his first child Fred, after his late twin brother.
Slytherin has become more diluted, and is no longer the pureblood bastion it once was. Nevertheless, its dark reputation lingers.
Voldemort's jinx on the Defense Against the Dark Arts position was broken with his death, and there is a permannt (unnamed) DADA teacher. Professor McGonagall, who was briefly the interim Headmistress, did not assume the position after Snape. An unnamed Headmaster was appointed.
Firenze was welcomed back into his herd, who acknowledge that his pro-human leanings were not shameful, but honourable.
Kingsley Shacklebolt became the Minister for Magic, with Percy Weasley working under him as a high official.
As part of the changes introduced by Kingsley Shacklebolt, Azkaban no longer uses Dementors. As a result, England is now a "much sunnier place."
Dolores Umbridge was arrested, interrogated, and imprisoned for crimes against Muggleborns.
The Quibbler has returned to its usual condition of "advanced lunacy", and is appreciated for its unintentional humour.
Hollow
Forum Expert
Alliance: Vampyer
Race: Vampire

i still dont get why she couldnt add some extra stuff into the book, im sure none of use would have minded reading 100 extra pages
Whos Hes a Ninja
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

but what could she have added, which wouldn't have been dreadfully boring?

she could have just included the summary Shalak says she gave as a summary and nothing more. There is no further reason for another book as with Voldermort gone there would be no point.

i do however have a fear that rather than do book 8 (after book 7) she will write a prequel of some kind...i just hope she doesn't
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
311 [TA]
Forum Expert

she said she wrote a much more verbose ending that told everything

it just didnt work right, so she changed it to how it is now
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil,
is good men do nothing.
*Much props to greenman for my wicked new sig, thanks G oh yeaaaaaaaaah! *
Pele
Forum Irregular
Alliance: The Dark Legion
Race: Ancient
ID: 23879

sgt.johnkeel wrote:but what could she have added, which wouldn't have been dreadfully boring?

she could have just included the summary Shalak says she gave as a summary and nothing more. There is no further reason for another book as with Voldermort gone there would be no point.

i do however have a fear that rather than do book 8 (after book 7) she will write a prequel of some kind...i just hope she doesn't

Its easier to create a villain than it is to create a hero, you could fill the book with Harry's exploit as an Auror, catching death eaters. Small portions of the book could include family life, weddings etc...(only small or it will get boring). She can do alot of things that will make people read on.

Even create an evil character out of thin air, maybe one of Voldemorts loyal death eaters tries to take his place at the top of the ladder.
Informer
Forum Regular

unfortuneately Voldemorts death eaters lack the magical talent like that of
Voldemort, Dumbledore or Grindelwald. Either that, or are dead.

so none of them would really quite survive long.
Hollow
Forum Expert
Alliance: Vampyer
Race: Vampire

the stupid thing is if she wrote a prequel id still read it :lol: no matter how bad it is...
Whos Hes a Ninja
Dagr
Forum Expert
Race: Asgard
ID: 50627
Alternate name(s): Day

Hollow wrote:the stupid thing is if she wrote a prequel id still read it :lol: no matter how bad it is...
So would I, and I'm sure that's why she will some day.
FreeSpirit
Writer of the Gamestory
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects Leader
Race: Tollan/ Jedi
ID: 1947914
Alternate name(s): Wes

Finnaly finished the book to after it got released in holland here. So far the best book in my oppinion. I saw some question on why members of The Order of the Phoenix could enter harry's home without harry being alerted. Dumbledore was the safekeeper for the house to. He told the order about it so they could enter. The books ended (for now) but i wish there would be another book about Harry Potter. Well for now i just have to settle with the idea that there are still 2 movies that need to be made ;)
2008 award
Quotes & Stats
Noobert wrote:You encounter a Wild FreeSpirit. You flee.
Drahazar wrote:woop freespirit getting things done, forceful yet kind, the perfect lover ...
GoAG of the Tolah - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK
Informer
Forum Regular

oh man don't go there !!!!!!!!

The films are an absolute disappointment and suck, being polite.

The are in now way comparible to the books, and miss out many good scenes or change them.

To sum up the films in no way do the book justice
Obsidian311-
Forum Irregular
ID: 1337

yea how about how much detail they went into the 5th movie about neville.... lol they try to make them look cool digitally instead of putting out movies that follow the stories... i lol'd at the end of the 5th one... luckily for my wife she hasn't read the books yet so she can like the movies.
FreeSpirit
Writer of the Gamestory
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects Leader
Race: Tollan/ Jedi
ID: 1947914
Alternate name(s): Wes

yes that is true however if you read the books you know the details yes its sad that they are not in the movie but since i knwo them i dont care to much about it. Plus the movies arent made yet so maybe they'll realise they need to put in more
2008 award
Quotes & Stats
Noobert wrote:You encounter a Wild FreeSpirit. You flee.
Drahazar wrote:woop freespirit getting things done, forceful yet kind, the perfect lover ...
GoAG of the Tolah - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK

Return to “The Book Club”