Rank Mods need to go.

Suggest any improvements
Sinath
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

Rank Mods need to go.

At one time I agree there was a need for them, but as it stands now they don't.

Allowing someone to have a +30% power over pretty much anyone over them in rank to say is not fair is a serious understatement.

That honestly is not the biggest issue. People have abused that since the update to hit myself and others. It happened so be it. The problem is because of the rank mods you are forced to sit there and take it.

You can't hit those so far beneath you. Either take the rank mods out entirely or make it so that if someone attacks upwords it voids their protection in relation to those they attack.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Re: Rank Mods need to go.

Sinath wrote:At one time I agree there was a need for them, but as it stands now they don't.

Allowing someone to have a +30% power over pretty much anyone over them in rank to say is not fair is a serious understatement.

That honestly is not the biggest issue. People have abused that since the update to hit myself and others. It happened so be it. The problem is because of the rank mods you are forced to sit there and take it.

You can't hit those so far beneath you. Either take the rank mods out entirely or make it so that if someone attacks upwords it voids their protection in relation to those they attack.

AMEN Brother ,,,,Preach it

Maybe admin will wake up on day :?
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
Timmy
Forum Irregular

yes i think they should go

i mean really everyone just gets a 30% bonus for nothing all they have to do is be online at the turn change and they can wreak havok for 30mins it should just be normal for everyone all the time
Taxxy
Forum Irregular

Lore wrote:AMEN Brother ,,,,Preach it

Maybe admin will wake up on day :?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Bob_2007
Fledgling Forumer

I feel so out of place, like a small boy in an arena of gladiators. Forgive my intrusion but to bring a little perspective to the discussion.

"flame on" I suppose, because I'm pretty sure the response to this will be one of three:

1. N00b!!
2. BUILD A BETTER DEF!
3. WIMP!

That said, as a recent first timer in ascention I can see the problem from both sides. After playing 6 months I'm not so much of a n00b I can't sympathise with the big players but on the other hand having "only" played for 6 months I can also sympathise with the small players.

I find it somewhat ironic, that big players clobbering small ones is normal, but small ones hitting back is "abuse".

How many times have I lost a few billion to players (in main, where there are no caps except raiding) that I couldn't defend myself against even if I did nothing but build def for a month? "Build a bigger def". Right...

On ascention AS IT IS if I sleep for more than 4 hours I get hit on by players *way* above me - just like main. So I repair the damage, pick myself up, and go about trying to build, build, build. Obviously I'm nowhere near big enough to understand exactly how bad the rank mod is affecting you.

Hate me for saying this, but it seems a lot of the players at the top are complaining because it's got just a little bit trickier or hazardous to stay there...

Of course not having experienced it I find it hard to understand, so please forgive this post. It's hard to understand why a guy building strike off a couple billion planets would be upset that he can't hit a guy building def off a couple million... :?

My apologies if you're NOT one of those "big" players (thankfully most aren't) that walks all over small players of (relatively speaking) negligible power. Sadly I think the caps were put in place to prevent exactly that, in other words the FEW huge players who abuse small players spoiling it for everybody.

Yeah, maybe I am a **Filtered**. But I really don't mind getting in a fair scrap in fact I enjoy it. It does however give me a right royal hump to get clobbered by somebody 1000 times my size that I never so much as *looked* at...

Perhaps it just needs some downward tweaking to address what has clearly become an issue for the bigger players. I'm not sure I'd be happy to see it go altogether and get descended by somebody on page 3.

Sorry for the intrusion, just a "small guy's" perspective don't shoot me for it. :D *ducks*
Teal'auc of the Tok'ra wrote:I love that guy... :-D :-D :-D

Please give me trade feedback : Hu Flung Dung : 1919242
http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 48&t=97381
Fallout
Forum Regular

Bob_2007 wrote:I feel so out of place, like a small boy in an arena of gladiators. Forgive my intrusion but to bring a little perspective to the discussion.

