The Hunger Games

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

The Hunger Games

Based off the YA novel published in 2008.

Simple plot overview (via IMDB):
Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

This is the best movie I have seen of 2012 thus far!

If you haven't read the book, it is still a very good film. Strong story, good cinematography, and the action keeps you locked into the story. It's 2 hrs 22 mins long and I hardly noticed.

For those who have read the book (or the full trilogy), you will enjoy that it stays very true to the novel. There are some considerations to be made in a film adaptation but each change only bettered the story.

I spent $24 to see it with a friend and I don't regret a cent of it. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that about a film. I'd see it again in a second if any of my other friends mention an interest.

Go! Share your thoughts. (Maybe start a debate with me if you disagree :P)
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Gohan
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: MaYHeM HC
Race: Jem'hadar
ID: 1913240
Alternate name(s): Gohan, Hope, Kira, Vix, ~Xtr3m3_t14rgri4N.

Re: The Hunger Games

I loved this movie but HATED the ending. So not to hand out spoilers about the movie, its all below!

[spoiler]The start was amazing and i loved it, Cat was hot and she was good at what she did, the plot was all working perfect and running smoothly. The middle, well elezabeth bank's costume was a lil WTH, but shes hot so we'll let her off. Then we meet Woody, in my eyes, after that prefermance, still one of the best and most underrated around! Its just the ending, i **Filtered** hated how they ended it. If they had finished with them eating those berries and dying in a vague Romeo and Juliet way, i would of said its the greatest and most powerful movie I've seen in past 10years. I know it was following a book, but the route it took, no. It should of went a lil off the beaten path, screw any follow ups, or if you need a follow up, get the guy to 'avenge' Cat. However, no, they should of commited suicide, a big middle finger at the government and that we are not your play things. Would of worked and transcended the movie in so many levels. It would of been a revolt, a classic and one of my all time fav movies ever. End of Rant.[/spoiler]
R8
Forum Elder
Alliance: TL Leader

I saw this the other day. I love jennifer lawrence. I had the pleasure of seeing her in Xmen first class which i played a small role as an extra. she is HOT.

as for the story line of the hunger games there was something about putting 24 kids in a jungle to kill each other which ultimately I did not find appealing. It kinda reminded me of some of those documentaries where starving children in certain countries have to literally kill and hunt for food. I like to think our world will not be like that in the future.

The action and other parts of the story line and "the flames" were pretty cool

good film overall.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Military Experience 1,xxx,138,430,217 Ranked: 1
Naquadah Stolen 8,xxx,795,393,564,617
Juliette wrote: Cheapo. You shouldn't go for anything under $100Billion, Gohanman. ;)
Check out my greatest hit
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 0&t=151693
My 2nd greatest hit
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 1&t=188473
sarparto
Forum Regular

They ruined the story and the shaky camera was awful. The acting, set design, and costume design were great. Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson were especially great.
~Drunken Master~
Forum Regular
Race: Drunken

wasn't to sure if I should see it, seen the trailer but from the feed back I guess I should see it.

I seen John Carter the other day not bad 5 from 10
Spoiler
Spoiler
EAT THE WATERMELON
Forum Irregular
Alternate name(s): jesus

i actualyh was in jaul when i first read the book, going to see the movie was a get out of jail present

though i was highly mad

[spoiler2=heres why]they compleetly took away 99.62% of the significance away from the mocking jay
its kinfo a crutial element to the story line and the movie made it seem like a piece of junk she happend to find at the hob[/spoiler2]
quotes
SSG EnterTheLion wrote:
PS: Eat the watermelon- all I can say is ](*,)
MEZZANINE wrote:Saw a comedian the other day, he said there are now condoms with anesthetic on the inside to numb a man and make him last longer, but he found a better use, put them on inside out and you never have to wake your misses up when you get home drunk and fancy a bit :smt043

Oh wait.. I mis-read the topic, thought you said entering in the night lol
Jedi~Tank wrote:If you tards spent as much time moding these forums as you do arguing with players over ingame **Filtered** this might be ok one day..my guy got **Filtered** over, I dont care what the reason is we want it corrected, no need to come in and spam yet ANOTHER thread with an argument on someone else's behalf, and take your warning and shove it up your ass. ;)
old siggies
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Very good film in my opinion, well worth the 4/5 stars Avatar equivalence it got. However it is a little overrated. I would not say it was genre defining or any of that...
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

the movie was not bad, it was a pretty decent translation from the book, however the one thing that I feel was lacking strongly in the movie was the inner dialogue that Katniss has. Yes I know its difficult to put that in a movie its just that, that was one of the most important aspects of the book you felt what she was going through because you were with her the entire time, and that I think was the missing link in this movie
Spoiler
Castiel
Forum Expert
Alliance: DDE
Race: Angel
ID: 10351

sarparto wrote:They ruined the story and the shaky camera was awful. The acting, set design, and costume design were great. Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson were especially great.

