Maybe - I don't have teh exp
59%

Total votes: 17
hokiehomeboy
Forum Regular
Alliance: Suicide Squad
Race: Hitman

Re: Open Source Ascended Android Application

I've got plenty of experience with java and might can help if needed. My main concern is one of security seeing as how that is my degree concentration.
Signature Here
[IMG]http://terranfamily.win/sigs/tommy/TestSig3.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you Tweetygirl for the glorious siggy!

[IMG]http://terranfamily.win/sigs/tommy/TestSig2.jpg[/IMG]
Lu Bu
Forum Intermediate
ID: 96625

I may have some time for this - at least 2 hours/week. I have experience with all 3 you listed. Haven't coded for Android before, but definitely interested in learning as i go.
~King of the Goa'uld~
A powerful and intelligent Goa'uld, Lu Bu was a leader among the System Lords and is one of the oldest Goa'uld to currently hold that rank.
Legend says that Lu Bu sprang forth into the world from a dragon's body, and possessed great mythic powers.
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

The framework is about 80% complete, fixing a few paging issues.
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Sol
Forum Addict

Right, 2 months later and the basis is done. Will do all the jazz (login etc) and place you on the realm page of which some stats are produced (from the player).

So it's basically at the point where I need to decide if this will be partly open sourced or not. So if you think you can hack it and want a few more details keep reading.

Things that need to be done can be found below, some are simple things, for instance the introspection page is just about the layout and displaying what you're given. Others are harder, the cosmos page and it's subset, while it's not so much hard core logical and problem solving 101 it will take time and a few tricks.

TODO
[spoiler]- Produce a generic page/layout

- include some niceties e.g. please wait loading

- Complete realm page
--realm alert button change
--prefs page

- Complete Introspection page

- Complete Powerups page
-- buttons/inputs for buying powerups

-Demi-Gods: Current on hand
--New update (I'll do this)
--equipping button
--deleting button
-Demi-Gods: Requests
--accepting button
-- rejecting button

-Cosmic Development page
--buttons and input for training
--buttons and input for untraining
--Fleets buying
--new update (I'll do this)

-Planetary fleets page
-- buttons and input for buying weps
-- buttons and input for selling
-- buttons and input for repairs

-Cosmos page
-- quick attack buttons
-- listing
--stats page
---all buttons
---pages related to stats page for attack/planet input

-historic battles page
--listing incoming/outgoing
--filter functions

-Histories of deceipt page
--same as above.

-cosmic trade page
--inputs and buttons

-command star
--inputs and buttons for buying slots
--inputs and buttons for buying weps

-logout (I'll do it)[/spoiler]

Going about getting and checking things will be fairly easy, I've made most of the core functions you will ever use, for instance, if I take a section out of the realm page....

[spoiler]

Code: Select all

//we essentially have two main functions, onCreateView as its name suggests, is called once the 
//fragment is created (aka when someone clicks on the realm page, after this, onStart is called.

public View onCreateView(LayoutInflater inflater, ViewGroup container, Bundle savedInstanceState)
	{

super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        return inflater.inflate(R.layout.fragment_realm, container, false); //display page first for speed

}

@Override 
 public void onStart() { 
      super.onStart(); 
      AscEngine engine = new AscEngine(getActivity()); //create an activity of the functions with reference to its running activity

String userToken=engine.prefs.getString("userToken", ""); //user token set upon login 

String realmStats = engine.send(userToken,"REQUEST_REALM_STATS_NOW_PLEASE"); //usertoken required on request to server, second parameter is the request reference.

String[] detail = realmStats.split(";"); //response is semi-colon delimitered in this case

engine.setTextView(R.id.textView1, detail[0], getActivity()); //request function of engine to set text of the current view (with reference to the running activity of course)
}
[/spoiler]
You can see:
Effectively, you send a request to the server to with - what you could call - a session, to give you whatever you requested, and then use it.
This means you will have to tell me what you need so I can make it and give you the reference key. We want to maximize efficiency, security and durability, after all the app is being made so people aren't waiting 5 years to download a normal ascended page on their device and racking up a chunky data bill, as such most of the calcs will be done and checked on the server before replied, so there is minimal hang time on the device.
You can make your own functions and what not, but aside from the todo, I'll do/have done the rest.

If enough people can and will input the time into it then I'll open source it, otherwise I may as well slowly go along and do it. It does mean though you can (within reason) design the layout of the page you want to do - and make it better.

Any takers?
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Slim87R
Forum Expert

I got a middle of the road phone and it downloads ascended pages just fine. Not really slow or anything. Granted it is slow enough to make farming a pain. An Android App does sound way more convenient though, and could potentially bring in way more people (Just random people browsing the market), provided the app itself is free. The only issue I see arising out of this is the fact that Ascended is not a stand alone. You may get a lot of people downloading the app only to find they cant play it until they log onto main and play that first. That could be a turn off to a lot of people.
Sol
Forum Addict

Slim87R wrote:I got a middle of the road phone and it downloads ascended pages just fine. Not really slow or anything. Granted it is slow enough to make farming a pain. An Android App does sound way more convenient though, and could potentially bring in way more people (Just random people browsing the market), provided the app itself is free. The only issue I see arising out of this is the fact that Ascended is not a stand alone. You may get a lot of people downloading the app only to find they cant play it until they log onto main and play that first. That could be a turn off to a lot of people.
The app itself was meant to accommodate the users wanting to play from a phone at ease. While it's not much of a lag on downloading pages with the speed of internet (for some devices - others have trouble), it's a bit of a hassle fighting a live battle or playing in the arena, especially having to continually resize the page.
Wasn't meant to bring in people from the market :P. That's the job of whoever is in charge of main/NG.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Setesh
Lord of the Abyss
ID: 89014

Sol wrote: Wasn't meant to bring in people from the market :P. That's the job of whoever is in charge of main/NG.

Not to mention that they'd quickly discover they can't sign up, they have to play an entirely different game for at least 2 weeks to even be able to login :P
[00:52:43] chacho67430: Di... setesh says thanks
[00:53:03] DeathIncarnator: someone kill setesh
Extremer wrote:I shall Enter TheLion
[4:54:59 PM] robert_paul97: (gay)
[4:55:08 PM] robert_paul97: (gaypartty)
[4:55:14 PM] robert_paul97: not work
Sol
Forum Addict

Well I did make a thread some time ago asking if I should make ascended standalone, or able to signup or w.e.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Slim87R
Forum Expert

I do think a lot of people will randomly find the app even if the purpose is not to bring in new people. I was just saying that this is a good opportunity to expand the popularity of ascended server. Being able to start an ascended account without main is not a bad idea, it just means they wont get large APP, or have ascended blessings to main. You could have it so you can start in Ascended then have the option to create a main account and associate it to your ascended account later if you decide to play that too.
Sol
Forum Addict

Slim87R wrote:I do think a lot of people will randomly find the app even if the purpose is not to bring in new people. I was just saying that this is a good opportunity to expand the popularity of ascended server. Being able to start an ascended account without main is not a bad idea, it just means they wont get large APP, or have ascended blessings to main. You could have it so you can start in Ascended then have the option to create a main account and associate it to your ascended account later if you decide to play that too.
Already discussed it some time ago :P
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=190363&hilit=+standalone
(standalone and just a typical signup option with ties to main still)
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Return to “Ascended General”