"flame on" I suppose, because I'm pretty sure the response to this will be one of three:

1. N00b!!
2. BUILD A BETTER DEF!
3. WIMP!

That said, as a recent first timer in ascention I can see the problem from both sides. After playing 6 months I'm not so much of a n00b I can't sympathise with the big players but on the other hand having "only" played for 6 months I can also sympathise with the small players.

I find it somewhat ironic, that big players clobbering small ones is normal, but small ones hitting back is "abuse".

How many times have I lost a few billion to players (in main, where there are no caps except raiding) that I couldn't defend myself against even if I did nothing but build def for a month? "Build a bigger def". Right...

On ascention AS IT IS if I sleep for more than 4 hours I get hit on by players *way* above me - just like main. So I repair the damage, pick myself up, and go about trying to build, build, build. Obviously I'm nowhere near big enough to understand exactly how bad the rank mod is affecting you.

Hate me for saying this, but it seems a lot of the players at the top are complaining because it's got just a little bit trickier or hazardous to stay there...

Of course not having experienced it I find it hard to understand, so please forgive this post. It's hard to understand why a guy building strike off a couple billion planets would be upset that he can't hit a guy building def off a couple million... :?

My apologies if you're NOT one of those "big" players (thankfully most aren't) that walks all over small players of (relatively speaking) negligible power. Sadly I think the caps were put in place to prevent exactly that, in other words the FEW huge players who abuse small players spoiling it for everybody.

Yeah, maybe I am a **Filtered**. But I really don't mind getting in a fair scrap in fact I enjoy it. It does however give me a right royal hump to get clobbered by somebody 1000 times my size that I never so much as *looked* at...

Perhaps it just needs some downward tweaking to address what has clearly become an issue for the bigger players. I'm not sure I'd be happy to see it go altogether and get descended by somebody on page 3.

Sorry for the intrusion, just a "small guy's" perspective don't shoot me for it. :D *ducks*

AMEN Brother
Sinath
Fledgling Forumer

yes but your missing something.

Here is the current problem with how rank mods work atm.

Lets just assume for a second that my def skill lvl is equal to your attack skill lvl.

Now if I have lets say 10m Def planets all you would have to train to actually hit me is 7.7m attack planets. Thats kind of a big difference don't you think.

The problem coupled with that is lets say someone rank 250-300 builds up and attacks someone in the top 30. There is no way that the higher ranked person can retaliate. For straight attacking your only going to be at 60-70% power max. Most assasination and covert skills you can't even use because you get the message :

It is frowned upon in the cafe of eternity to squash those so far beneath you...
It is also frowned upon to engage in a battle with those clearly superior to you- suicide holds no honor where eyes are always open.
You rethink your actions of attacking those so clearly out of your power levels, since it will only bring scorn from the ranks of the ascended.

So lemme ask you. Lets say that the current rank mods in ascention now were also introduced into the main server. And, with that ranking was done in the same manner as ascention so that you couldn't increase/lower your ranking. Now, someone starts hitting you and you can't really do a damn thing to retaliate against them for the attacks upon you.

Don't you think thats gonna tend to piss you off a tad bit.
12agnar0k
Forum Addict

Admin made it so that low people can attack the big players by giving them tons and tons of DMU equilivant upgrades in Power Up's you no longer need the rank mods to help you.
Bob_2007
Fledgling Forumer

Indeed, that explains a great deal thanks. Clearly the problem gets much worse and more frustrating, the higher up you get then?

I couldn't agree more it would be a royal pita to not be able to strike back when someone's being aggressive against you... I mean really, fair enough not being able to bugsplat a guy a fraction of your size just 'cos you woke up in a bad mood, but being restrained when said bug is being aggressive is a bit much.

The only problem I can see would be if it was removed, "page 3's" can go back to destroying/sitting on/descending "page 50's" just for fun or practise...

Address that problem, somehow dial down the ability to "bully" without crippling the ability to "retaliate" (which I'm sure you'll agree are two very different things) and you've got a winner...

