Moderator: Market Mods

Cole
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Legendary Apophis, Apophis The Great, Legendary

Listing all possible ways of scamming

I had this idea when I seen this topic in bugs section, about a guy who entered too much numbers in a trade broker (thinking the more the merrier, but entered way too much, which caused broker to fix it, thinking it would be cheated ressources or someting, and in the end the enormous amount became 1tril naq), and in the end person accepted the trade and he lost alot of uu.
After that, and thinking about it a little, I felt a listing of all kind of scammings would be a good thing. That way, we could, perhaps, find more scammers than it appears to be, because some kind of scamming aren't considered as scamming, for some reasons.

In my opinion, following situations are scamming, feel free to add more and to discuss those I/others list.

-Loaning ressources to someone, said person doesn't want to give them back,
    -Buying planet locations on msn, person receives ressources but doesn't give planet location in the end or gives one that appears to be different from original location (first was a lie/trap),
    -Buying ressources for money, person doesn't give you ressources after you sent money,

-Accounts trading for uu, you send uu to the person, but said person doesn't give the account details to you,
    -Accounts for money, you send money to the person, but don't get account details,
    -Accounts for money, two people (or more) want the account, seller doesn't tell to every buyer they aren't alone on the purchase, receive money from all buyers and give account to biggest amount buyer, doesn't refund other buyers,
    -Account for uu, same as above,
    -Account for money/uu, you buy an account which is a multi/cheated account and it's held secret by seller,

-Trade broker: you buy from someone who sets for very bad rates (pretended let's say 600bil naq for 1mil uu but in end does 600mil naq), and he/she ddin't do a mistake by telling you to cancel broker to do it again. Said trade isn't profitable rates between friends/alliance members,
    -Trade broker: someone sets you a broker for very bad rates randomly hoping you will accept said broker
    -Trade broker: you tell to someone you are going to ascend, broker them ressources for almost nothing and said person accepts instead of rejecting it,

-Direct sending, you trade with a person who doesn't have SS, so you expect said person to unbank or untrain uu to pay back, person doesn't do so. (can only work with uu/naq payments)

If you have been victim of any of those, you have been scammed. And it's your duty to report it.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Listing all possible ways of scamming

Duty? :? Hardly.
It's a social convenience to others to prevent them from having to use common sense ingame, not a duty to the scammed one.
Cole
Forum History

That is a duty in my opinion. Considering that some scammers jumped accounts very often to avoid being caught, if victims keep scams for themselves, it's hardly possible to trace said scammers..considering sometimes scammers were also cheaters and had multi accounts..it's beyond fighting untrustable people.
Otherwise, problem isn't only about caring/not caring of other potential victims, but it also facilitates scammers' job at growing without having any problem with it (reports for example to reveal their actions).
Then, they sell said account, as almost nobody reported them, to someone who didn't know, said person buys account and didn't see anything wrong about seller, then former scammed ones might decide to act and buyer would be smashed without any idea what's going on, another victory for former account owner who had his ressources/cash and can start again his tricks. He/she would have been careful as he/she would have had a look at reports...however he/she would have fallen into a trick.
That's why in my opinion reporting is a duty. If you don't do it doesn't mean others will do, as they wold be likely to think the same and wait others to do so...in the end nothing would be done lol.

Otherwise, how could you know someone is trustable trader or not? Carefulness isn't sufficient, scammers are sometimes very good at it. Otherwise...it wouldn't happen that often!

PS: I have never been scammed as of now in my 4 years existance in this game.
Therefore, this isn't a personal quest or something like that. :P
Q Man
blarney stone
ID: 0

Universe wrote:Duty? :? Hardly.
It's a social convenience to others to prevent them from having to use common sense ingame, not a duty to the scammed one.

agreed, i know plenty of people who have been scammed who won't give tell people, wether it be embarresment or even pity on the person?

i, more than likely would report it, but i know alot of people have a reputation to keep up and getting scammed witll dent that!

tis a personal chioce imo.
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Cole
Forum History

I understand both your points, I just meant it's not by remaining silent that will solve the issue, if you see what I mean.. ;)
Afterall, sgw isn't like real life in some place where "omierta" would be the law to be followed. :)
Q Man
blarney stone

i suppose those people who want to keep thier pride should just pm an admin and they could post a thread, or one of the market mods. (because they always complain they don't have enough to do :P )
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

A lot of people that rather want to remain quiet come to me and report it to me. They are welcome to, because I don't feel they have a "duty" to publicly post about it.

Personally I feel it is not anyone's "duty" to tell the world they got scammed.
Let's say someone got scammed out of 100's of $$, I reckon they'd be pretty pissed off. Do you really think they are gonna be thinking, "oh it's my duty to tell people". No I don't think so.

Basically the list of scams you have provided above is all well and good, but they are NOT signs of a scam, they ARE a scam. Therefore it's not going to help people spot the signs of a scam really, which in my eyes would be a better list of scams.

Now I understand you have created this list because if someone has suffered by one of those things on the list, then atleast they'd know that they were scammed.... but people don't need a list to tell them that they've been scammed. They will know that they been scammed when it happens. They are all obvious scams. The thing that becomes difficult to be obvious is the lead up to a scam taking place. That's what you should concentrate on, provide a list of things for people to watch out for, and advise them on what they should or shouldn't do.

Don't go telling people that have been scammed that they have a "duty" to tell every one.
Image ImageImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Clarkey wrote:A lot of people that rather want to remain quiet come to me and report it to me. They are welcome to, because I don't feel they have a "duty" to publicly post about it.

Personally I feel it is not anyone's "duty" to tell the world they got scammed.
Let's say someone got scammed out of 100's of $$, I reckon they'd be pretty pissed off. Do you really think they are gonna be thinking, "oh it's my duty to tell people". No I don't think so.

Basically the list of scams you have provided above is all well and good, but they are NOT signs of a scam, they ARE a scam. Therefore it's not going to help people spot the signs of a scam really, which in my eyes would be a better list of scams.

Now I understand you have created this list because if someone has suffered by one of those things on the list, then atleast they'd know that they were scammed.... but people don't need a list to tell them that they've been scammed. They will know that they been scammed when it happens. They are all obvious scams. The thing that becomes difficult to be obvious is the lead up to a scam taking place. That's what you should concentrate on, provide a list of things for people to watch out for, and advise them on what they should or shouldn't do.

Don't go telling people that have been scammed that they have a "duty" to tell every one.

*applauds* Exactly.
Cole
Forum History

Report in a thread, to a mod/admin or a scammers/cheaters hunter is all welcomed, that's why I didn't precise where/how to report it. :P

I just meant, do not remain silent on this. :)
Afterall, there's a sticked thread that could be used by mods or people who got told privately about an issue to post scammer username and ID(s) there.
schuesseled
Forum Expert
ID: 33241

A simple rule to follow should usually be, if it sounds too good to be true with the only condition that you trust the other trader before he pays you or w.e, then thats probably because it is too good to be true.
12agnar0k be taking over this here account, argh!

Return to “Market Discussion”