Underrated authors

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Underrated authors

Suggest some. Go on.

All this Harry Potter hype has really annoyed me in a way, because there are so many better books by so many better authors which won't recieve even a sixteenth of the recognition and praise that the arguably mediocre Harry Potter books have heaped on them. And that's sort of frustrating.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest Scott Lynch.

The book I've been most looking forward to this month, is Scott Lynch's 'Red Seas Under Red Skies.' Part two of something he's calling the "Gentlemen Bastards" sequence.

The first installment of this saga, called 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' is one of the best fantasy books I've read. It's well-written and a damn good story. I would highly recommend this book.. but nobody's ever heard of it, or its author.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

Re: Underrated authors

Mine absolute favourite author of all time is a wordsmith genius named Mark Helprin.
His prose is one step shy of poetry, he paints beautiful illustrations with his words. His best work is Winter's Tale, but all his other novels and short stories are almost equally amazing.

And -ZOMG- thanks to this post I was trying to find his bibliography to post - he has a new book out! :o Thanks Mordack!
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
Brythalious
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Warlords of Briton
Race: Briton
ID: 19326

I cannot stand the stupid little ********************

Personally I think Tolkein was also vastly over rated as an author, great ideas dull writer.
Gemmell Is one of the greatest,. Hopefully one day we will get a Legend Film :D
Main ID: 19326. Ascended: 2853
A Warlord never asks how many but where they are!
Arturus Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

Mordack - I just remembered.

Mordack wrote:All this Harry Potter hype has really annoyed me in a way, because there are so many better books by so many better authors which won't recieve even a sixteenth of the recognition and praise that the arguably mediocre Harry Potter books have heaped on them. And that's sort of frustrating

Didn't you have Snape as your avatar for over a year? :lol:
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Apollo wrote:Mordack - I just remembered.

Mordack wrote:All this Harry Potter hype has really annoyed me in a way, because there are so many better books by so many better authors which won't recieve even a sixteenth of the recognition and praise that the arguably mediocre Harry Potter books have heaped on them. And that's sort of frustrating

Didn't you have Snape as your avatar for over a year? :lol:

Haha, no, that was a friend. Not me.

I am a huge Snape fan, though. I consider his characterization in the books (especially the last one), as well as Alan Rickman's knee-weakening portrayal of him on the films, to be one of Harry Potter's main saving graces.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Desnar
Forum Regular
Race: Tollan
ID: 27001

Steven Levitt, great author and economist.

Return to “The Book Club”