Save Stargate SG1

Where players can relax and discuss their favorite TV shows a*WARNING* spoilers may abound *WARNING*
Samil
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: The Order
Race: System Lord
ID: 30127

Save Stargate SG1

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but as you are probably aware SCI FI cancelled SG1 maybe you can help save it. As you know, an Exec Mark Stern at SciFi channel cancelled STARGATE SG1! Not only that but he, and sidekick exec BONNIE HAMMER at NBC/SciFi, put a sneaky little clause into the contract that tries to stop any other US channel from airing new Stargate episodes even though OTHER CHANNELS are dying to air the show! SciFi had their lawyers try to inject a clause in there stopping You the viewers from seeing it on any other american tv channel. They threw it away, but they want to stop anyone else having it, and aren't going to let you view it.

BUT! WE HAVE A PLAN!

IT CAN POSSIBLY BE PICKED UP by the BBC. (BBC is in UK, not in USA)

The BBC was contacted a little while ago, and got a reply back from them, and it was Favorable!

But SG1 needs your help on this. Can you help?

Go to the BBC website and tell them to take over sponsorship of Stargate SG1!

BBC WEBSITE:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus/form.shtml

BBC MAILING ADDRESS:
BBC,
PO Box 1922,
Glasgow, G2 3WT UK

BBC PHONE:
call us on 08700 100 222
textphone 08700 100 212

CALL THEM, WRITE A LETTER TO THEM, TEXTPHONE THEM, EMAIL THEM.
And tell them it would be great for the BBC to acquire the Stargate SG1 show!

The lawyers and executives at SciFi channel including Mark Stern booby-trapped the contract regarding Stargate by putting in a clause stopping any other American channel from airing new episodes. However, the BBC is not american, so it can be exempt from this provision!

The BBC has a proven track record of sponsoring many excellent science fiction programs, including Dr Who. And unlike the SciFi channel, the BBC does not cut & run on people, and cancel shows on people. Stargate is the longest running scifi program in the USA, but not the world.
The longest running sci fi program in the world is Dr. Who which ran for 22 years. So they will have a chance to stand behind Stargate, unlike the greed festering at the executive level of NBC Universal/SciFi channel.

Also, unlike commercial broadcasters, the unique way the BBC is paid for and governed means it is owned by the British people and accountable to them. Therefore it won't be interfered with by corporate executives from NBCU/SciFi who are only interested in commercial gains, greed,
and pretend-wrestling.

Some people have the mistaken impression that if something is 'popular' that must mean 'it's good'. This is not automatically true. Michael Jackson is the king of popular music, does that mean Michael Jackson is the best? Not necessarily. McDonalds food sells millions upon millions. Is it better
food than in a small restaurant hidden away in a cozy corner street nobody knows about? No.
Sci Fi has always been a niche market, just like the Gardening channel and FITNESS channel and so forth, these are *meant* to be for a certain interest, they are Never meant to be hosting American Idol and Desperate Housewives and popularity contests. If a kid tunes in to the Animal Planet, they expect to see fun shows about animals. And Animal Planet doesn't try to air "SEINFELD" in order to pull a ratings grab. These are channels with a particular THEME to them, and have always been meant for that kind of programming and are happy with that.

In any case, the BBC is under ROYAL CHARTER, it is in the public interest, so it is exempt from any type of ratings judgements or commercial interests and greed like SciFi and this Mark Stern character. BBC also aired Farscape, for you Farscape fans out there. And if you help get BBC to help Stargate, we will help you get them to bring things like Farscape aboard too, and FireFly, and all your other shows that are sadly lost to SciFi channel. So help us!

And BBC is already interested!

One of our fans Peter has already corresponded with them, and received a favorable reply:

“Thank you for your e mail. I understand that you would like the BBC to acquire the rights for the Sci-Fi programme ‘Stargate SG-1' and commission more episodes.

Please be assured that I have registered your interest on an audience log, this internal document will be made available to the scheduling department and senior management within the BBC. Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comment will play a part in this process.”

So go to the BBC's website NOW, and express yourself!

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus/form.shtml

You will see the following FORM QUESTION:

Step 1 of 5: Type of feedbackTo help us deal with your e-mail efficiently, please select one of the options on this page. You will be directed to the correct webform for your email:
I would like to...
(o) ask a question
(o) send a comment / tell you my views
(o) send praise
(o) make a suggestion <-----PICK THIS ONE!
(o) report a technical fault
(o) make an official complaint

Pick "Make a Suggestion" and click [NEXT].

2. On screen #2, pick "Television Programmes" and click NEXT

Step 2 of 5: What is it about?Which of the following options best describes the BBC service you would like to contact us about?

