Idea: Attack soldiers help defend, but at low effectiveness.

mgweir
Forum Grunt

Idea: Attack soldiers help defend, but at low effectiveness.

First, I'm still a n00b when it comes to fighting. Please let me know where my reasoning or idea doesn't work.

The problem as I see it is that it is easy to build large strikes and destroy anyone's defense. When you destroy that defense, you can kill a few spies, but it remains difficult to affect that strike. Even if you sab it down, your opponent can buy new weapons fairly quickly. Esp. with 4 days of ppt to recover funds.
Effectively, there is no need to have more than a token defense, and it is difficult to significantly affect your opponent's ability to hit back.

My idea is to have attack soldiers add to your defense (and die, etc at normal rates) but only at 1/10th the effectiveness. The actual number is subject to testing. What I think would happen here is that attack and defense would be more balanced. You would have an incentive to build a defense to protect your attackers. It's also not like real assault troops would sit and watch their country get invaded.

For battles, if you took down your opponent's defense, you'd get to slaughter attack troops. This would encourage players to balance their defense and their attack, use untrainable troops, and generally add a level of strategy to the gameplay.

Let me know what you think, and if there are reasons this wouldn't work, or would need to be changed.
~Massin4Christ~
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
Race: System Lord
ID: 0

Re: Idea: Attack soldiers help defend, but at low effectiveness.

mgweir wrote:First, I'm still a n00b when it comes to fighting. Please let me know where my reasoning or idea doesn't work.

The problem as I see it is that it is easy to build large strikes and destroy anyone's defense.

Everyone gets the right to build how they want to, some choose large strikes and a token defense others equal them, or have a large defense and small strike.

When you destroy that defense, you can kill a few spies, but it remains difficult to affect that strike. Even if you sab it down, your opponent can buy new weapons fairly quickly. Esp. with 4 days of ppt to recover funds.
Effectively, there is no need to have more than a token defense, and it is difficult to significantly affect your opponent's ability to hit back.

Depends on there army size, there is next to no point in massing someone under 25M army size with less than 10% total in stats... Above that and it starts to changed...

My idea is to have attack soldiers add to your defense (and die, etc at normal rates) but only at 1/10th the effectiveness. The actual number is subject to testing. What I think would happen here is that attack and defense would be more balanced. You would have an incentive to build a defense to protect your attackers. It's also not like real assault troops would sit and watch their country get invaded.

No, my attack soldiers are for farming and raiding, I dont desire them to be used in defense as many others. Also, people at war usually dont have a large number of att. supers trained...

For battles, if you took down your opponent's defense, you'd get to slaughter attack troops. This would encourage players to balance their defense and their attack, use untrainable troops, and generally add a level of strategy to the gameplay.

No, its peoples choice to have a high covert, low covert, high strike, low strike, etc...

Let me know what you think, and if there are reasons this wouldn't work, or would need to be changed.
Spoiler
Ferra
Forum Irregular
Race: System Lord
ID: 39507

I agree with MFC. Its the players choice to build how they want.
Tekki
Forum Addict

If you want attack soldiers to help defend, then declare a war of attrition :) And wait for it to be accepted, then that will have this effect.
Spoiler
Initial masser on Field Marshal's 120t defence and on Rodwolf's 177t defence.

The forces of Rodwolf fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 178,947,245,996,720 damage on Tekki's forces!

The forces of Rodwolf fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage on Tekki's forces!
Jedi~Tank wrote:@ADMINS- ALL ADMINS, this is the absolute worst game forum I have ever seen (this sentiment is shared by many) It is amazing how ya;ll can go from good job to complete garbage in no time at all.

Jedi~Tank
A sentiment I can agree with, except some of them have never done a good job. For further details, PM me INGAME Id 9095.
---
Spoiler
Image Image
Image Image
Maha Vishnu
System Lord
Alliance: Pharoah- Goauld Empire
Race: Goa'uld

It is player choices, but so is having lots of covert agents, so is having large defences for income, but all these we are told are not the way to play the game, as someone will mass them.

The biggest issue with this game is that players hide behind no stats.

This makes the game a farce. If you want to war, then you should pay the price.

Players want the Cake and eat it.

Ultimately, if the server war had used the war of attrition capabilities, then a winner (game wise) would of been decided ages ago.

Still cannot understand why the sides fighting in the server do not have a cease fire for 1 week, then sort the alliances into uber allainces and ask Jason to change the war of attrition to be user defined on days.

i.e 1 day to X months.