The shaky camera is mainly to due the fact that a large portion of the fans are teenagers. The shaky
camera makes the fight scenes less brutal as you can't see as much to whats going on, so if they wouldn't
have used the shaky camera the movie would probably not have passed as PG-13, meaning they'd betray
a large portion of the fan base by denying them to see it in cinemas due to rating :)
What's it feel like? Took the wrong route
Watch it fall apart now you're knockin' at the wrong gate
For you to pay the toll, a price for you alone
The only deal you'll find, I'll gladly take your soul

Eleven's hour is over now, the clock is striking Twelve.
sarparto
Forum Regular

Castiel wrote:
sarparto wrote:They ruined the story and the shaky camera was awful. The acting, set design, and costume design were great. Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson were especially great.

The shaky camera is mainly to due the fact that a large portion of the fans are teenagers. The shaky
camera makes the fight scenes less brutal as you can't see as much to whats going on, so if they wouldn't
have used the shaky camera the movie would probably not have passed as PG-13, meaning they'd betray
a large portion of the fan base by denying them to see it in cinemas due to rating :)

I agree with a large part of what you say, but they used the shaky camera during dialogue scenes too.
EAT THE WATERMELON
Forum Irregular
Alternate name(s): jesus

they blatently ignored the significance of the mocking jay

they massivley downplayed catniss's relationship with rue

infact everything remotly important they downplayed

the only thing they did get right was the goofy looking capitol people

watch the movie first then read teh book
quotes
SSG EnterTheLion wrote:
PS: Eat the watermelon- all I can say is ](*,)
MEZZANINE wrote:Saw a comedian the other day, he said there are now condoms with anesthetic on the inside to numb a man and make him last longer, but he found a better use, put them on inside out and you never have to wake your misses up when you get home drunk and fancy a bit :smt043

Oh wait.. I mis-read the topic, thought you said entering in the night lol
Jedi~Tank wrote:If you tards spent as much time moding these forums as you do arguing with players over ingame **Filtered** this might be ok one day..my guy got **Filtered** over, I dont care what the reason is we want it corrected, no need to come in and spam yet ANOTHER thread with an argument on someone else's behalf, and take your warning and shove it up your ass. ;)
old siggies
sarparto
Forum Regular

EAT THE WATERMELON wrote:they blatently ignored the significance of the mocking jay
Ya. I understand why they had to alter the way she gets it in the movie, as compared to the book, but don't feel they did enough to demonstrate the significance of it.

they massivley downplayed catniss's relationship with rue
Given the time constraints I thought they covered this relationship well. The relationship they royally **Filtered** was Katniss/Peeta. Which is one of, if not, the most significant relationship in the movie.

infact everything remotly important they downplayed

the only thing they did get right was the goofy looking capitol people
Story-wise this is true. I still think the acting, costumes, sets were fantastic.

watch the movie first then read teh book
The only way to enjoy both, imo, is to experience them in this order. I heard the director may not be back for the second film and that'd be for the best. While I enjoyed the behind the "Games" scenes that weren't in the book, he used the shaky camera too much and messed up most of the significant aspects from the book as you mentioned earlier. That's the mother of all run on sentences, but **Filtered** it.
Psyko
The Irresistible

I just want to be clear on one aspect of this discussion: the Director is not necessarily the person "behind" the shaky camera shots. You see, there's this thing...well, person...called the Cinematographer. The beauty of this Cinematographer is that he is in charge of actually shooting the film, and even how the film is shot, including vast amounts of knowledge and wisdom in regard to camera angles, film speed, and method of filming. Yes, some directors take a more hands-on approach or work more closely with this elusive Cinematographer, but others trust the Cinematographer to know what he's doing. The director merely directs the people on the other side of the camera lens.

I'd be more concerned about if the same cinematographer comes back for the sequel than the director if that were one of my biggest issues with the film.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Return to “Grand Cinema”