Somebody suggested somewhere removing the mods vs players who have attacked you... Wouldn't that work?

Surely some genius can come up with a plan that's fair to everyone big and small alike...

Maybe we can SHAME the bullies into playing a decent game, by having their war records open to public view with some sort of rating system where they're ranked by the relative strength or weakness of the people they attack... Perhaps that would reintroduce some COMPETITION into the game whereby the guys who never fight anybody more than half their size are mocked and shamed accordingly... (Lol. That'd be me, currently. Trying to stay under the radar and build enough stats for a 2nd ascention so I can fix the powerups I made an arse of the 1st time).

Gandalf the White
Forum Grunt

The poor souls who inhabit pages 2,3 and 4 are abusing it by getting a 130% multiplyer to beat my 42 trillion defence. These are the people who can afford to beat my defence anyway but they choose to infuriate me by putting in just enough strike after turn change to just beat me with a 130% multiplyer.

So they get a helping hand from the game when only the # of their attack planets vs the # of my def planets and the powerups should matter.

I don't mind being farmed occasionally, its part of the game, but i hate it when the only reason someone twice my size with 300 million planets beats me is because they get a 130% helping hand from the game. I am willing and have no issues having to compete on planets and levels. I believe the majority of the server would agree on that point. But I think it stinks that I have to compete with the multiplyer when I can't do anything to stop it.

If we have to keep the mechnism in place to stop accounts sitting on those so far below or stop those from attacking too far up then so be it. But set it in stone based on # of planets and make it work both ways between accounts, i.e. A is too big to hit B but B can still hit A should not happen. I just despise the fact the multiplyer is open to be fiddled with like it is now. Its just not right and it needs to be stopped.
Finarfin
Forum Regular
Alliance: Deathwing
Race: Tollan
ID: 40002

Keep rank mods. If you attack someone with a rank mod of over 100%, then they have no restrictions against attacking you.
Bob_2007
Fledgling Forumer

Finarfin wrote:Keep rank mods. If you attack someone with a rank mod of over 100%, then they have no restrictions against attacking you.

Yeah, that's been suggested. Not an ideal solution but would fix the problem of not being able to hit back... It'd also "discourage" people from abusing it once they know they could get hit back.

But I have to admit I'm a tad confused. From the wording of the message :-

Sinath wrote:It is frowned upon in the cafe of eternity to squash those so far beneath you...
It is also frowned upon to engage in a battle with those clearly superior to you- suicide holds no honor where eyes are always open.
You rethink your actions of attacking those so clearly out of your power levels, since it will only bring scorn from the ranks of the ascended.

It sounds like they've tried to tweak it *both* ways - i.e. you can't attack too far down OR up from you... if they got the math right, surely it shouldn't be impossible to hit back at somebody who was capable of hitting you so this shouldn't be an issue... in theory...??

Nigatsu_Aka
Forum Elder

Rank mods should be removed for ascended assaults. If you are powerfull you should be able to descend anyone with 100% of your strike.

But i think that the rank modifiers should stay for the other type of attacks.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Nigatsu_Aka wrote:Rank mods should be removed for ascended assaults. If you are powerfull you should be able to descend anyone with 100% of your strike.

But i think that the rank modifiers should stay for the other type of attacks.

Please explain mate, I personally dont like the idea of a smaller player being given major benifits for being aggressive, and me being given negatives for defending an unprovoked attack.

If the smaller player strikes first they should get no protection IMO.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
RebornRaider
Fledgling Forumer

Do I understand the rank rules properly?

It seems that if you start the 30 minute cycle off with lousy offense power (perhaps because you sold all your weapons), you then get a lousy offensive rank. You can then build up a bunch of weapons and get a 25% bonus against everyone you attack, even if they are a lot smaller than you.

Is that right?

Someone ranked higher than me has attacked twice this weekend and is getting a 25% offensive bonus. They are ranked higher! That's busted!

So ... the 25% bonus is available to anyone who is logged in when the turn starts and understands the game mechanics? Is this right?

Return to “Suggestions”