Moderator Term Limits.

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Moderator Term Limits.

[-X Relevant posts are rotational already.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Eärendil wrote:How does it remove the 'bias' equation from a nonissue?
It really does not. One could 'mistakenly' argue though, that spending less time with power and the camaraderie of your colleagues changes your moral compass to favour those colleagues and 'dislike' users as a consequence. Folly, of course.
Tetrismonkey wrote:-Lowers the chances of a mod becoming bias
'biased'. Perpetuating the idiocy of Nimras' favourite typo is very unwanted. :smt021 Think about me breaking your skull, next time you go make a thread about this.
Tetrismonkey wrote:Yea, I hate my elected officals in goverment, being lifers and all. I'm sure other do to...
Elected? Only me and Psyko are. *glare* You are being personal?
Tetrismonkey wrote:Anyways, I don't see why term limits would be a bad thing. Bring some new people through the ranks and structure.
And yet, you list 'counter arguments', which by definition are reasons why this would be a bad thing..
Tetrismonkey wrote:-Helps rotate members of the community into new roles.
That should be listed under "Cons", Tettie. Most of the other people here are .. focused on the games instead. ;)
Tetrismonkey wrote:-improves relations between the team and the community
Team = Community. /argument
Tetrismonkey wrote:-Requires some mods to resign or be removed from positions they have held for Months/years.
This argument is not a 'Con'. This is something some mods might not like, but not an obvious 'bad thing'.
Tetrismonkey wrote:-More work for the mod team
This is not true. The job of organising such a thing would fall to Amelia, as the sole fixed authority in the forum. Tssk, tssk.
Tetrismonkey wrote:(These time limits reflect being in that position. Once they achieve this position, they have said amount of time in that position)
Admin Term-1 Year Term Limit
Global Mod- 1 Year Term Limit
Regular Mod- 3, 6, 9 months (review by the team for removal or replacement) 1 Year term limit
Ombudsman-6 months
Arbitrary structure. Bad.
Tetrismonkey wrote:So, these term limits stand as, well what they are. After said amount of time they are either remove/replaced or promoted.
Uh-huh. Now there is another bad idea. This is an infrastructural impossibility.
Tetrismonkey wrote:Regular mods-They will have every 3 months a review done, judging how they have done and if they they need to be placed. They max out at 1 year.
I am in favour of reviews. They were done when I was GM.
Tetrismonkey wrote:Fire away ladies.
Uh yeah. ;) Your turn.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

This idea has been proposed too many times to bother counting and was shot down everytime for the same reason.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Dovahkiin wrote:This idea has been proposed too many times to bother counting and was shot down everytime for the same reason.
Reason = Admin rules.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

ربهالنوع wrote:
Dovahkiin wrote:This idea has been proposed too many times to bother counting and was shot down everytime for the same reason.
Reason = Admin rules.

Reason = the best mods are the most experienced. Rotating mods out would just be hiring a bunch of terrible mods and then giving them the boot once they finally become good at their job. [-X
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

Tetrismonkey wrote:Keeping mods that are good at there job, but are horrible to users, hmm. I disagree Jack. There is more than enough people out in the community that would love for the chance to become a mod. Experience is only part of what makes being good at something. To make the bold statement of experience produces the best mods is utter crap. I work with people that have been doing there jobs for 30+ years, and they suck at there job.

I fail to see anyone produce a legitimate counter argument as to why this is a bad idea. The only problem that I truly see with this, is the fact that people are afraid they will lose there jobs. Well, get used to it. Move aside and let new talent in.

New talent comes in all the time. :-$

No one ever said that experience automatically equals great skill. What was said is that experience trumps inexperience. Firing the most experienced individuals to replace them with the most inexperienced is just plain stupid. [-X
Drought
Forum Expert
ID: 0

your pros are meager.
get some good reasons as to why such a thing would be desirable, and people might actually think about it, the current reasons stated as pros are as usefull as stating that bunnies like carrots.

I am however, more curious to the transparency of forum staff and their state of relation to their jobs.
Users have warnings, and warning levels.
How does that work for the forum staff ? Do they have warning levels ?
Is there a threshold that does make them applicable for replacement ?
What are grounds for replacement ?

I know it most likely the forum's staff most favorite topic, <_<

>_>

not ... but ... as it stand from a community members perspective, ... forum staff seems somewhat untouchable.
a very bad hairdo
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Duck Dodgers wrote:I am however, more curious to the transparency of forum staff and their state of relation to their jobs.

Mods have warning levels, just like users. I think I've even warned a few. :P

I'll let someone else answer about replacement, I'm not entirely sure what the full extent of what the grounds for replacement would be.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Duck Dodgers wrote:I am however, more curious to the transparency of forum staff and their state of relation to their jobs.
I'm not sure what you mean by most of that.

Forum Staff can be warned just like any user, they must abide by all the rules as well. There is no threshold at which staff members will be removed, but if a staff member is racking up warnings then they're probably not going to be on the team much longer... but not because of some written rule of, "they've acquired 5 board warnings" or something like that.

