H.P. Lovecraft

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
CthulhuSpawn
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

H.P. Lovecraft

Widely considered to be the father of modern Horror Lovecraft has almost become a staple of modern Horror.

If you havent read or heard of him thats alright but you've probably more then once heard some of his works talked about case and point my name is also the name of his most famous creation and his children.

Discuss how you feel about Lovecraft and his works.
(\_/)
(0.0)
(><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination.
YEA BUNNY!!
Come_Forth
Forum Expert
ID: 0

His stuff is creepy :wink:
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

I like Brian Lumley's more modern take on Lovecraft's mythology.
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
Kalkin
Forum Irregular
Alliance: Ascended Generation
Race: Tollan
ID: 10351

"The case of Chales Dexter Ward" was really good. unfortunatley Lovecraft isn't translated much to estonian and the books shops doesn't have it in usually.
Finarfin
Forum Regular
Alliance: Deathwing
ID: 40002

What are some of the texts he has written? Was it him who wrote the Time
Machine?
Kalkin
Forum Irregular
Alliance: Ascended Generation
ID: 10351

Lovecraft's works

The Time Machine was written by another classic, allthough representative of genre science fiction, Herbert George Wells.
mgexiled
Forum Grunt

man....H.P Lovecraft...
one word. twisted. me and my brother sat down and watched H.P LoveCraft's Re-Animator and H.P Lovecraft's Dagon. i know they aren't the books but the message gets across. the most disturbing viewing but it was disturbingly good.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Re: H.P. Lovecraft

Lovecraft is awesome.

The first Lovecraft story I read was "Rats in the Walls", when I was twelve. It starts off slowly, but climaxes brilliantly. He has a talent for being able to turn potentially silly and ridiculous ideas into genuinely creepy and unsettling stories.

There's no doubt that the man had serious flaws as a writer, and as a person. (If you know anything about his life, however, it's somewhat amazing that he was ever mentally together enough to complete a manuscript.)

Equally, though, there's no doubt that he was and is massively influential in the horror genre. He is easily as important as King, Bloch, Romero or anyone in that genre you can name. His stories are still in publication today, despite their problems, and people still cite him as a primary influence.

I also can't resist giving a link to this hilarious musical adaption of his work.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Re: H.P. Lovecraft

I really want to read Lovecraft's work...just haven't gotten up the testicular fortitude to go looking for it...

It'll happen though, very soon... :smt047
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"

Return to “The Book Club”