Then this would shut up all those from both sides spouting there winning, which clearly from a neutrals point of view it is whoever thread your reading at that time, your tactics are no more then CHOAM tactics. Bore your opponets to death and hope then will die of old age lol.

Those who fight by there sword (or plasma cannons) die by the sword (plasma cannons)

Host=Does not matter, Goauld=Maha Vishnu, Ori = ????? OOC:=ME
Descensions
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
mgweir
Forum Grunt

I do agree that everyone should be able to build how they wish.
As a game design, there should be bonuses and penalties for doing so. Or a risk/reward, if that is clearer.
As I see it, there is too little risk and too much reward for having a large strike. And a large risk with little reward for building a large defense. (i.e. you sleep and get massed and lose your troops/weps)
The covert/AC/lifer stuff is pretty well balanced. With the possible exception of a way to harm naq production of miners, but that's a bit different.
There are some problems with planets stripping/attack. I don't know much about this part of the game yet.
The biggest problem is the imbalance between strike and defense. How often does someone brag about a 5t def? How long does that def last?
Building a def more than a few supers has very little reward for the risk, and is unbalanced with the risk/reward for a large strike.
That's my reasoning behind thinking about a change for the system.
Tekki
Forum Addict

What would help here is declare war to mass and reducing the effectiveness of a 1AT strike against a defence. If the 1AT strike didn't kill as many men as it did then massing would become more expensive. Especially with planets as we have people with 1t strikes with about 1million supers... or less. That means their losses are REALLY low while the defender, regardless of planets loses more when being hit with 1 AT. Equalise that for some more risk in striking peoples.
Spoiler
Initial masser on Field Marshal's 120t defence and on Rodwolf's 177t defence.

The forces of Rodwolf fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 178,947,245,996,720 damage on Tekki's forces!

The forces of Rodwolf fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage on Tekki's forces!
Jedi~Tank wrote:@ADMINS- ALL ADMINS, this is the absolute worst game forum I have ever seen (this sentiment is shared by many) It is amazing how ya;ll can go from good job to complete garbage in no time at all.

Jedi~Tank
A sentiment I can agree with, except some of them have never done a good job. For further details, PM me INGAME Id 9095.
---
Spoiler
Image Image
Image Image
scottk
Fledgling Forumer
Race: New age Goa'uld
ID: 1895421548

OR you could have a set amount of attacks you could do only exstented if you win the battle like five and more if you win them to allow raiding for UU
Spoiler
Settlement: Uxama

Appearance:
Currently wearing:

Skills:English Language Study - Expert
Goa'uld Language Study - Basic
CABAL
Forum Expert
Alliance: Aquila Ignis
Race: Death Watch

You have to let the players decide... I agree that there should be some sort of a 'initiate revolution' type thing in main... But if you ask the admin stuff like "ooo! people should build defs as well not just rediculously high strikes" then people will have no choice... You'd end up KNOWING a person's def/attack/covert JUST be looking at their armysize!

MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV -> KV-3 -> IS -> IS-3 -> IS-4 -> IS-7
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

csp4.0 wrote:You have to let the players decide... I agree that there should be some sort of a 'initiate revolution' type thing in main... But if you ask the admin stuff like "ooo! people should build defs as well not just rediculously high strikes" then people will have no choice... You'd end up KNOWING a person's def/attack/covert JUST be looking at their armysize!

Care to explain how you came to that conclusion?
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
CABAL
Forum Expert
Alliance: Aquila Ignis
Race: Death Watch

duderanch wrote:
csp4.0 wrote:You have to let the players decide... I agree that there should be some sort of a 'initiate revolution' type thing in main... But if you ask the admin stuff like "ooo! people should build defs as well not just rediculously high strikes" then people will have no choice... You'd end up KNOWING a person's def/attack/covert JUST be looking at their armysize!

Care to explain how you came to that conclusion?

IF people started implementing ideas which restrict freedom, i.e. the one where your def has to be relative to your miners etc... Things would become so predictable... You'd have pages upon pages of similar troop layouts etc

MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV -> KV-3 -> IS -> IS-3 -> IS-4 -> IS-7
scottk
Fledgling Forumer
Race: New age Goa'uld
ID: 1895421548

what i mean is that is you mass some one over and over your beat them to a pulp and there defense will be none ive done it to some one 10times me size and got all of there stuff
Spoiler
Settlement: Uxama

Appearance:
Currently wearing:

Skills:English Language Study - Expert
Goa'uld Language Study - Basic

Return to “Suggestions Archive”