Heinlein, the Sci-Fi grandmaster.

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
The Xeno
n00b prophet
ID: 0

Heinlein, the Sci-Fi grandmaster.

I would like to premise this by suggesting that Science Fiction isn't just about science, machines, or inventions. It is about the way humans react to the onset of new ideas, new inventions, and new science.

Heinlein, Imho, is excellent at both tweaking the imagination of the reader, and providing exceptional characters and rational plots (bar a few of his later works :? ). His works are both critiques of humanity, and inquiries into science and the future.

Please, join in this celebration of Robert A. Heinlein.
CthulhuSpawn
Fledgling Forumer

I had to use The Google on this one, and it saddens me. Had to make sure he was the one who wrote Strangers in a Strange Land, easily one of the most powerful Sci-fi(ish) Novel of all time.
(\_/)
(0.0)
(><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination.
YEA BUNNY!!
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Is the SGW universe that barren of good reading?
Surely there are others who have heard of/read Heinlein?
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

My dad likes him but I have never gotten around to reading any of his books. Heinlein was the answer to Jeopardy the other night lol.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Gah! I don't believe this. :P
Most be a bunch of Asimov fans...

Do none of these titles ring a bell?

Some of his 'Junior' readers.
(What the current United States school system would classify as adult level...)
Starship Troopers
Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
Time for the Stars
The moon is a harsh mistress
6th Column

Some of his 'Adult' books:
Stranger in a strange land
Job: A Comedy of Justice
The Cat who walks through walls
I will fear no evil
Time enough for love
Friday
Farnham's Freehold

Not to mention his vast array of short storys; including 'We also walk Dogs', 'The man who sold the moon', 'The roads must roll' and etc.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

I am crazy about Niven/Asimov/Sagan/Vonnegut
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
pogopolis
Forum Irregular
Alliance: Åsgard Order Êlite
Race: Ancient
ID: 35456

A. C. Clarke...

...The Rama series.

Greg Bear, The Forge of God series, etc...

Pog reads only Sci-Fi.

Learn to play guitar for real, chump.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Bump

That would explain it. :P

Personally, I've never really been intrigued by Asimov's Sci-Fi novels(Fantastic Voyage and Foundation* come to mind). He seems to me to be akin to Micheal Crichton, only with a more epic scope (and imho) a slight inability to write character. However, I am a big fan of his layman's science stuff, and enjoy his forays into mystery.

Of course, I have never really met an Asimov fan, and thus am blind to any discussion and praise. :(
*In particular, input on the foundation trilogy would be much appreciated, as I really do feel like I’m missing something.
barakek
Fledgling Forumer

hienlin is a truely great teller of stories and someone who REALY understands both the nature of the individule and the nature of socity and how humans act together

however the endless subtext of genetic purity and "man and superman" complex unsettles me, it has implications and consequences that hienlin refuses to see and explore

however i couldnt find a better author for setting up charictars that you cant help but fall in love with and feel like you know on a personal level lazerus long for instance that crabby randy old b**tard is one of the most engaging charictars i have ever found in ANY sci-fi genre lol
if you immeadiatly know that candlelight is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago

my trade feedback thread
http://www.stargatewars.com/phpBB2/view ... highlight=
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

The Xeno wrote:Bump

That would explain it. :P

Personally, I've never really been intrigued by Asimov's Sci-Fi novels(Fantastic Voyage and Foundation* come to mind). He seems to me to be akin to Micheal Crichton, only with a more epic scope (and imho) a slight inability to write character. However, I am a big fan of his layman's science stuff, and enjoy his forays into mystery.

Of course, I have never really met an Asimov fan, and thus am blind to any discussion and praise. :(
*In particular, input on the foundation trilogy would be much appreciated, as I really do feel like I’m missing something.

The foundation stories are the best sf of all time, period :P I am interested into reading some of Heinlein's stuff, any books that would be good for someone who is not used to him? I bought Starship Troopers because it looked like a good start. I have not watched the movie so I have no idea what the book is about, so my mind is not ruined by a tv version. I like Crichton as well, I am into the story more than I am the individual characters.
John Stuart Mill
Onyx Assassin
Forum Newbie
Alliance: Dominuim of Oblivion
Race: system Lord
ID: 57309

Re: Heinlein, the Sci-Fi grandmaster.

starship troopers is one of best sci fi books i've ever read. though movie isnt that bad(sure there were few glitches/mistakes but nontheless quite good movie.) but read the book first, its better than movie. To bad that they ruined second movie(with all that infiltrators crapy bugs :smt013 )

Also does anyone know where can I buy other books from this great sci fi writer?(since im from slovenia we dont have may bookshops with english books)

ID=57309
Pink_Bunny
Forum Newbie
Alliance: AO
Race: Ancient

Re: Heinlein, the Sci-Fi grandmaster.

i read starship troopers and i must say it's an excellent book, it's very actual today, with Bush and stuff... i liked the films too, well the first one and the third one (it's not that crappy if you understand its message!).
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

Return to “The Book Club”