Eoin Colfer

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Mark 9 GB
Forum Newbie
ID: 0

Eoin Colfer

Does anyone read Eoin (pronounced owen) Colfer's books? Eg. the Artemis Fowl series and The Wish List?
Spacey
Forum Zombie

I read the first three books. I liked them but they seemed too childish for me. I was hoping to find anohter Harry Potter type book, but alas, it wasn;t to be so...
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I to, having run out of decent literature (I.e. having just started Hume)
browsed a copy of Artimus(?). Personally I didn't find it bad, a far cry better than most of the garbage I shelve in the young-adult section, but still short of Harry Potter, which I would consider the current benchmark for that age-group.
Mark 9 GB
Forum Newbie

Really, thats because its Harry Potter, nothing can really compare to Harrius Potter
WarEagle
Fledgling Forumer

Uhh, JRR Tolkien, the father of fantasy and pretty much the first copy of all imitations...

I wish to confirm this Eoin Colfer's awesomority. His works are gold and the fifth installment came out about 2-3 months ago. If you haven't read them, then my God, off to zhe ex libris, and yes, I'm aware "ex libris" only means from books in Latin, but whatever...

In the Lost Colony, Artemis actually finds himself attracted to Minerva, who like him is ruthless in being famous. Holly Short does die to my disappointment, but oh well.
Jai Guru Deva Om
SGW Fun!
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

The Xeno wrote:I to, having run out of decent literature (I.e. having just started Hume)
browsed a copy of Artimus(?). Personally I didn't find it bad, a far cry better than most of the garbage I shelve in the young-adult section, but still short of Harry Potter, which I would consider the current benchmark for that age-group.

Are you reading David Hume now? If so have fun, he has some confusing ideas. I like Voltaire better though :twisted:
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Heh, this was a while back. :wink:
But time has only lent some understanding: neither acceptance nor total comprehension.
"The vulgar, who take things according to their first appearance, attribute the uncertainty of events to such an uncertainty in the causes as makes the latter often fail of their usual influence; though they meet with no impediment in their operation."
:lol:

But yes, a lot of fun; though (imho) I find his philosophy a black-hole.
An intriguing, and endless waltz of pondering awaits once you've denied the self-evident. But it doesn't usually lead you anywhere.

Ontopic:
Perhaps I/we the misc. mods, should make it mandatory that thread posters provide a link to a wiki page. Just to help the uninitiated locate the gems of literature.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

I have never read Artemis Fowl. Is it too kiddie or is like The Giver where it is meant for younger people but contains a lot of cool stuff?

I am reading Robert Frost now which is why I have been quoting him on the forum today :-D Here is a poem that Hume should have read.

Skeptic

Far star that tickles for me my sensitive plate
And fries a couple of ebon atoms white,
I don't believe I believe a thing you state.
I put no faith in the seeming facts of light.

I don't believe I believe you're the last in space,
I don't believe you're anywhere near the last,
I don't believe what makes you red in the face
Is after explosion going away so fast.

The universe may or may not be very immense.
As a matter of fact there are times when I am apt
To feel it close in tight against my sense
Like a caul in which I was born and am still wrapped.

Robert Frost
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
surfey*chik
Forum Irregular

Re: Eoin Colfer

Mark 9 GB wrote:Does anyone read Eoin (pronounced owen) Colfer's books? Eg. the Artemis Fowl series and The Wish List?
\

Edit:No need for that. Discussion isn't fostered by mindlessly dismissing alternate views;
and it certainly does not reflect well upon your character. /-Xeno
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

yes read all the Fowl books at least 2 times each, also have copied both the Gnommish and the Centaur languages into English alphabet. If anyone knows the Eternity Codes translation plz PM me!
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
surfey*chik
Forum Irregular

Re: Eoin Colfer

surfey*chik wrote:
Mark 9 GB wrote:Does anyone read Eoin (pronounced owen) Colfer's books? Eg. the Artemis Fowl series and The Wish List?
\

Edit:No need for that. Discussion isn't fostered by mindlessly dismissing alternate views;
and it certainly does not reflect well upon your character. /-Xeno

i only said my opinion gosh i dont see anything wrong with that! :evil:
Mark 9 GB
Forum Newbie

Frankly, IMHO, all the AF books are too short, with large text and only about 350 pages maximum.
Ending of Lost Colony was a little weird

I've read almost all of the Artemis Folw books (books 1-4 as well as that other book that contains several short stories and a couple other things [I forgot the name of it]). I just picked up a copy of the Lost Colony from the library, so I'll be starting tht as soon as I refresh my mind on the rest of the series.

sgt.johnkeel wrote:yes read all the Fowl books at least 2 times each, also have copied both the Gnommish and the Centaur languages into English alphabet. If anyone knows the Eternity Codes translation plz PM me!
You mean the one on the cover of the book?
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Idk what you are looking for but this is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Fowl:_The_Eternity_Code

A message from Artemis Fowl. Encrypted.

That is what is posted on wikipedia i don't want to post it here because it looks like a puzzle and I do not want to spoil it for people reading the book.
John Stuart Mill
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

thanks, that wiki link was very usefull :D
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod

Return to “The Book Club”