Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Christmas ???

What does it really mean ?

What are it's origins ?

Why do we Celebrate it ?

Should Christmas be renamed Commercial Fest ?

Or am I being a proper old bah humbug lol

K so most of us were probably taught the religious stuff in school ( Most of it fake / made up ), forced to act out the nativity story etc, some of us were also taught the stories of St Nicholas giving gifts ( again highly exaggerated ), a few of us may even know the stories of how Father Christmas was made up as a marketing gimmick, maybe some even know about the pre-Christian pagan winter solstice rights that it replaced ( or absorbed into the 'new' faith ). But whats it really about today, how many actually celebrate the religious stuff, how much of it is purely commercial ( annual spending frenzy ), how much is genuinely for he kids, how much is an excuse for time off work, how much is for display & social standing, who can afford, or is willing to spend the most on decoration/gifts ?????

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

Re: Christmas ???

MEZZANINE wrote:What does it really mean ?

What are it's origins ?

Why do we Celebrate it ?

Should Christmas be renamed Commercial Fest ?

Or am I being a proper old bah humbug lol

K so most of us were probably taught the religious stuff in school ( Most of it fake / made up ), forced to act out the nativity story etc, some of us were also taught the stories of St Nicholas giving gifts ( again highly exaggerated ), a few of us may even know the stories of how Father Christmas was made up as a marketing gimmick, maybe some even know about the pre-Christian pagan winter solstice rights that it replaced ( or absorbed into the 'new' faith ). But whats it really about today, how many actually celebrate the religious stuff, how much of it is purely commercial ( annual spending frenzy ), how much is genuinely for he kids, how much is an excuse for time off work, how much is for display & social standing, who can afford, or is willing to spend the most on decoration/gifts ?????

1.) Here is what it really means.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXAqO9Bv ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_JXi4rT ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxAN-b5 ... re=related
2.) Its origins come from Paganism, in order to help covert the Pagans to the Roman Catholic Church.
3.) We celebrate it cause after many hundreds of years, it has come to be the way we know it now.
4.) We can rename it whatever we want, but it wont matter.

In the KJV bible, Luke 2:7-8 says
7And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Now if it was winter time, it would be too cold for them to be tending to the sheep. It is most reasonable that Jesus Christ was in March/April or even may timeframe.

Part of the marketing came from when farmers were able to buy things in the winter time. Working all year around, they had saved up all that money. So with nothing to do as they were unable to farm until after winter, they spent it on other things. This is in part of how the marketing came into play.
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

Re: Christmas ???

I think Jesus wouldn't be too impressed by all the gluttony etc that surrounds this celebration.

You lie to you kids to make them believe in some fat jolly man that gives out presents to "good kids"... they see richer kids getting far better gifts then them .. then as they age some arse is ready to shattered their (false) beliefs that Santa exists..

Also it is a time when suicides increase, and domestic voilence.. due to stress and increased consumption of alcohol plus compounding the issue of loniness those with out families feel..

And the star those so called wise men followed didn't lead them to a baby in a manger it took them to King David who ordered the killing of baby's born at that time.

So imo it would be nicer to commemorate Jesus birth in a more respectful and sedate way.. a meal with family/friends and I'd rather give to those in genuine need. With a token gift to loved ones.

I also hate how the shops start merchadising Christmas in Sept now and Easter in Jan.

I think this has helped destroy the wonder of it all..
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”