(o) Television programmes <-----PICK THIS ONE!
(o) Radio programmes
(o) bbc.co.uk website
(o) BBCi (interactive TV)
(o) Ceefax
(o) General BBC

Pick "Television Programmes" and click NEXT

Step 3 of 5: Your feedbackPlease provide your feedback in the box below, giving us as much information as you can provide.
Essential information is marked with an asterisk (*)

TV channel:
You will see a list of BBC channels. Please Select: "OTHER BBC"

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
BBC4
News 24
CBeebies
CBBC
BBC Learning
BBC Parliament
BBC Regional Television
General TV
Other BBC <-----PICK THIS ONE!

Other: STARGATE SG1! <----Type "STARGATE SG1!" into the box where it says "OTHER [__________]"

Regional Channel: type "none" here.

Programme name: type "STARGATE SG1!" into the box that asks for the Programme Name

Transmission date: (e.g. 12 January 2005 = 12-01-05) dd - mm - yy
For the Transmission date, put the date near when we learned that stargate was cancelled: 08 21 06

* Your feedback:
In the Feedback box, type your own words as you choose, but you should talk about some of the following ideas:
That you are writing about Stargate SG1
NBC Universal / SciFi channel cancelled Stargate, and you want them to acquire Stargate away from SciFi channel
You can complement the BBC on their history of supporting scifi programmes such as Dr.Who, etc.
Tell them that MGM is the film studio that produces it, and that MGM definitely wants to continue it.
Tell them that all the actors, cast, & crew love the show and had already signed on for the next season and want to continue it.
Tell the people from BBC to contact these addresses:

The Bridge Studios,
2400 Boundary Road
Burnaby, B.C. V5M 3Z3
Canada

or call Gekko Productions,
c/o Richard Dean Anderson
Tel: 604 292 8525
Fax: 604 292 8550

or MGM

These addresses are the good guys!
BBC, Bridge, MGM, Stargate Prodctions, Gekko are all the good guys so don't send nasty letters to these, send the letters of disappointment to NBC and SciFi channel.

Even though we took the time to type out these detailed instructions for you, it really only takes about 5 minutes to do it.

We are just making it easy for ya.

Ok, EVERYBODY! Go to the friendly BBC SITE!

Thank you and maybe we can save the best show on tv and apologies for the long thread.

Rich.
No alliance - used to be TO - many moons ago!!!!!!
Tok`ra

Re: Save Stargate SG1

Meslamta`ea wrote:yawn, Im months late!.

Newb, youre MONTHS late.
Samil
Fledgling Forumer

Have you contaced them then??
Tok`ra

Meslamta`ea wrote:Im mad that Im months late
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

MOVED.

And - Dr Who has actually been going for 43 years, not 22! But it is unique in its popularity, and more adaptable to change and new stories than SG-1 is.

I haven't seen any of Season 10 yet - it hasn't aired in the UK - but frankly, Season 9 was poor by previous season standards - and there is only so much you can do with SG-1 before it starts becoming the same stories but with different enemies.

As much as I love it - I would rather see it bow out now and be remembered as a great sci-fi series, than run for 2 or 3 more seasons, progressively get worse and be known as a sci-fi programme that carried on past it's time.

Follow teh example of Star Trek:TNG (which had far more potential left in it than SG-1 at the time of it's cancellation) - bow out now and get in a couple of feature films.
Last edited by Wolf359 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
Samil
Fledgling Forumer

Ok even longer than I thought but it shows they do stand by their programmes.
Don Lewis
Forum Regular
ID: 57273

As much as i love SG1, it wouldnt fit into the BBC, Doctor who right now, is filmed in Cardiff, The capitol of Wales UK, using British production companies and directors and british actors.

I dont think there is a place for SG1 on the BBC, its more of a channel 4, or 5 show, it would fit in great there. Channel 4 broadcast SG1 eps all the time.

And i dont think the public own the BBC, we just pay a 'TV license' so that there are no ads.

It would be weird having such a sci-fi show on the BBC. But i disagree with wolf, i think that SG1 will pick up this season, and hopefully move on to greater things.
Samil
Fledgling Forumer

My main concern is the loose ends e.g. what happened to Daniels Grandfather after Crystal skull? Will the Go`auld be wiped out? Will the stargate be shut down? I think if they are going to stop stargate (and I agree it cannot go forever) they should at least finish the stories off properly.
Bragi
Forum Grunt
Alliance: TA
Race: Ancient
ID: 0

best channel would be Channel 4 as they just lost the rights to Lost season 3 to sky one and they was realy pissed at that lol and they have shown stargate for the past 5 or 6 seasons so i say they would be the best ones to pick it up

Return to “The TV room”