Dune - Sci-fi

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
mgexiled
Forum Grunt

Dune - Sci-fi

I'm sure some of you remember the old movie, the old pc games (dune, dune 2, super dune 2) dune 2 which actually started the whole rts genre. i would highly recommend the books to read. in the series there is
children of dune
dune
dune messiah
then there are the prelude books
House Atredies
House Harkonnen
House Corrino

there are others but i've forgotten the name of them

anyway, i highly recommend the Dune Series
Spacey
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

I've heard from a large number of people that these were excellent books. Thanks for reminding me of them, I'll try to remember to give them a read this holiday season.
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Ciryu
Forum Grunt

Re: Dune - Sci-fi

mgexiled wrote:I'm sure some of you remember the old movie, the old pc games (dune, dune 2, super dune 2) dune 2 which actually started the whole rts genre. i would highly recommend the books to read. in the series there is
children of dune
dune
dune messiah
then there are the prelude books
House Atredies
House Harkonnen
House Corrino

there are others but i've forgotten the name of them

anyway, i highly recommend the Dune Series

Played the original game... a long time ago!!
The Xeno
n00b prophet

A classic Sci-Fi quadrilogy indeed.
Don't forget ‘God Emperor of Dune’, (the last in the original series) :wink:

I personally don't really care for the new-preludes. Imho, the focus more on appealing to the reader than exploring concepts and presenting ideas on human-nature. (which doesn't make them bad per-se, just not in the same class. imo...)

Also, there were two movies, the one you reference and then an el-cheapo sci-fi channel remake that failed to impress me. I would recommend the first movie, not as a faithful translation of the book, but as a better alternative to the sci-fi one. :)

Finally, you can get the games off of Underdogs I believe, for those who have not partaken of that part of the universe. :-D
CRASSUS
Mammon

I am a dune fanatic. Its been hard but I've read every dune book, watched every dune movie. :shock: :shock:

Infact I'm coming out with a sardaukar sig soon. Hopefully
Mammon, the least erected Spirit; for even in Heaven his looks and thoughts Were always downward bent, admiring The riches of heaven's gold.
superkingtsob
Forum Newbie
Alliance: Eternal Empire
ID: 1996801

the precluded boosk wernt bade consider they were written by soem oen else. :)
The Xeno
n00b prophet

As I said, not bad per-se :P
Herbert Jr. would still be a published author even without the name.

(Assuming he actually does some of the writing.)
Magni
Forum Expert
Alliance: [TÅÅE]
Race: Ancient
ID: 75443

I made it through Dune (awesome book) and Children of Dune but somehow never got around to finishing Dune Messiah. I really should finish it, maybe over the summer. I really liked Dune, one of my favorite books, and the sci-fi miniseries followed it very closely. The only downside to it is it's 6 hours long ... :shock:
Spam Emperor
BMMJ13 wrote:Statbuilder is such a stupid term. What do you mass people with? Hopes and Dreams?
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

I bought Dune last night, I hope it is good. I am more of a Asimov/Adams/Vonnegut fan, but I also bought a Heinlein (Starship Troopers) book which will be my first time reading him as well.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

I do think Dune is an excellent book, there is a compelling plot, interesting characters, excellent world-building and plenty of good science fiction concepts. Unfortunately, Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune only had those things sporadically and had increasingly contrived plotting. I didn't read any more of the books after that, but the sequels being mediocre doesn't stop the original novel being good.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)

Return to “The Book Club”