If you're talking about rules for the Forum Staff that we have to follow, I think there is a list of rules. It's just for the forum staff though.

To address what Tetris brought up, if you really think there are enough people for everyone to be rotated out then you're crazier than I thought. A rather small amount of people apply for the job, and most want it just to see what it's like, and after a month or two will go inactive and have to be removed.

Besides that, Jack is correct.. it takes time to become a good Mod. Which is why you start out as Section Mod and move up, no one immediately becomes a Global Mod or anything like that. To remove people on the team just because they've been there a long time is not logical.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Drought
Forum Expert

Empy wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by most of that.

But you awnsered it quite well, thanks :)
a very bad hairdo
Jack
Evil Reincarnated

Tetrismonkey wrote:After 1 year as a blue mod, if you can't progress to GM, then get out. Sitting in a position for years on end, only creating special groups within, protecting each other. Don't you dare say otherwise Jack, I was a mod once to, and saw first had the inner circles that developed in the team. Hell, I fought tooth and nail against those individuals.

You so crazy. You sound just like one of those conspiracy theorists, would you like a tinfoil hat? :-D

Tetrismonkey wrote:Btw:
Dovahkiin wrote: No one ever said that experience automatically equals great skill. What was said is that experience trumps inexperience. Firing the most experienced individuals to replace them with the most inexperienced is just plain stupid.

Dovahkiin wrote:Reason = the best mods are the most experienced.

#-o

Look up correlation vs causation, then feel stupid. :smt047
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Tetrismonkey wrote:Yea, I hate my elected officals in goverment, being lifers and all. I'm sure other do to...
I hate all Governments, but I don't judge my Prime Minister too much as i've never done the job and i'm pretty damn sure that every British person that moans about our Prime Ministers would suck even more if they were in the job. Get my drift?

Tetrismonkey wrote:Pros:
-Helps rotate members of the community into new roles.
-Lowers the chances of a mod becoming bias
-improves relations between the team and the community

So, pros.... :-k
It's an ok pro. There are opportunities for new people to become mods, maybe not as frequently as people may like. However it does seem those that complain the most are those that never apply to become a mod, so not sure how this rotation thing wwould be a pro anyway because people would still judge and complain.
lol I bet you were itching to get the word bias in there. How does it lower the chance of a mod becoming bias? Because the amount of time they are in the position is reduced? lol Tetris, just stop and think about this. The very moment a new user joins this forum they start making friends and enemies. The longer they are on tghis forum they will produce some sort of bias towards certain people. Therefore there are more likely more bias users than there are mods because of the vast number of users on this forum so it would be so easy through a rotation system for many of the bias users to become mods and therefore bias mods. So stop thinking that the longer mods are mods that they will become bias. Because the truth is if you think any mods is bias it is because you are bias towards that mod because you don't like how they do things. Next time try looking at the word bias and it's meaning properly.
Next time you state pros and cons give explanations. How would this improve relations? What if for example, you were to become a mod and some people don't like you and they don't think you should become a mod, is that improving relations? No, so you thinking a rotation will help improve relations is rubbish because relations are only based on like and dislike.

Tetrismonkey wrote:Cons:
-Requires some mods to resign or be removed from positions they have held for Months/years.
-More work for the mod team

Who is this a con for? Staff or Users?
More work for the mod team? How would it create more work for me for example, me being part of the mod team?

Tetrismonkey wrote:Structure:
(These time limits reflect being in that position. Once they achieve this position, they have said amount of time in that position)
Admin Term-1 Year Term Limit
Global Mod- 1 Year Term Limit
Regular Mod- 3, 6, 9 months (review by the team for removal or replacement) 1 Year term limit
Ombudsman-6 months
So would you expect someone like Bazsy to give up his position after 1 year? he's got a very technical role, but I know my way around forums like back of my hand too, i'm very technical. Would you be happy with non-technical people in such a role?

Tetrismonkey wrote:Explanation:
So, these term limits stand as, well what they are. After said amount of time they are either remove/replaced or promoted.
Regular mods-They will have every 3 months a review done, judging how they have done and if they they need to be placed. They max out at 1 year.

Fire away ladies.
So Tetris, who would do these reviews? Who would be the most neutral to do them, because if Admins are to review the GMs and it's come to their time limit then the option for the GM is to quit or get promoted therefore the admins (or one of them) doing the review is then to have to leave? So who is best suited to do these reviews? And what would the reviews consist of? How would mods be judged?
Image ImageImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Amelia.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

ربهالنوع wrote:Amelia.
Exactly. However, my other question is what would the review be based on?

If the term limits is based on length of service as a mod, then what is the need for a review? Because Amelia, bless her soul, probably has little knowledge on how a mod is performing.
Image ImageImageImage
Psyko
The Irresistible

What intrigues me the most about this topic is what sparked a request such as this. Did something mod-related happen in the past few days that I've missed while in computer purgatory?

What has caused you (Tetris) to believe a term limit should be instituted on staff members who were, in a sense, hired and not elected?
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”